1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BBD delay builds, anyone built one, any recommendations

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by trancedental, Nov 9, 2018.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

not really sure he wanted to encourage less experienced builders to take that project on... it is rated as a ultra difficult build, but yeah, I suppose that'd be nice for folks getting that far.

ahiddentableau and trancedental like this.
  2. Aspiringluthier

Aspiringluthier TDPRI Member

Can I get a picture of dat pusses so I can understand the function of it better? As of now we got one or two guys that actually get it and a lot of guys pretending they get pusses when they probably imagine it to be like a sink or a toilet shaped contraption. While I used to get it, in my age my memory of its function and worth got replaced and occupied by my own projects, but then again that describes the reason I forget a few things. To date I've yet to meet a true analog delay pedal I did not love.

While I forgot what we were talking about long ago, I want you to know it's important to me that you think of me as 30 year old prodigy and insanely talented guitarist. If I was stupid, would I build a slide guitar on top of my toilet so when I sit on it backwards I can rock out or I can impress audiences on a facebook live stream?

3. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="ahiddentableau,
    Question though: was there an old version of the Dirtbaby that used v3205s? I seem to remember an earlier version of Madbean's Aquaboy that used one of the BL chips (I think it was the 3208), but only remember the Dirtbaby being PT2399 based.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it was called the Dirtbag Deluxe, the MMD type build with v3205's. There was some debate on the Madbean forum, a few years back with some builders saying they didn't sound too good on high feedback / time settings. Madbean brought out some mods to correct those issues. The Dirtbaby was available during the same period.

Attached Files:

ahiddentableau likes this.
  4. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

That's probably right. That and he probably had more important things to do than walk people through how to use a scope. But I still think it was a lost opportunity. Because while it may be intended as a high level pedal project, it would be a perfect beginner-level intro to using a scope for pedal setups.

trancedental and mistermikev like this.
  5. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I'm sure it was called the Dirtbag Deluxe, the MMD type build with v3205's. There was some debate on the Madbean forum, a few years back with some builders saying they didn't sound too good on high feedback / time settings. Madbean brought out some mods to correct those issues. The Dirtbaby was available during the same period.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the docs, T. I totally missed that project. In spite of the troubles, I can't help but think it's a bit of a shame it's gone--there's nothing for the inexpensive chips now. Although from a business perspective I can understand that Brian wouldn't want to keep selling something that was causing a lot of problems for people.

trancedental likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems to me the prices of many great used ADs is coming down due to the shift to DD models of AD getting better and more popular.

If I was building AD pedals I'd want them to do stuff I could get from a used pedal.

Two ADs in one box would be nice.

Multi taps are also great but only found in a very few AD pedals.
    Carl Martin Delayla, Maxon AD9 Pro and AD999 Pro have multi tap function.

I'd love an AD900 with multi tap.

I'd also be interested in a 12v or 18v AD pedal for the added headroom when using lots of dirt boost into them.

trancedental likes this.
  7. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

8. trancedental

Luckily I had had most of the parts already, apart from pots, compander & clock IC's, a few resistors & caps now ordered. Now just need some MN3005's, a case & some power when it's finished. £42.32 spent so far...............!:D

P2230001.JPG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    zippofan and awasson like this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I have yet to build a delay, I have a couple store-bought ones including the Wample Faux Tape delay, Garage Tone (Visual Sound) Delay, and a couple cheap Dano Fab's, Echo and 600ms Delay. I've been having too much fun exploring all the different dirt circuits, OD/Distortion/Fuzz and boost so far, with one compressor as the outlier. I have a Zeppelin Quaverato in the queue too.

Two that interest me are the 1776 Multiplex Delay for the PT2999 type, and the the Aquaboy for a real analog BBD delay. Our lead guitarist back in the 80s had an Aria analog delay and I always thought it sounded great, His brother/rhythm guitarist has an AquaPuss, so I want to give it a go this next year. My scope is pretty old as I built it 30 years ago but it still works, and I asked Mrs Z for one of those little hand held kit jobs from Santa so that's not an issue.

The main thing is cost, those Xvive chips ain't cheap, but better than original MN3005s!

trancedental and awasson like this.
  10. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’d sure like a pair of those bucket brigade chips (3101/3007). I’m itching to build a CE-2 Chorus Clone and I don’t know if the circuit can be modded to work with the Xvive chips and still retain the original vibe of the unit. The absolute best chorus I’ve ever used is the one built into my little Fender SS Princeton Chorus. It has a nice spring reverb and a really nice chorus.

zippofan likes this.
  11. trancedental

I've built the 1776 Multiplex c/w the modulation board a while back, got it working fine after replacing the first 2 PT2399's I bought which were motorboating & not in a good way!

The modulation board I fitted afterwards with a 3way switch delay1/off/delay2 to choose either delay chip or no modulation. I also fitted the "tape ramp" footswitch which changes the echo pitch up & down, sounds very psych!

It's great for those old school tape style delays, it's got 3 modes, Binson, Spacecho & Echoplex. Plenty of sounds plus the modulation board with even more.

Actually it's not an expensive or hard build, especially if you do the basic version. There's a Multiplex Jr project which is a Echoplex mode with modulation all on one PCB which might be an easier build if you want modulation without messing about adding another PCB?

I slightly prefer the Binson / Spacecho modes on my Multiplex, but the Echoplex still sounds good.

A good sounding analog delay without modulation controls is the Maxon AD-900, it has dual MN5005's so goes up to 500-600ms.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    zippofan likes this.
  12. trancedental

I'm looking to eventually do a Electric Mistress because I prefer chorus style flange instead of wooshing jet sounds & also the Boss Dimension DC-2 which is the best sounding chorus type effect I've played, but I never owned one!

I did have the DC-3 for a while but that was not as nice, I found out afterwards it was a digital circuit instead of BBD!

Aion & Madbean have the PCB's for those builds, the DC-2 runs on MN3207, the EM on MN3007.

The Madbean CE-2 runs on both the above plus the BL3207 & coolaudio v3207, I do like the original CE-2's but the CE-1's & the Jazz Chorus amp's are my favourites. Plus the DC-2.

The Aion Electronics DC-2 has 100 resistors, 65 caps, 25 IC/transistors, & the rest! I think that build can wait for a long while!

awasson likes this.
  13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Aquaboy board on the way :)

Off to Small Bear and Mouser!

trancedental likes this.
  14. trancedental

I managed to squeeze the PCB in, just about got all the pots & holes drilled & soldered. It's like a ship in a bottle in there. Just got to drill for the jack sockets & power connector now. Wire it all up & then take it all out & test it.

£14.55 for EHX 24VDC power adaptor
    £32 for M3005's
    £10.50 for Hammond 1590BBS (42mm deep)
    Almost £100....ouch!

P3250005.JPG

awasson and zippofan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.