1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Battle of the budget 10" combos!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ssmtb, Sep 6, 2017.

Which 10" combo?

1. Laney Cub 10

10 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Orange 35RT

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Fender Pro Jr

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. Fender Bassbreaker 007

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  5. Peavey Envoy 110

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. VHT Special 6

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  7. Vox AC10

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I voted Laney Cub 10, largely because I've got one.
    It has the requisite gain, tone and the all important master volume. Do not underestimate the usefulness of a gain/master setup!
    As they come, they're OK. The stock valves do a sterling job for a while, the speaker is OK, nothing to complain about, nothing to sing the praises of either. For such a small box, they escape being a boxy sounding amp ( I use an amp stand, may help here ) by simple dint of being totally open back :)
    It sounds quite nice quiet, it seems to accept any pedal short of full metal \m/ madness quite well, it goes extremely loud when needed too. It is small enough to treat it as a head unit and run it in to an external cab. Multiples of 12" speakers sound superb. It does not do modern metal tones at all well. Everything else is fine.
    To perk it up, if you go Laney, learn how to bias it. They are factory biased quite conservatively. A 5751 or 12AY7 in V1 gives a greater range to the gain control It'll still go bonkers when dimed, don't worry, but at lower volumes, you get a greater range.
    Pretty much anything works OK in V2.
    The stock Ruby 6V6 valves are OK to begin with. After a year though, I felt mine had lost some volume and were just not 'sitting right' any more. A pair of JJ and a rebias brought it back to life. It had a lot of hours, some at very high volume levels on it during the first year.
    I swapped the speaker for a Jensen MOD 10/70 as raved about in a very long thread on TGP. It's a little bassier, has a nice mid-range to it and the treble is handled somewhat better, less tizz, at high volumes than the stock H|H 1050
    It gets over a drummer OK. Not exactly clean while it does it, but it does sound very good indeed. That's an issue with the Bassbreaker 007 and most other 5 Watt single EL84 amps. They just haven't got the whumph. Wind them right up and listen to them fall apart. There may only be a few Db between a 007 and a Cub 10, but to stretch an analogy, the Cub has far more torque. It can fill a room.
    I've only heard the Orange in store, it sounded OK, and on YouTube, it sounded OK. It garners a lot of respect. Try one.
    Pro Jr?, no master volume. Great if you can crank it or have an attenuator though.
    VHT?, no practical experience.
    Vox?, nice sounding. It has reverb. It's a bit over top reverb, but it has reverb.
    Peavey?, dunno. Never heard that model.

Valve?, Vox or Laney. Solid state?, the Orange seems nice. Ooh, no help whatsoever :)

ssmtb and brbadg like this.
  2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I don't even try to get "cranked tube amp at kids are sleeping upstairs" levels. I'll still use my big Fenders and a pedal, concentrate on the playing, and worry about sounding amazing when I have an empty house. Years ago I had a POD and a set of headphones....that might be the way to go. But if I HAD to walk out of the store with such a TUBE amp, I'd go Super/Vibro Champ XD. But I'd probably go solid state.

3. basdenchris

basdenchris TDPRI Member

I had a really hard time choosing. The Bassbreaker 007 has great Marshally saturation, the Pro Jr is a fantastic amp when you're in a room that allows you to crank it, and the VHT Special 6 was one of my first tube amps. In the end, though, I wound up choosing the AC10. I've played at least a half dozen of these in the past year or so, and every new one still makes me giggle! The only other 10" combo I've played that sounds that good is a Princeton, and the grit of the Vox is a little more fitting for what I play anyway.

4. guitarking65

guitarking65 TDPRI Member

I went through a similar process looking at new amps on the market and in the end went with a Pro Jr which I got at a really good price. Although not a quiet amp I get by on use at home (never leaves the house) with a 63 boss reverb pedal, Soul Food and other dirt boxes/ fuzz. It takes pedals well at lower volumes and its better than using an attenuator (I tried). Its great clean with just the reverb. I play a CV strat mostly.and didn't want a modeller or effects amp and wanted to just play instead of fiddling with tones when I get the time to play. Really happy with Pro Jr. Less is more

ssmtb likes this.
  5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just a Pro Jr and delay works well (delay pedals are also cheaper than reverb) but I play mine mostly just straight in. At low volume cut the guitar treble and that fattens it up. Run it about volume 4-6 tone around 6 and open as much guitar volume as the neighbors will abide. Have an attenuator, but I prefer clean more anyway, so haven't been using it much.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Since I use a Boss ME80 I can play any amp at bedroom vol with great tones...just lower the master vol on the board and voila.....I can play my 5e3 any time I want with great cleans and crunch......still have the amp at a sweet spot for the tubes.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

