BB45 tone at home

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Grizz2k, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

I play a Fender Bassbreaker 45 combo with a large pedalboard live and I've really grown accustomed to it. I'm looking for a practice amp with comparable tone that can play at apartment levels.
    Naturally I first considered the BB007 but it's my understanding - and I haven't had the opportunity to try one out - that the circuitry and tone is worlds different from the 45. I also considered an attenuator but the amp stays at our practice space when we're not playing shows; in any case, the real estate is a bit much for our little apartment.

Hoping to find an amp whose tone is similar enough that I can tweak my pedalboard at home and keep the same settings onstage. Tell me what you know.

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I thought you could just turn the output knob down?

That's a built in attenuator isn't it? Try turning it down to 1W and go to town?

It always struck me as ridiculous that Fender only stuck the built in attenuator on the 45 and didn't throw it in the smaller versions as well.

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I can't imagine a scenario where you go from a gig environment to practicing at home, and the settings don't change. What I do is take phone photos of any settings I like. Make a note of where the tweaking takes place, at home or at a gig.

I'd take your pedalboard out right now, and take a picture. With luck, these are stage settings. I'll hazard a guess that the level or volume settings are above what you may use at home, and any tone settings will "off" as well. Whether too bright, or too dark will depend on how loud you get to play at home.

My issue was the stage we regularly gigged on was very dead, with lots of carpeting. So the gig toans were quite bright, and I needed to dial back the trebles considerably for the hardwood floors and bare walls of home sweet home.

After spending some time tweaking and checking the photos, I found I could make better educated guesses at what settings worked.

Stubee likes this.
  4. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My suggestion is a load box and an IR cab.

6. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

Certainly could but with a carseat and baby toys taking up a lot of the back seat, living in a small apartment, and not living near our practice space moving it back and forth isn't very convenient. I'd much rather have a smaller amp I could move around. @LightningPhil @bgmacaw

To clarify what I'm looking for, I want to be able to tweak and experiment at home and replicate the experience at practice without having to fiddle with dials while everyone else waits. The home-tone doesn't need to be identical but I wouldn't want to play through, say, a solid-state Orange at home and use the same settings in my BB.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This is what I use most of the time. It's small, very portable for business trips and sounds good.

20200122_041241.jpg

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

You may need to fiddle with settings but given the BB45 has a built in attenuator you should just be able to turn the power down on the amp, maybe tweak some pedals, and you should get a really similar sound that is very workable for practice.

I do this with my Orange amp that has a built in attenuator. The biggest gotcha is any pedal that's actually an amplifier (drive, boost, fuzz, pre-amp) can bring your volume level back up above where you want. So you may need to be judicious with where you set the volume knobs on the pedals.

I don't quite understand how the BB45 works.. if it's multiple channels. If you want to use the pedals without too much extra volume while practicing you'll have better luck on a channel without a lot of headroom. If the channel has a lot of headroom the pedal has a lot more potential to raise the volume in the room to the point you get complaints. For me that means don't use a drive pedal as a boost on the clean channel without being careful. On the dirt channel that same pedal set up the same way doesn't make the amp much louder, just dirtier.

It's hard for me to believe there's a solution that stays closer to your stage sound at lower volume than using what you already have with the built in attenuator. The only real gotcha with these attenuators AFAICT is they sometimes reduce the perceived headroom in the amp as you lower the power, and they have a minimum power level below which they start to not sound as inspiring. But they still sound closer to the loud sound of *that amp* than anything else.

9. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

Starting to feel like you're screwing with me.
    The Bassbreaker's volume isn't the problem - the size is. I'm trying to get a similar tone at home without spending another $1000 on another BB45 just to turn it down to apartment levels. The attenuator works fine - but that doesn't make it weigh less or take less room in my back seat. It's great for the practice space and perfectly manageable for moving to gigs but it's not realistic to move to and from my apartment which is in a different state and a decent walk from the parking lot.
    I'm leaning towards the Monoprice 15w. It's not a perfect reflection but it looks like it can do what I need it to.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Sorry I missed the detail this was about avoiding moving the amp. Can't help you there. You're 23!

Just get anything and skip the pedal board and don't worry about it if it's all about saving size & effort. Get a THR or something.

11. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

You missed the question the thread was about and decided to comment anyway?
    In other words, "I can't answer your question but here's an irrelevant solution."

Thanks for your "contributions".

12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Next time just explicitly say you don't want to carry the amp you have back and forth.

It's a unicorn hunt to find another amp that is tiny and will sound particularly close to your big amp.

13. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

Alternatively, I'll make my threads and you can make yours. I'm not being paid to accommodate your inability to read nor am I making threads just for you.

14. LightningPhil

Ah ha! Got it. Sell the child and buy a bigger car.

Nah, probably more politically correct to solve the amp problem. And we all get quite attached to our pet humans anyhow.

Still suggest sticking an attenuator into whatever amp you get. Knocking down a few dB is handy to reduce feedback in small places - as well as avoid friction with other people.

This may be a fun solution:
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blackst...FsTUSsTUzsh8AQggaAv5yEALw_wcB#product-details

15. LightningPhil

Or any other all valve Marshall. Second hand would probably be a good idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.