BBD delay builds, anyone built one, any recommendations

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by trancedental, Nov 9, 2018.

1. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

After building a 1776 Multiplex Echo c/w the modulation pcb, which I really like for that old school classic pseudo tape style delay (even though it uses a PT2399 chip), I was wondering what other delays / echo diy projects forum members on the tdpri have built.

I started playing in bands just after the digital delays had just become popular, tape delays & even the earlier generation of BBD (Bucket Brigade Delays) were suddenly out of fashion, so I never got the chance to really try those out.

I've always wanted to play a Memory Man Deluxe, but that that was expensive back in the day & still is. Madbean pedals have a diy MMD project & also a Boss DM-2 BBD delay.

There are a few other BBD diy PCB's available but most diy projects are PT2399 based. Madbean even have a PT2399 version of the Memory Man deluxe which is a lot cheaper to build. The Maxon AD-900 sounds like another classic BBD delay to check out but I've never heard one in real life.

I've even got the Lexicon PCM 81 & PCM MXP1 digital rack multi effects but would still like to build a BBD delay, I've probably got half the components needed already!

Anyway tell us about the delay / echo diy builds that you have made.

2. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I made two way huge aqua pusses in a single enclosure that sounds pretty great every time I switch it on.

trancedental likes this.
  3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

the dirtbaby is a pretty great delay and a great way to approach the dmm in a budget friendly manner. ultimately, budget is going to be the big factor here when delay chips are 20-25 bucks ... the madbean aquaboy is a single chip, the dmm is two

trancedental likes this.
  4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

I forgot to mention that I added the double delay mini board to each Aqua. So that's two mn3005s per Aqua puss. I don't know if madbean still sells these. But yes it's the aqua boy

telemnemonics and trancedental like this.
  5. trancedental

Maybe build it using the cheaper v3205 BBD chips, I could always swap them out later on & upgrade the voltage & power supply needed for the MN3005's.

Just come across OP Electronics MMD clone, PCB or kit
    works on v3205 or mn3205 / mn3005's, normal 9v power supply.

http://www.op-electronics.com/en/delay-reverb-and-chorus/478-deluxe-delay.html

Works out around a £50.00 less expensive build, cheaper chips & no 24VDC power adaptor needed.

I know the cool audio v3205 are supposed to not sound that great LOL!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  6. luckett

luckett Banned

It sounds like you've fallen for the internet mystique of the MN3005. Drop the coin on the MN3005s. If you don't get the MN3005s, you'll keep asking yourself if the MN3005s will sound better and eventually end up buying them anyway.

7. trancedental

:D Not £50 better, that can pay instead for another pedal project, I've got 5 pcb's wating..................! :eek:

8. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

well you'd be wrong. I suggest you do the reading on the v3205 and how not good they are. didn't electrosmash do an article on this?

trancedental likes this.
  9. luckett

luckett Banned

£50 is a small price to pay for the magical sound of unicorns jumping over a rainbow. If the audience ever discovers that you're not using MN3005s, the venue will clear out very quickly. And you can forget about booking any studio time if they discover that you're going to taint their mixing board with your lowly 3205 chips. Before long, there will be rampant rumors spreading about you being "that guy" that uses the dirty PT2399 chips. Your mom won't be able to go to church without everyone giving her the stinkeye amid whispers that you were caught fondling a Behringer digital delay. If you love your mother, you would spend the £50 on the MN3005 chips.

trancedental likes this.
  10. trancedental

Maybe I shouldn't be reading the Madbean forum so much, I only went on there to check out the 1776 Multiplex builds! :eek:

That's what happens when you started off playing with digital delays like the Maxon DM-500 & Boss RDD-10 back in the day. :(

Meanwhile I've just spotted coolaudio v3205's on Ebay for £2.29, they're probably fakes LOL! :twisted:

11. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I built a madbean total recall not too long ago. It works well and sounds good but it's a pain in the butt to set up correctly. If you are happy with the shorter delay times then the Aquaboy would be my recommendation. Easier build.

mistermikev and trancedental like this.
  12. trancedental

My Echo Park & Verbzilla just sold on Ebay, was going to sell them a while back when I bought a Lexicon PCM81, never got around to it, maybe I've got delay hoarders syndrome!

So much for the OP Memory Man Deluxe clone, they're charging EUR14.50 shipping for a PCB.

Aquaboy based on the Boss DM-2, not sure as I wasn't impressed with my friends DM-2 model back in the day & instead got the Maxon DM-500 which also had flanging & chorus with modulation on the delays, even though it was digital. Boss rack series RDD-10 was similar to the Maxon, with longer delay & better treble frequencies. A friend still uses / abuses that same one I sold him.

I've still got 7 delays / multi FX's, I guess I am a delay / echo junkie!

Just ordered the Madbean Total recall PCB, pricing works out much cheaper than OP plus after checking my parts stash it seems I've got most of the components.

Cabintech have the Xvive 3005 chips for £31, that's cheap enough & I can use my bench power supply for testing before buying a 24VDC adaptor!

