Be honest: How many of you play your guitar in front of a mirror?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jun 22, 2019.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I use a mirror to shave, to shave my head, and that's it.

When I was a callow, shallow teen, I once tried looking at myself in a full mirror when playing and realised I looked :

a) Fugly
    b) Dorky
    c) Awkward

Nowadays, I resemble a flesh coloured Shrek. Arthritis has limited me to amp adjustments and pedal stomping in terms of stage movements. Were I to own a full length mirror, the results would be :

a) Fat
    b) Fugly
    c) Dorky
    d) Awkward
    e) Stiff

Mirrors are for the vain. Us uggers have no need other than ensuring we aren't tufty or bleeding post shave. I am the anti-narcissus.

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Ehhhh , No !
    LOL.....

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Nope, never. I hate looking at videos of myself too. If I ever wanted to "make it" I probably should and work on my stage presence, etc.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

only naked when there's a full moon. Otherwise it would be silly.

bromdenlong, MatsEriksson and BobbyZ like this.
  5. Deebs3

Deebs3 Tele-Meister

I have never thought it do that, now that I have wireless cable i'm gonna try it tomorrow .

6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Now YES

In our rehearsal studio there is a big mirror and there's no way you cannot look at yourself when doing funny things with the guitar

AND there si something I always say to friends, other bands or people that say "you all move a lot at the stage, you dance, jump, run, roar..." Is simple: How many times did you play an old tennis raquet in front of a mirror when you were a child dreaming on being a rock star? NOW I am with a guitar playing rock'n'roll in a band there up at the stage. NOW is the moment of doing that.

Still not a rockstar, but I pretend to be when in the stage :lol:

7. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For those like myself who have battled with nervous tension, practising in front of a mirror is helpful for spotting the symptoms. Such as tensed fists, poor wrist angle, raised shoulders even stiff necks. I need every tool i can use to help me play better.

I haven't completely beaten it but I am certainly more relaxed on stage that I used to be and it makes a huge difference to my playing.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

One thing I don't like about the booths in Andertons is the mirror. I find it distracting seeing myself in the mirror (I know they probably do it to make the room seem bigger too). I hate seeing photos of me from gigs as there is always some old bloke playing my guitar instead of me...

Mike SS likes this.
  9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I remember reading somewhere many years ago that it was a good thing to do as it helps you get out of the habit at staring down at your hands all the time.

10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

This is the room I keep my gear in, it was the gym originally so there was an entire wall of mirrors form the original builder. I removed one and installed it upstairs for my wife (was behind the bench) but there are 3 more still installed. I can't NOT play in front of a mirror.

[​IMG]

Mike SS and Kriticaster like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've done this because I discovered that I look like a dork in videos, and the mirror helps me work on ways to correct this.

But I look like a dork when doing this and hope nobody catches me.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Been playing since the late '70s and I don't recall ever playing in front of mirror.
    Maybe I should have, because I don't recall playing in front of thousands of screaming fans either. . . . . . .

Ricky D. likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

All the time, I admire the guy in the mirror...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I did when I was younger. I had read it’s good for form and some sort of secondary visual reinforcement crap. But really only ever looked at my left hand. Nowadays I wander around the house a lot with a guitar strapped on and my wife has mirrors everywhere so it’s inevitable. But I don’t seem to notice myself much.

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Ricky D., LGOberean, Mike SS and 4 others like this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Only when I get a new strap, to check that the guitar doesn't hang in a silly place.

3-Chord-Genius and Greggorios like this.
  17. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Yes, I did so early on on recommendations of my guitar teacher. Believe it or not I recommend still to very young people starting out if I see gnarls, to even record (film) themselves on mobile phones or in front of mirrors JUST because totally opposite reasons:

1. When you can take a 90 degree angle view of you fingers if you do undeliberately bending the strings within a chord, when fretting it. One detects these flaws more easily in the mirror.

2. To detect that I make faces or "bite" or chew with the tounge when playing - or trying - to play tricky parts, or doing other things like shoulder raise, or tensioning other body part. Feet for example.

Not ever, and never because it looks cool. I started out once my teacher pointed out to me that ON CLASSICAL GUITAR I tended to fret the chords sharp and that was because they went up in pitch. I watched myself in mirrors (this was a millenium before cell phones) and to my horror I thought "Oh dear, I really struggle for no reason" . Once I LOOKED and tred to hone and woodshed that thing down I started to hear that the chord doesn't sound out of tune. It always did earlier. After 1 or 2 years my teacher said "ok, now you got that down at least...". It was a once you learn it you don't go back thing, like learning how to ride a bicycle.

The faces and movement tics with the mouth, forming sounds with the mouth (wah wah pedal) or grim looks or tics or showing teeth or "chewing without a chewing gum" EMBOUCHURES. Or like, someone is wheezing, ozing or sounding off, ventilating when the playing gets intense. I got rid of that ONLY by looking into the mirror.

Did I still continued that after those quirks and idiosyncrasises (bad habits) went away? No way Jose, never thought about it a second time. Didn't get back those bad habits anyway. Cool? No..not ever.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Same here. I recently got a new strap, and it meant the guitar hung a bit higher than my other strap. I actually found it to be more comfortable, so I checked how high it was in a mirror. It looked fine, so I adjusted the straps on my other guitars. I now find that my playing has gotten more comfortable, and a little better.

The guitar isn't as high as Lenny Davidson's, though. That guy should have used a mirror.

[​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
  19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I have found seeing myself on video to be useful. I was doing some things that I've now stopped. Very educational.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

I am a vampire anyway so no reflections in any mirror..

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.