1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beach Boys Good Vibrations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gypsy jim, Aug 29, 2020.

1. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

No offense, but Mike can't hold a peanut to Brian.

Brian was a boy genius.

Mike, was and still is a beach boy.

Without Brian he would be washing cars on Santa Monica Blvd.

Good Vibrations is the absolute pinnacle of what was once called Rock n Roll music.

Imo.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rhetorical question.

But if you were in the right place at the right time and got a chance to write lyrics for Brian Wilson songs, don't you think you could do that? I feel a number, quite a number of people could have.

Without Brian, Mike Love would be receiving a social security check, having sold used cars for a living for 30 years. He was supposed to be the businessman in the band, the straight man so to speak, but nevertheless he let the creative people in the band get mixed up with drugs. All he had to do was keep people from falling overboard, and he couldn't even do that.

3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

This is one of those cases where the art must be placed in context. I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing you weren't around and listening to the radio in 1966. I was just a kid, but even I could tell this was something we'd never heard before. That song was everywhere. It reinvented pop music. Fifty-plus years and countless imitations later, it's easy to forget what a pop culture earthquake Good Vibrations caused.

4. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

It was Paul Tanner, inventor of the electro theremin aka "Tannerin". It was made out of an old Heathkit audio generator hooked up to a Heathkit amp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tanner

That Cal Webway and tubegeek like this.
  5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol:

:lol::lol:

Sorry, don't see it--and there are PLENTY of songs that were released when I was a young child that I can go, "wow, that's a masterpiece!" Not Good Vibrations. I'll let y'all continue with the over the top adulation, it makes me chuckle.

beyer160 likes this.
  6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

No one's trying to change your mind. All art is subjective.

Still, look up just about any list of "the Most Important Songs in Rock & Roll" and you'll find Good Vibrations parked near the top. Disagree and chuckle about it all day long, but the song is still on those lists and in the history books.

That Cal Webway and Bassman8 like this.
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

When I went to LBCC they used to have all kinds of really great musicians come in. Tom Scott was one of them. We got to play all these charts of the music from Beretta (that was the one with a little grizzled detective and cockatiel or something right) and his different TV shows... He brought his big set up with more Moog stuff tha is in that picture

8. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

A friend of mine toured with The Beach Boys in the early '90s. Mike Love was not a nice person.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

This one's a blast, too-

61r0A2KC1aL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm not talking about the concept, I'm talking about the execution. Assembly editing on tape like this just wasn't done in 1966, and the equipment wasn't designed to do it. The Beatles studiously avoided jump cut tape edits like this because they sounded awful. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was released a mere four months after "Good Vibrations" and is an even more complex recording, but it doesn't sound like a disjointed mess because they approached the recording and mixing differently.

I'm not the head of the Mike Love fan club or anything, but he has one important qualification in discussing the Beach Boys' music that (as far as I know), no one in this discussion has.

He was in the band, and he was there when it went down.

I see it as analogous to the emperors' new clothes- everyone else in Brian's orbit was so besotted with his groundbreaking new single that it took Mike Love to point out that the transitions are jarring because the edits are so rough. I really don't think that crappy tape edits were part of Brian's brilliant master plan. If they'd taken the single version of "Good Vibrations" and instead used it as a demo to create a ground-up re-recording, it might have been genuinely impressive. Of course, they did reasonably well with the version they released anyway.

"Genius" is a bit strong for a guy who didn't even write the lyrics to his songs. Sure he developed beyond ripping off Chuck Berry, but he's no Ray Davies.

The day they came apart was the day Brian discovered the Wrecking Crew and realized he only needed the other guys to sing in the studio.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes!! Thank you.

11. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

This is me when Good Vibrations comes on:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    That Cal Webway and AAT65 like this.
  12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but I have to disagree with some of this.

1st, Miles Davis was a musical genius, and to my knowledge, didn't write a single word. (Bach, too.)

2nd, the Wrecking Crew were great. They did exactly what Brian asked them to do.

3rd, it was the Beach Boys harmony vocals that made them, along with Brian's gift for arranging those harmony vocals and writing/arranging the music.

(Btw, I'm a huge BB fan and have most of their albums and a lot of their solo stuff.)

Mike M, Bassman8, Rufus and 1 other person like this.
  13. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry that you dont see it.

14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apples/Oranges somewhat.
    Conversely- up to Pet Sounds, ML was important:
    his writing input gave them early commercial appeal/establishment.
    He and Brian co-wrote alot.

I've always liked their song Kokomo from the 90s, especially Carl Wilson's voice coming in at the chorus. Pure pop, trite lyrics, but who cares? I love the singing.

Mike Love was part of the committee that wrote that song.
    (Scott Mackenzie, John Phillips and Terry Melcher).

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  15. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I always thought that God Only Knows was the pinnacle of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys' artistic expression...and apparently Sir Paul thought so too.

But Good Vibrations was definitely a groundbreaking single, when considered in context.
    But that appearance on the Ed Sullivan show...Yeeecchhh! The show director should be shot for the silly mirror special effects he used.

Not a big fan of Mike Love or his ego...his "dancing" on some of their appearances was particularly amusing. But he did write lyrics to several of their classic earlier hits.
    Its just that Brian moved past the car songs while Love wanted to make the same album over and over...and collect the $$

Brian never could have realized his musical vision to tape without a group like the Wrecking Crew.

The Beatles had George Martin to help with certain technical and musical aspects. I'm not aware of anyone that Brian directly consulted...he basically did it all on his own-despite his misguided father Murry trying to interfere- (other than being "influenced" by Phil Spector and the vocal harmonies of the Four Freshmen.) He was making it up as he went along.

And I can't disagree with Love's criticism of much of Van Dyke Parks' lyrics for Smile..."sunny down snuff"????? wth IS that??

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like a lap steel to me. Isn't he using a slide? His hand looks like he's holding a steel guitar slide. Never seen a Theramin that you actually touch...?
    I built a Theramin too, kinda fun, but I think you have to spend big bucks to get good control and that big sound on the low notes..

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

When the unflattering stories of Mike Love surfaced, It didn’t shock me. To me he always gave off a crappy vibe of arrogance and conceit. He is barely a flea on an elephant’s rump compared to Brian.

dlew919 and boris bubbanov like this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not me :)

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I know for example, that Randy California had his uncle on the drum set, in Spirit and it seemed like it worked.

But Mike Love, though about the same age as his cousins, came across as some creepy guy from the wrong generation or something. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that thought the Wilson brothers and even Jardine, seemed like cool people but they avoided the band because Mike Love made it seem like a band where an accountant or other rich guy had purchased a spot on the bandstand in search of coolness that never was. Personally, I would assign very considerable weight to Mike Love's unsavory presence, as why the Beach Boys fell out of the charts so hard in the USA, while the band, for example, soldiered on better in the UK at least for a while. Yes I know, hard times eventually came to the Dave Clark Five and Paul Revere and the Raiders, the Monkees and the Association, etc., but I think with a more youthful, compelling front man, the Beach Boys could have cruised on IMO just about forever.
    Carl's presence on stage was so cool, but it just wasn't enough to counteract Mike Love who even seen charitably, is stodgy. And again this is not about chronological age as these Beach Boys refuseniks went to see Frank Sinatra and BB King instead.

20. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I prefer God Only Knows.

(Duck) :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.