1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Beach Boys Good Vibrations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gypsy jim, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I started out that way too. Try In My Room.

Rufus and Bassman8 like this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

He definitely wanted each section to sound different, but I'm fairly certain that the edits between sections where the tape sounds like it's being crumpled up and flushed down a toilet were simply technical limitations.

To clarify what Love was saying, it's not the song itself he had a problem with- it was the Frankenstein nature of the way the song was assembled with jump cuts that sound like they were spliced with a butcher knife and duct tape.

Brian was trying to accomplish something that was basically impossible in 1966 Los Angeles. The Beatles were able to make music that was sonically superior and even more complex due in large part to the fact that they were using the same studio and technical team for the entire project, with more advanced equipment. If the Beach Boys had been able to camp out at Capitol for months with the same engineer instead of dragging boxes of tape all over town and working with dozens of engineers who didn't know what anyone else had done, it would have helped immensely.

It's ALL subjective. I don't even remotely consider "Good Vibrations" to be one of the top singles ever recorded, or even the top 500 or 5000. It sounds like a poorly recorded jingle to me. Vive la différence, though.

3. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

It wouldn't surprise me that the attribution to Mike Love about the quality of the production had to do with his lawsuit to get songwriting credit for "Good Vibrations"--he was looking to emphasise his contribution to the song.

Mike came up with the "I'm picking up good vibrations" part. There is an early version where Brian is singing and Mike's part isn't there. I think it's a key part of the song and while Brian is the sine qua non of the group, Mike put it over the top. His low harmony on "Our Prayer" alone shows his ability as it's the hardest vocal on that song.

Jimmy Page also famously used a Theremin.

4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

There's a fun book, The Heart of Rock & Soul, by critic Dave Marsh, which gives his list of the 1001 best singles, it's a great book if you love that sort of listmaking activity.

https://www.lexjansen.com/marsh/

Mike M likes this.
  5. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Lothar and the Hand People used the theremin live all the time. It's pretty easy to use. As for the Beach Boys, songs like "Caroline No" are pretty phenomenal. Sure, there's a lot of crap in their output, but some really wonderful music. It's hard to figure anything significant the Mike Love added, and for decades he's largely come across as an egotistical, mercenary dick -- really, probably the very least and least creative of any of them.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Mike love could rise to the occasion when necessary. He wrote the lyrics to good vibrations. Do it again and fun fun fun are his lyrics too.

nonetheless he is a divisive figure l shall we say.

joealso likes this.
  7. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

all i know is that i love the beach boys and i love white tele's with a bigsby. i can actually hear the tele on the track now.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All kidding aside, never realized there were lots of people who felt this was one of the ultimate pop songs ever. It's so far down the list for me... if it comes on the radio, streaming etc, I just change the channel. I don't even think of it as a good song, let alone an epic one.

if it was an engineering/production feat that had not been seen before, I can respect that. But in the end, it's all about whether one likes the sound of a song, regardless of what went into it. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Not being argumentative, just surprised to see all the glowing comments.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I hate theramin, cheesy and cliche every time I hear it. For me the good vibrations on Good Vibrations come from the cello part. I like the song and many other Beach Boys tunes, but I don't consider myself a fan as such

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the hairy Beach Boys ‘65-‘75-ish.

I didn’t get it for the longest time - now I do.

MonkeyJefferson and StrangerNY like this.
  11. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

this film really stayed with me since i saw it years ago. the full film on youtube pretty cool, sit back relax and watch it people!

Engine Swap likes this.
  12. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The production/final version of the song was conscious and deliberate.
    BW has always said he wanted to do a... "pocket symphony."

MonkeyJefferson and StrangerNY like this.
  13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd trust Brian's judgment way before I'd trust Mike Love's. From all I've heard, the dude's an a-hole. Just sayin

- D

Mike M, MonkeyJefferson and joealso like this.
  14. That Cal Webway

Remember Michael O'Donoghue,
    "Mister Mike" from Saturday Night live etc??

He and his wife would hold theremin soirees in their brownstone apartment.

Carl Wilson: voice of an angel

15. StrangerNY

And that massive reverb on the vocal chord before the last chorus! I love that fade before the chorus hits.

- D

16. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I don't like to be negative but after watching Mike Love's rant at their Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction, I really don't care what he thinks. Maybe a little meditation would do him good.

17. That Cal Webway

ML is ez to dislike. Doesn't bother me.
    He's intergal to The Beach Boys sound.

He, 20-30 years ago at the Rock and roll Hall of Fame ceremonies making a fool out of himself criticizing Mick Jagger?? Ha. Nutty.

He contributed alot to pre Pet Sounds Beach Boys. He was a good commercial muse to counter or align with Brian's very artistic muse.

his dislike and suspicion of Van Dyke Parks' contributions definitely diminished through the years.

Although I don't think he ever got over those Van Dyke Park lyrics of crows flying over cornfields!!
    :)

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. StrangerNY

All true. That original five was a machine, with each one performing a vital function. But like every other band working in that rarified atmosphere, sooner or later they all came apart.

- D

That Cal Webway likes this.
  19. That Cal Webway

Yep.
    And drugs and such with all three brothers, even Carl got involved, especially flirting with heroin in the late 70's.

Brian since the late 60s and ihs schizophrenic break...
    The tragedy, but wonderful he's still alive and contributing.

StrangerNY likes this.
  20. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Exactly my sentiments. In the opposite. It's a great big world, and I bet you have as many hours on the stick of your plane as I do mine. We just differ in this view completely. No one is right!

Colo Springs E likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.