1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BBE Sonic Stomp?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hymiepab, Aug 26, 2015.

1. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I play mostly country rock and am intrigued by the Sonic Stomp.
    I'm looking for something to add a little punch and presence and boost to my clean leads and was curious whether it might be helpful.
    I generally play a Roadworn Tele with Lawrence Keystones through a Silverface Princeton….
    Any opinions?

2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I was impressed with it at first. Seemed to add a subtle clarity or presence, a tone sweetener of sorts, but after the honeymoon phase wore off, I decided it wasn't all that and sold it.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ditto. Very ear-fatiguing over time, I found.

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Adding a little punch and presence: that it should be able to do. My partner in an acoustic-electric duo uses the Sonic Stomp that way. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what it's doing. I don't know if it's capable of functioning as a boost per se, or if so, how many dbs above unity gain it will go. My duo partner uses the BBE as a tone shaper, but also has MXR Micro Amp + on his board that he engages for an actual boosted signal. So I think one question I'd be asking if I were you is whether you'd be better served by a full range booster. Maybe not, I really don't know.

Boosters range from 'one knobbers' that simply boost signal with no additional control (such as BBE's Boosta Grande, which gets high marks around here) - to more sophisticated units that have more control over parameters, including EQ; if you need more control, a couple to consider are TC Electronic Spark and Xotic RC Booster, each of which has controls for pre- & post- gains, bass, and treble.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

This

6. Bluesbrother777

Bluesbrother777 TDPRI Member

As my bandmate eloquently put it, it's pretty good but it messes with that Fender sound. I sold mine...

7. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Thanks!
    It seems there's largely mixed opinions on this pedal….

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Get an EQ or boost pedal. Forget the Sonic Stomp because it's not going to do what you want it to do. It's not a boost pedal.

9. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Ear fatiguing indeed...strained my ears trying to convince myself that it was actually doing something. I decided it was just too subtle to justify actually spending money on it...sort of like buying a box of air.

10. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Does it work the same as the Sonic Maximizer? I had one of those in my old rack setup. It added a bit of clarity and gave my delayed and modulated mess a more "HiFi" sound. Only about 50% of my signal went through the effects loop, so I didn't get the fatiguing that others spoke of. I assume there's not mix knob on it? If you want punch and presence, perhaps a compressor?

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much same here. It also became very 'processed' and 'digital' sounding after it wore off, especially when I tried in the the FX loop of my amp. I've tried the rack mount Sonic Stomp, and the stompbox one, both had the same issues, for me.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

MXR Micro Amp.

[​IMG]

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

A good compressor set, with the compression low, and output to a 'boost' setting will do this, IMO. Also a good way to add some sustain to your clean leads...

This is assuming you down already own/use a compressor.

14. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Right. It's NOT a boost pedal. It's a sonic enhancement pedal. (BTW, it also comes in rackmount for stereo purposes) It re-aligns the frequencies so they reach you ear at the same time... bass frequencies travel faster than the others. This is how it cleans up the overall sound.

I've been using one for over 10 years... wouldn't think of playing a gig without it. It really CLEANS UP my acoustic and electric guitars. It adds sparkle to the highs, and clears up the low mid mud, to my ears. Its in my pedalboard and on ALL of the time.

I play on clean settings 95% of the time... If you're using any serious distortion, it may not be as effective.

I highly recommend it if you're looking to CLEAN UP YOUR SOUND.

(IM NOT AFFILIATED WITH BBE)

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I have one in my BBE Acoustimax. It's a device where the axiom "a little dab will do ya" applies. I prefer an aural exciter used on the mix bus when recording, not so much in a live setting.

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My understanding is that, in general, different frequencies of the signal actuate the loudspeaker in different places (circles). For some reason, this process results in different frequencies being out of phase, as a result of delays. The BBE Sonic Stomp/Maximizer delays higher frequencies so that they remain in phase. We don't hear the delays as delays, as they aren't very long.

I used one at home with my Tele with Don Mares' and a DRRI, and it was magical. It truly did sound like a blanket being removed. After I bought an Epi Dot with '57s and some D-type amps, I couldn't discern much of an effect.

17. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

My aforementioned duo mate uses it only with clean tones. For a couple of acoustic-electric guitars, a resonator guitar, and an autoharp. It focuses those instruments quite nicely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.