BB pre/Timmy style for my 'affordaboard'?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grateful Ape, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Loving my BB comp or Lovepedal Valve Reamer into my YCV40 and cheap Mooer delay via my Timmy, but I need an acceptable budget substitute for my knockabout cheapish pedals board that increasingly, I gig with. (My Timmy narrowly missed a beer deluge and so it doesn't go out and about any more.)

What's good to substitute for those? (I'd love an MXR Timmy but the budget doesn't run that far).

Many thanks

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Mosky B-Box is a decent BB Preamp copy for $30.

capt pearl likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Caline pedals are pretty good. I like them better than Mosky and some other cheaper brands. I have their BB Preamp copy (Orange Burst). I think their Timmy copy is called Pure Sky but they've been changing their pedal names recently so that might have changed.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

+1 on the Orange Burst. I don't have an answer on the Timmy clone, I use the MXR Timmy.

5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

The MXR Timmy is excellent. Sounds every bit as good as the v2 that Paul Cochrane offered.

kevsonic and Alex_C like this.
  6. JustPlayItLoud

JustPlayItLoud Tele-Meister

If you prefer name brands, the EHX Crayon is a BB Preamp and is selling used for $40-50, although the Orange Burst seems great as well and Caline is pretty well established at this point.

7. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

I see Demon FX do a BB with compression and mid boost

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The version 1 of the Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive is a Timmy clone that can be found used for a good price. Make sure it's the 1st version though, because V2 is a totally different circuit. The correct one looks like this... I also added a Reverb link below the pic.
    CC TO.jpg
    https://reverb.com/p/danelectro-cool-cat-transparent-overdrive-v1

Charlodius likes this.
  9. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

Joyo's rated boost seems to be well liked. I almost bought one but I got a deal on the MXR Timmy.

10. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Caline Pure Sky is a Timmy and the Orange Burst is a BB pre. Both are very nice and can be had for around 30$ each. Definitely worth it. Very happy with both. Don't know how they will work in your situation but at home they're just fine.

Dr Improbable and Alex_C like this.
  11. No Talent

No Talent TDPRI Member

I agree with the statement above. I will say I had the Caline Pure Sky for almost a year and I did not think it sounds near as good as the MXR Timmy, both tested through the same Marshall Origin 20C amp.

I'm not sure if it's a component difference, the 3 way switch on the MXR, or both but the MXR Timmy sounds far better to me and I I don't think my pedal tastes are that discerning.

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have used the B Box as my main drive for a few years, and love the Pure Sky (never gigged this but it sure sounds good!). I had a BB Pre and don’t hear a huge difference. Just saying...

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have both the Caline Orange Burst as well as this new guy, which is the same as the Orange Burst ( BB preamp clone) but with a dedicated clean Boost- I like the control layout, good tone and the OD and Boost can be used independently- pair it up with another OD = fun options!
    20210626_233726.jpg

Edit- just used it on this morning's regular outdoor cafe/ Marina gig. ( just playing R&R/Dead/blues in the street- not very loud)

I just seem to use any OD ( kept ON) to dial in a little breakup and grind, into a clean amp/Reverb tone.

The Caline (BB-style here) OD's tone takes care of this fine, and with a nice sustain too.
    Then I kick in the Boost for just a pure (and adjustable) Volume lift for breaks...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    kevsonic likes this.
  14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

Second on the Dano transparent overdrive V1 for Timmy clone.

15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

Nice--what does that one run new?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I paid around $60 I think from CheaperPedals.com ( they carry Caline, Joyo, others...)

Funny, I saw this pedal existed immediately after getting the single Caline Orange Burst, and thought
    " the OB+Boost sounds like a great idea!" Ordered the new one, and gave the OD to a buddy of mine for putting a new neck on my Strat!

Caline has come out with a bunch of dual-drive pedals, pairing up some of their fave drives.

Wish they had paired this Orange Burst with a 'Tube Screamer ' -type, but they don't.

'TS' and 'Timmy' they have- but I think the two drives sound too much alike

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love the EHX Crayon - it’s supposed to be a BB pre clone. Won’t break the bank!

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.