1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I am talking about the record here, not the film. However, the film is worthy of discussion as well. I pulled out the LP a few days ago and have been playing it almost every night. I'm lucky enough to have it on Mobile Fidelity, a direct master done by Victor Corp. of Japan. It's quiet and the sound is very good.

This is the first record where the boys wrote all of their own material. It is a marvel of Pop music, and quite possibly the best Pop record ever made. As much as I love Rubber Soul and Revolver, this is my favorite Beatles record. This illustrates why the Fab Four took America by storm. The record is robust, devoid of production gimmicks or outlandish ideas. This is a very straightforward representation of the Beatle's song craft. Each song is compelling and fun in it's own right. There is nothing heavy to ponder here, just wonderful joyous tunes of youth and exuberance.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Good post, Dan! Rubber Soul and Revolver are two of my favorites, but I tend to lean on Abbey Road (mostly the second half) more than anything. I have to admit I've probably never given A Hard Day's Night as much time as it deserves, but on your recommendation that's the album I'll be listening to next time I'm out in the shop.

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Exactly! One of my favorites is Tell Me Why. Although he doesn't seem to be credited much with this, Lennon could put together a mean chord progression. These are often organized into phrases that have their own unique emotional worlds that he plays off each other. The brevity of these songs, ranging from 1:45 to a whopping 2:43, really helps drive the chord progressions.

In Classical music in longer forms, such as symphonies and sonatas, composers expanded the idea of chord progressions to larger harmonic areas in other keys. A good example is the first movement of symphonies in a minor key. They typically start in the minor key with the first theme. This is followed by the second theme in the relative major key, which is often more lyrical and calming than the first theme. This kind of interplay among themes and key areas is developed throughout the course of the movement, and is what gives the music its dramatic character and propels the narrative.

Using his own harmonic language, Lennon does something similar in his tightly compressed short song forms. The Beatles' early successes in the studio, in part, was due to the way they (and Martin) "orchestrated" the songs' harmonic structures. This was where Ringo's drumming was at its most brilliant, aided and abetted by McCartney's shockingly original bass lines and Harrison's instrumental breaks. I read recently that McCartney said that George and Ringo deserved a lot of credit for their ability to "get it" in the studio, without needing a lot of direction from the others.

They were given such enormous rewards for their work, which they funneled back into their music. They always took their jobs seriously and didn't squander their opportunities and great fortune.

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

xafinity likes this.
  5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's a great album although I'm not so keen on the orchestrated instrumental versions of 4 songs in the North American release that were included with the movie.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister

I should have known better is probably my favorite Beatles song, the perfect pop composition and execution.
    My favorite album though is Sgt Pepper.

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Hardest working band most achieved in short space of time? Any rivals to that? Not in my book.

8. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, the UK version is my favorite Beatles album. and i'm a big fan.

....and that CHORD!!!!

9. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Great album. I'll have to give it a listen again soon.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My biggest memory of those early songs was watching the cartoon series after school..... great stuff...:)

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  11. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Love how much of the Beatles music (especially the early stuff) has such an infectious happiness about it, just makes you want to join in.

Frank'n'censed and bloomz like this.
  12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My favorite as well. I call it 'The John Album'. Height of Beatlemania and he was the heart and soul of the band at the time.

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Great tune. As far as I know, it is the only Beatles song ever covered by the Beach Boys. That says a lot.

Scott

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I just listened to it. Pretty cool, even if the recording has claps and party sounds laid on top.

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The Beach Boys album "The Beach Boys Party! Uncovered and Unplugged" covers "I Should Have Known Better" (4 versions), "Tell Me Why", "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", "Twist and Shout" and "Ticket To Ride". Found this album on Apple Music - great stuff.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    E5RSY likes this.
  16. telemenow

telemenow Tele-Meister

One of the greatest....my fave is Rubber Soul, but I also put Beatles '65 at the top, too...incredible tunes, and they were starting to go in the slightly more acoustic direction, as in Rubber Soul! And no discussion of "A Hard Day's Night" would be complete without "what is that opening chord?" It's a D7sus.4!!!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the opening chord that stopped the world....of guitarists...;)

bloomz likes this.
  18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

G7sus4....

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

20. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

What I like about the title cut is that it's in the mixolydian mode, with a flat 7th. But in the bridge, written by Paul, the first note is the natural seventh. The change in mode gives the tune quite a lift.

darkwaters and Chicago Matt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.