Battle-Axe: '87 Rickenbacker 350

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by THX1123, May 10, 2021.

1. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Like my Yellow 3 knob SG this one has been through the wars. I bought this from a creepy guy in July 1988 for $350 USD. He even had the shipping box. I don't recall what he was asking but I offered him $350 and he took it. It was absolutely as new when I bought it. I don't name my axes, but this one should probably have a name too.

Finding this guitar was a dream come true. The whole way home from buying it I couldn't believe my luck. These things are uncommon at best. I wanted a full-scale Rick so badly but they've always been expensive. I had traded everything I had the summer prior for a Rick 325. I wasn't happy with the short scale. I had found the exact guitar I wanted in this 350.

I've played this guitar hard for decades. I believe guitars are tools. They get better as you play them and every ding and scar is proof. This guitar gets used more for recording nowadays. I replaced the bridge pickup last year because the original died. Other than that this guitar has needed no work in the 34 years I've owned it.

Rick3500.JPG Rick3501.JPG Rick3502.JPG Rick3503.JPG Rick3504.JPG Rick3505.JPG Rick3506.JPG Rick3508.JPG Rick3509.JPG Rick35010.JPG

Slip Kid, effzee, wacolo and 11 others like this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Star Fleet FTW

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Wow! What a great guitar.

Fendereedo, Pcs264 and VonBonfire like this.
  4. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

That is a beauty!

Obtaining a Rick is one of my life goals. It may not happen until I retire, but it will happen.

Fendereedo and VonBonfire like this.
  5. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Yes I love it an actual real relic with so many memories behind it that's still a player. She's a beauty, thanks for sharing!

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fricken' sweet.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Love it!

I spent a few years trying to find a beater when shopping for my Rickenbacker. Something that had been put to work and I didn't have to be as precious about, perhaps even saving some money compared to new. But in the end, I went with a new 330 since the only beat-up ones I could find were vintage examples that were even more expensive. Even now with Reverb, it doesn't seem much easier to find "player-grade" Rickenbackers...

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Fendereedo and drlucky like this.
  8. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I've been fortunate to own 5 Ricks. 2 of them were used and they weren't much cheaper used. I should not have sold any of them.
    In my experience Ricks are one of the few guitars I have had no problem buying without playing them first. I would buy one again without playing it first. The ones I am referring to and have experience are the laminated neck-through designs.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  9. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Sweet Rick!!

Just out of curiosity, the two screws where the bridge cover would normally attach: did you just put the screws back in when you took the cover off, or did you modify them to attach the bridge to the mounting plate on the guitar?

10. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I put the screws back in. I actually just took the bridge cover off last month. I was tracking an overdub and needed to palm mute a part. You can palm mute with it on there but I was having trouble playing that specific part so I took it off.

drlucky likes this.
  11. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Beauty. I have a 1984 which I believe was the first year for the 350. I like the looks of these better than the 350V63 because the 24 fret neck on these places the pickup spread and bridge location the same in the body as the 325.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Do you still have the bridge cover? I lost the one for my '83 330 long ago.

13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Never owned a Ricky, that may have to change. I recall watching Richey Edwards of Manic Street Preachers hurling one of these into the air, at one of their early gigs, and snapping the neck, such a waste, they are beautiful machines.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Yes I still have it.

15. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

VERY cool! Rics are special. One of these days I will scrape up the cash for another 360 - oh and no janglecore for it! Only hard rocking tones (just like my old ones made).

The bridge cover is a pain for palm muting, and picking, if you rest your hand on the bridge for picking like I do in general, when I pick (it puts your hand at an awkward angle with regards to the strings). I took the bridge covers off of the 3, 360s I owned, put them in the case, and put the screws back on to keep crud out of the screw holes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.