Imagine doing a gig with this............!

powerbox.PNG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    zippofan likes this.
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Try your hand at the Grind Customs FX Deprofundis Delay: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/grind-customs-fx-deprofundis-delay.html

I was planning to build a Delay and I built the his particular one simply because I had the right size protoboard on hand. It was a really fortunate choice. It’s the best delay I’ve had. Way better than the Ibanez Delay I had back in the late 80’s, early 90’s. There is a duaghterboard for modulation. I didn’t build that. I’ve just built the main 4 knob Delay.

I’d also like to build the Earthquakes Disaster Transport Jr. it looks like a really useful one: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2017/12/earthquaker-disaster-transport-jr.html

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    trancedental likes this.
  14. ahiddentableau

I built the Disaster Transport Jr. a few months back and I don't really care for it. More to the point for this conversation: it doesn't sound anything like an analog delay. It mostly just sounds muddy. It works well for that one kind of old school tape delay sound--the one where the repeats create a wall of deep, indistinct pedal tone behind the dry signal--but that's it. For all of its rough-around-the-edges character, a good analog delay is actually substantially cleaner than that. As it should be. Not to rip on EQD--they're a great builder and make a lot of really awesome stuff! I just don't like that particular design.

trancedental likes this.
  15. trancedental

Actually given the popularity of DIY PT2399 delays I'm surprised that there are not more v3205 DIY delay / echo projects available for self builds, the Madbean Dirtbaby seems to be discontinued. Seems there was a few issues with v3205 Dirtbaby builds a while back.

I'll have to look into what diyer's are using for chorus, flanger & other modulation projects, as I'm assuming they can't be relying on using old stock bucket brigade devices as some of the BBD chips have been reissued / updated?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I to built the total recall... it is a really great sounding delay.

It's become a fav. This is not a build for the faint of heart because if you have to end up tracing the audio path... you really have to wrap your head around a lot. as mentioned it is also not exactly easy to dial in.

I played mine next to a real mem man and w/o a scope it was just a hair less clean... but sounds better than some other factory bbd delays I have so... sold the original.
    I have built the multiplex too. TBH I was not blown away by the multiplex... guess I just was expecting too much from a pt2399. I did the mod board and a bunch of mods and after all that, I'm just not crazy about it beyond how much I liked any other pt2399 build. That said it is a well designed build.

ahiddentableau and trancedental like this.
  17. trancedental

Mistermikev, the 1776 Multiplex is the last (and first) delay pedal I built, modulation version, I really like it, sounds very retro, the only issues I had was swamping out some PT2399's when first powered up, the replacements sounded great afterwards in that build.

I've just ordered the Madbean Total Recall, if it sounds as good as the Multiplex , I'll be very happy, I've always wanted a Memory Man Deluxe from back in the day!

As I mentioned earlier I started playing / gigging when the digital delays became popular, I've had a few favourites mentioned earlier in the thread, but always with the modulation on board.

I've had a few various hard builds in the past so I'm aware there could be problems with the Total Recall, so preparation is the key LOL!

ahiddentableau likes this.
  18. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Good to know. I was actually going to build the Disaster Transport Jr first but didn't have the right size scrap of board so I did the Grind Customs FX Deprofundis Delay.

The Deprofundis Delay is a total winner for me. It actually sounds good. It's clean and the controls are effective for a lot of different delay uses. You can crank it up for crazy over the top effects but usually I just use it to add ambience. I've got the Mix at about 9 o'clock (25%), Frequency at about 1 o'clock, Repeats at 12 o'clock and the Tone at 1 o'clock.

I've got about 2 dozen PT2399's so I'll still build a Disaster Transport Jr, just for fun.

I've done a couple of other projects with the PT2399 chips and for me they seem to shine in delays and sound too artificial for anything else. I build a Madbean Glam Chorus and I'm not a fan. I'll have to try it in an amp with an effects loop. Maybe it would be better in a loop. It really doesn't work well at the front of an amp at all. It sounds like a Chorus being too obvious and it has an echo side effect. It's pretty disapointing if you've experienced a really good chorus.

trancedental and ahiddentableau like this.
  19. ahiddentableau

I agree with you 100 percent. It is a bit surprising that so few builders have taken up using those chips in delays. CoolAudio makes a lot of them these days and the prices are very attractive. I've only used them in a couple of builds myself but the quality has been good in my experience.

Question though: was there an old version of the Dirtbaby that used v3205s? I seem to remember an earlier version of Madbean's Aquaboy that used one of the BL chips (I think it was the 3208), but only remember the Dirtbaby being PT2399 based.

20. ahiddentableau

I wish madbean had done up some proper documentation to walk builders through the setup of the Total Recall using a scope. If I remember correctly the docs nudge you in the direction of a really old set of docs that apply to an older version of the DMM. That's obviously better than nothing, but they're not great directions. His docs give a fair bit of info for setup by ear, but I don't think that really cuts it on the TR. It really is finicky to bias correctly--and that is (or at least ought to be) a major consideration for less experienced builders.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.