1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Be honest - You bring a wireless to gigs to check the mix...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 28, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

... from where the audience will be, because you don't trust the sound guy to not wreck your tone. Okay, maybe you don't do this, but I certainly do. I don't need a wireless on stage, and I prefer not to have it. But I also prefer not to have a sound guy make me sound like a kazoo. Am I being unreasonable? I think not! :twisted:

Wayne Alexander and superjam144 like this.
  2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a wireless at practice and gigs......love it! I can go dance with the ladies!

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I use one sound check with acoustic act. Last time we played out. :( I would never use for electric stuff.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

I have actually on occasion used my wireless only to hear the mix before we played, then I used a cable for the gig.

5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

My former bass player used one and was forever running out of battery power....too darn cheap to buy GOOD batteries and too stubborn to gig with a cord. As I said, he's my former bass player.

SRHmusic and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Definitely to check the mix. Cable for performing however.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

the places i play are so small that the stuff on stage is practically doing as much work as the house. so it never really sucks that bad and i'm not too picky about it. and if it does, my bandmates and i always leave our stuff with enough headroom to tell a sound guy to piss off.

OTOH when i play electronic music, at sound checks i always leave something running and go walk out into the room. if you don't tune the sub 100hz stuff for the PA, things can basically be undanceable...which sort of defeats the whole purpose.

gregulator450 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

I put new alkaline batteries in the transmitter before each time I play. They tend not to last very long otherwise.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

We tried that for a while, and it works ok to walk around in small places. But it's not great when every band member is not on board /understanding the various issues with what the audience hears.
    (Also our keyboard player has a habit of turning up during his solos and not turning back down, ...)

I've been using one of these... works great, and the rechargable battery still last over 6 hours (two gigs), after a year or more. I wish it had a 1/4 inch input though if I wanted to switch back to wired and use the tuner.

We've been playing only outdoors this year and have an experienced friend running sound now. There's no way way we could run out to check for ourselves at some of these outdoor stage situations.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hardly ever go Wireless.
    I simply don't need it.

I will make an exception for Sound Guys who go Mobile with their iPads.
    When they come up onstage and stand next to me while we dial in my Monitors, that's pretty cool.

Deeve and kuvash like this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play stadiums, i can get down from the stage and check the sound with a 3 meters cable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.