If I were looking for one amp to go from garage band rocking out to playing while the kids are sleeping, I wouldn’t look at a tube amp. I wouldn’t expect the tubes to like whisper quiet volumes. So of your list, I’d be looking at either the Orange or the Peavey. And if I were looking for “low volume dirt” to be supplied by a favorite pedal, I probably wouldn’t be looking at something known for crunch, like the Orange, as much as I like the Orange crunch. I’ve owned Peavey Envoys in the past, nice clean, and if I was looking to a pedal to get me from pretty to gritty, I’d go with the Envoy. So that’s how I voted.

ssmtb and haggardfan1 like this.
  8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

The only way you're going to get 'tube sound at a whisper' is with the VHT S6 ultra with the VVT. By cranking the VVT down it starved the output plate for voltage and the amp can break up at stupid low volumes. Incase you didn't know, 5 watts tubes is still really loud. Easily comparable with a trumpet at full volume. The VVT also has its drawbacks. I dont generally like the sound of starved tube plates, begins to sound like diode clipping.

Obsessed and cabra velha like this.
  9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I haven't played through a new Peavey Envoy, but I got a new Bandit a few years back and I really like it. I do use secondhand red-stripe era Envoys and to me, mine sound just fine at low volumes. One might have to finesse the gain channel master just a little, to get the tone you want at lower volumes; but I think it can be done.

Granted, the only other amp on your list I have owned was a Pro Junior--and I gigged with it for quite a while. At the time, I was doing a lot of festival gigs, and I ultimately traded it for something bigger--but I really did like it. The one I had just didn't seem very well built, and gave me some issues in spite of how gently I used it, but that's certainly nothing against the PJ in general. I've seen mine get laughed at during setup, then proceed to bury a lot of way bigger amps :).

One other thing, I recall not caring for the low volume sound of the PJ so much. But within reason, the louder it got, the better it sounded. I know the PJ has a ton of fans around here, and with good reason; it just wasn't my forever amp.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    ssmtb likes this.
  10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

My PJ with the lower gain valve is REALLY Nice even at mid/lower volumes (still not kids sleeping level but not far off) . Given that I use either a TS pedal or more usually a RP1000 in front of anything, gain/drive etc is achievable at any volume.

Was quite concerned about the PJ as all reviews and You Tube videos show it being very loud. Maybe it has to be with the normal valve in it.

ssmtb likes this.
  11. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies so far! I'll look closer into that Laney Cub for sure. Wish there were some locally to play. I'm so torn on the Pro Jr too, it would go so well with my LP Junior, but nearly everybody says that it's not so great at low volumes, even with a good dirt pedal.

Definitely not interested in the SCXD/X2. Didn't do it for me.

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

0.5, 1, 7 and 15 watts with a 10" speaker, clean and dirty channel.
    Orange Rocker 15

13. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

A wicked awesome amp for sure. A lot of amp for the money, but not excaxtly "budget" price range. If I had 800 to spend, oh the possibilities.

Boubou likes this.
  14. theruns

theruns TDPRI Member

I voted Special 6 because I love mine. Granted, I've changed the tubes, speaker, and I run it through an attenuator at home (apartment living sucks). But it's a wonderful little amp and great for me.

Side note: I take it that your name means Single Speed Mountian Bike right? If so, you sir are a friend already! haha

15. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Forget combos, get a Vox MV50 head with a small cabinet. The NuTube technology really sounds great. Since it has a solid state output stage, it WILL do the "tube tone at whisper volumes" thang.

I'm loving my "Rock" model, the Marshall-voiced version, which has way more gain than I need, so I run it with the Gain knob at 10 o'clock. The Deep switch on the back helps small cabinets sound more like a stack.

You might prefer the "AC" or "Clean" models. Try them all.

Here's my new practice rig: a blown-up Peavey Rage repurposed as a 1-8" cabinet.

[​IMG]

Through a 1-12" cabinet, the amp is easily loud enough for jamming in the garage. Louder than my 18 Watter clone, I think.

zippofan, LGOberean and mnutz like this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Folks don't overlook the Boss Katana 50 ;):)

17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Roland Blues Cube Hot 0.5 - 30W Tweed Tone

18. LGOberean

The OP stated at the outset that he had one but it wasn't for him and that he'd be taking it back.

19. LGOberean

Yes! Cool repurposing of a Peavey Blazer! :cool:

I'm GASing for an MV50 myself. Leaning towards the AC model. I've always had combos, so for me it's not just the price of the amp but getting a cab as well. I'd want a 1x12" cab for it, not just the 1x8". If I want a Vox amp with an 8" speaker, I'll just use one of my Pathfinders.

ssmtb likes this.
  20. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Oops :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.