1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

BB King on Soundstage

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mlove3, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

How old is BB now? Watched this show last night on PBS, he still sings and plays great but he's not completely with it IMO. He called Richie Sambora (who sat in and did the best Nigel Tufnel impersonation I've ever seen) Ricky Sombrero.
    No matter, there were still a couple of shining moments of pure BB shining through, worth watching just for that.

2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

BB is still great. Screwing up somebody's name is not a sign of old age. I do it all the time.

3. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

I know he was 84 when I saw him in late November.

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I don't usually watch TV but whats the show on PBS? I'd really like to see this. I'm a fan of Mr. King.

5. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

"Screwing up somebody's name is not a sign of old age. "

He didn't seem completely with it though. And he was using a teleprompter, and he played the thrill is gone twice.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Riley B. King (born September 16, 1925), known by the stage name B.B. King.

BB is 84 will be 85 in 2 months.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What stuck me on the show was Sambora's harsh tone, and over-playing.

BB also called him "Ricky". Hey, maybe he just met the guy. "Sombrero" could have been a joke, referring to the hat he usually wears? Besides, "Thrill is Gone" is WORTH playing twice :D

BTW, I saw Steve Miller last year and he played "The Joker" twice in the same set as well. No one complained that I know of...

BB is also diabetic, and may have faded mentally a bit mid-set.

I saw BB locally a couple years ago at the Pacific Amphitheater, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, except for one show in June 1990 at the same venue in which SRV (just a couple months before he died), Joe Cocker and Dr. John played before BB. Then the stage was cleared of the massive amp arrays and huge drum kits, and BB's small ensemble with small combo amps and jazz drum kit came on center stage and just blew us all away. MAN he was on fire that night...

8. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Ricky Sombrero! Classic!

9. pjholland

pjholland Tele-Holic

10. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

"What stuck me on the show was Sambora's harsh tone, and over-playing."

and my question is simply Why? Why play a bunch of rock licks with a saturated generic buzz box sound? You can't step outside your comfort zone for 15 minutes to play with a living legend?
    Is it me or are more pro guitarists with established classic bands playing with worse tones? I watched a recent Heart show on cable, their lead guitarist's tone was horrible. Apparently screechey buzz box distortion is in, setting a new low standard for what passes as tone.

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen that Soundstage a few times. My question is, why Richie Sambora? There are a hundred other players that would be a better fit with BB King. I wonder who made that decision. It was a good show otherwise.

I like Sambora in Bon Jovi, but talk about a mismatch.

12. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

I hope all is well with Mr. King. He seemed ok in Phoenix in November. He didn't much care for my Fender jacket though, and declined to sign my strat pickguard I brought and told me to "Buy a Gibson".

13. napawino

napawino Tele-Holic

BB has lost it. For me, the thrill is gone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.