Beatle content sobering reality of who was best. King of the hill.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Jun 17, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Double entendres...

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Beatles but their interviews always come across as awkward to me.
    I can't remember ever watching a interview that come across as a relaxed chat with a down to earth guy or group of guys. Might be because they are cautious of the press and their sensationalism, way of twisting things and the interviewer must know that they wield enormous power through their fan base that could turn on them if provoked or called out on their behaviour if inappropriate. Or maybe they just don't like to be interviewed which is understandable.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I didnt go there. Neither did others. You did.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

I think Ringo was a big part of the Beatles' sound.He really plays exactly the right parts in the right way.
    The prove is the love that other, more technically advanced drummers have for him.They know he's a great drummer.
    Though there's nothing really wrong w McCartney's drumming when Ringo wasnt there, it wouldve been much better w Ringo.

The only thing i wish they hadnt done is giving Ringo the vocals of 'little help from my friends'..

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Yes! 2018 - Fall - Milwaukee. He asked all of us to make peace signs and we did. He stood again and ran around the stage and took the keyboard players iPhone and asked us to do it again please because it was so beautiful. Then he started taking pictures of the audience making peace signs. I believe that he loves people and he loves to entertain. He gives energy.

6. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Hardly absurd.
    The Beatles achieved their initial success because of the legions of young girls who were obsessed with them.
    Ringo was the most popular Beatle among those young girls.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

That may be true for their "initial success," but they moved way beyond the mop top boy band that thrilled the girls. The songs are what made them legendary.

8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Truly great interviewers are few and far between. My favorite currently is Marc Maron. You should check out his WTF podcast. It’s one of my go-to listens for long drives. I just re-listened yesterday to him interviewing David Crosby. The ones with Derek Trucks, Joe Walsh, Keith Richards, Don Was and Neil Young are also favorites.

9. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but I can't agree. Firstly Ringo was a top drummer in his own right before the Beatles and knew how a song hangs together better than anyone which is why he's a producer now. You can't honestly say that you change one quarter of the personnel in a band and expect the same outcome?
    So, by your logic, any competant guitarist would have done instead of George Harrison?

teleman1 likes this.
  10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

So good to see Ringo Starr happy, healthy and going strong at age 75 (and that was four years ago). I remember years ago being sad at seeing Ringo appearing drunk on talk shows. He's got it together and he inspires me. :)

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

No way. They would have been a good band, but they gelled and were a great band. Ringo’s style was conventionally ‘wrong’ but that made it so incredibly right in the context of a completely new style. As scottster says, he was 25% of the band. Even personalities have an affect on a band, team, squadron etc. Pete Best was, by all accounts I’ve read, a competent drummer. He was just not right, Mr Starkey obviously was.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Greggorios, Georox and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

No band is good with a bad drummer. I’ve played with bands with less than good drummers and, believe me, if the drummer isn’t in the groove, nor is the music. Believe you me, the drummer is the corner stone, the guitars, keyboards and vocals are all icing. The bass player is the link between the two, playing both with the drummer rhythmically and the rest melodically. Many years ago, the UK’s top music programme was Top Of The Pops. Fir a while, Musicians’ Union rules meant that all the performers had to re record their tracks with the Too Of The Pops orchestra fir use on screen. Tge guys in that orchestra were real pros. Reading from the exact score of the original hit. But, you know what, the end product sucked. Music produced if science, not art. Flat and devoid of fell, whilst technically perfect. Bands managers used to go all out with subterfuge, bribes or whatever it took to swap tge re-recorded tapes for originals. Sorry to digress but it really galls me to read the ‘drummer could be anyone who can hit things in time’ cliche.

Greggorios and Buzzgrowl like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I met one as well....except SHE was the one who said, "NAHHHHH!". :)

Greggorios likes this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have the experience that you and chet again have on this matter, so I'll take your word for it... :twisted:

Seriously, I do believe Ringo when he says he loves to entertain and that he needs to play.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I think I agree with what you're saying, Wrighty.....but I can't be sure, what with all the spelling errors. (being serious, can't follow some of your meanings) Proof-reading is your friend.....:)

16. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

The Beatles would have not been as prominent nor popular with any other drummer from England but Ringo. Ringo was the hottest drummer in Britain. Beatles were the hottest band. They were buds. Paul John and George decided they wanted the best drummer for their band. They call Epstein, he called Ringo. A blessed history. I just heard a compare of two identical recordings of the Beatles, one is Best and one is Ringo. It is so clear and obvious that Ringo was the fit. No other drummer could have possibly taken his place. And When a little help from my friends comes on. I like Cockers version, but Ringo is the man who sings it and it feels good and it feels better.

17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Of course they did, but if they hadn't had that massive initial success would everyone have paid as much attention to them? Also the huge initial sales to those young girls gave them the freedom to do whatever they wanted to later on.

18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting! Great interview but I say that because I'm biased. I watched The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show on that Sunday night in 1964. I was 14. Ringo's odd, to me, drumming style threw me for a loop. He became my favorite drummer then and he's still my favorite drummer.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It wasn't just the legion of young girls, there may have been more young boys affected by them than girls. They just wern't out front screaming. I was re-watching The History of the Eagles last night and Glen Frey said he watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show on the little B&W tv and the light bulb just came on. That's what he was going to do. Henley said pretty much the same thing. I was sixteen and played drums in the marching band in HS. Two weeks after the Ed Sullivan Show I was in Silvers Music Store in Aliquippa, PA with my father buying a set of drums. So many musicians have said the defining moment in their career choice to be a musician was watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. Like the interviewer said, kids had a greaser hairdo on Saturday and came to school on Monday a mop top. For anyone to have that almost overnight world-wide impact, well that's kinda "King of the Hill" material.

Greggorios and Georox like this.
  20. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Ringo is awesome. Ringo's drumming is awesome - just listen to Come Together or Day in Life. Lyrical, groove, context. Ringo is a class musician who plays drums. The Beatles without Ringo would not sound as good.

With a Little Help is awesome and carries a positivity that Cocker can't match in his constipated version. Cockers version should read "with a little help from my friends in spite of the fact that I've done just about everything to f**k my life up and your help is only good until my next booze/drug binge in a few days, so you're probably waisting your time with me." Depressing.

micpoc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.