1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Battle of the Sunbursts: Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by markesquire, Sep 9, 2009.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I absolutely love sunburst teles and have been saving for a long time to do my first build with any components I want.

The Problem? There are two versions of sunburst teles that both have great but different attributes.

Why not just incorporate the best of both worlds? Because I'm a little compulsive about historic authenticity. Weird, I know!

1957 Telecaster

Pros:

1) Beautiful 2-tone sunburst finish
    2) Typically on Ash, which I prefer
    3) Maple neck, which, while I don't have a super-strong preference either way, is a unique and classic Fender innovation.
    4) More of a 50's sound
    5) 1-ply white guard, which I LOVE for its clean look without tons of screws.

Cons:

1) No binding.

[​IMG]

1962 Custom Telecaster

Pros:

1) Binding; looks amazing (although is purposefully reminiscent of a Gibson).
    2) Rosewood with CLAY dots: slightly darker sound (which is good for me), and the clay dots look great when they've aged and darkened.
    3) Very iconic-looking guitar for rock, which I play.

Cons:

1) Pickguard: I just don't like the cluttered look of 8-hole pickguards.
    2) Pickups: typical 60's pickups sound pretty thin and trebly to me, but I'm sure I could find some really hot and fat replacements.
    3) 3-tone burst: for some reason, it just doesn't look as classy as the 2-tone to me.
    4) Overall busy-ness: The combination of binding, 3-tones in the finish, 3-ply pickguard with 8 screws, both rosewood and maple on the neck, etc make for an overly-busy aesthetic.

[​IMG]

2. hendriks

hendriks Tele-Meister

These are 2 completly different(looks and Sound) guitars , try them both and decide.

3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

To me the fingerboards are the biggest tangible difference. I like maple on a Tele (although I prefer a vintage tint). Whether rosewood gives you a darker sound is highly debatable.

I don't like the edge binding because I come from the 'keep it simple' school of design and to me that's added fussiness... trying to look like something it's not?

4. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

The first one.

5. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

That's a tough choice. They're both very appealing. I also have a soft spot for sunburst Tele's but I don't have one, just a blonde. I like rosewood boards but a vintage tinted maple neck is very cool too. To tell you the truth, I've never paid any attention to the number of screws in the pickguard, but I tend to like the 3-ply guards over the single-ply.

6. LoveBandit

LoveBandit Tele-Meister

Number 2 for me. LB.

7. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Definitely the two tone one with out the binding. I just think of the binding as an unecessary add on, kind'a like fenderskirts on a 57 Chevy, who needs em.

8. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What hendriks said above is IMHO the right answer, but if I relied on eyeballs alone it would be the '62.

9. C.E.G.

C.E.G. TDPRI Member

First One

Sounds like you've already made your choice to me... they are both nice looking though...

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you're leaning towards 50's style.

I have a 60's style MIJ, swapped out the 'guard for black for a change. Authenticity is nice, but remember--people in the 50's and 60's changed stuff on their guitars, too. And think of your favorite players. Who plays a guitar that is 100% perfectly factory authentically correct? most have made a few changes here and there, if not tons.

Here's my 60's, for a slightly different look:
    [​IMG]

11. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

BTW, I generally prefer maple boards, looks-wise, on fenders. It is a unique feature to Fender, really, so I like that. I have a 72Custom RI that's maple, and love it.

12. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

1957 Telecaster

Cons:

1) No binding.
    2) No neck pick-up (no wonder it looks less busy)! ;)

If you want accurate, buy an RI. I thought the whole deal with a build was to make it to your own specs. You can have the best of both worlds. :cool:

13. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

My personal choice would be the first one, with a single-ply black pickguard.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Are we allowed to use the word "aesthetic" on the Tele forums :lol:?

15. jebuscrebus

jebuscrebus TDPRI Member

If your building why not choose the best options from each? I know you talk about being true to an original but there are so many copies and boutique builders out there making their own take on a tele that you really can't go wrong, and no one is going to say "Nice Tele too bad it has a single ply pickgaurd", or "those tuners don't look right".

If you pick the qualities you like best your guaranteed to have a fiddle you should really enjoy playing. My 2 cents FWIW!

-J-

16. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

#2, by far. That's a sharp looking axe my friend.

17. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

I like the '57 best!

18. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

Show me 100 Sunburst Teles and I'll show you 50 different variations.

19. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I had one of these customs with bindings. IMHO the binding makes a rather sharp edge for your arm which does not add comfort.
    personally I prefer the minimalistic look of the standard tele, but if you like the look of the binding, go ahead!

20. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Kinda like this one I recently completed (Check over on the Vendor Forum)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.