Battery powered string trimmers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Mar 30, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It looks hoky, but I think it is my best lawn maintenance tool ever and has really opened my eye to battery powered tools. I will get a pole saw next, from the same company when my battery wears out.

djh22, GuitLoop and tery like this.
  2. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Next thing you know they'll be making cars that run on batteries.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

I've had one for 2-3 years. Pure genius.

Last summer I bought a leaf blower that uses the same battery. Looking at chain saws next.

DrPepper likes this.
  4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking it was a new must have gadget to ease the work of trimming the tails off new strings and thinking this chap could have benefitted from one.

20200330_145202.jpg

That Cal Webway and RodeoTex like this.
  5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

nothing less than 80v has the power to the job. My battery leaf blower is my most indispensable tool.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Yep had one for two years now. Never had a problem getting it to start ;)

Will never go back to gas.

DrPepper likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I want a battery powered steM cleaner..............don’t s’pose the technology’s up to it yet.

DrPepper likes this.
  8. DrPepper

Light bulb went off after reading your reply... Use the ball end of a big E string as a string line replacement....

9. DrPepper

I cut 1/4 acre of weeds with a 20 volt tool... Back pack not needed... I knew a carpenter that could drive 16 penny nails with two strokes of his 12 ounce finish hammer.

LeftFinger likes this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I am fully content with two-stroke engines and happy to install the occasional carb and fuel line kit to keep a saw or trimmer working. I like how they sound and smell and am not put off by mixing fuel. I think this is because all that provides a nostalgic connection to my fondly remembered years of being a dirt bike kid.

That said, I just inherited a 36V Black & Decker cordless trimmer and a 40V Greenworks cordless lawn mower from a relative, and I am pretty impressed.

I need a gas trimmer and mower here around the farm because there is so much to mow. Or I’d need multiple batteries and chargers going. But those two units are light, easy to handle and powerful enough to be useful...and quiet. I can see where they would be a huge advantage in a suburban setting.

Ian T and DrPepper like this.
  11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I love my Dewalt cordless drill
    I’d consider other things.

I admit when I read “string trimmer” in the op title I thought “Wow, why would you need an electric tool to cut the extra string after you put on a new set”?

What the man is saying is “I really like my electric weed eater”.

I get it now.

Texicaster likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have battery lawn mower, trimmer, blower, and clippers. I hate them all. I would go back to gas. But as long as these "tools" are still working enough, I gotta get the last life out of them before spending any more dough on yard gear. Already killed off two batteries after 3 years of sporadic use.

They all suck. Just some suck less than others. Basically, the tougher the job the more it sucks.

13. DrPepper

Weed eater is a brand of string trimmers like Kleenex is a brand of tissue paper...BTW, electric Weed eaters are worthless as I remember them. My string trimmer is made by Worx.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Harry Styron likes this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, I've used a wimpy Black & Decker 20v string trimmer for about three years now. If I were having to do more than my yard, there's no way I would stick with it. That being said, it works fine for my yard. It takes two batteries to trim and edge the entire yard... and the thing is so light, it doesn't aggravate my back pain like my old two-stroke Poulan did. That thing didn't seem super-heavy at first, but after walking around the yard with it for 30 mins, it was really bad on my back. I had to use a harness with it. I also love that I don't have to wear ear protection with the electric one.

DrPepper likes this.
  15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Grass and weeds are tougher in Florida :)
    I had a 40v Ryobi trimmer that was like using a toy - went back very quickly.

16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Blimey - sounds lethal. Watch your toes!

DrPepper likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

After getting tired of spending more time trying to start or keeping running a gas trimmer than actually using it, I finally bought an electric. The last was a Stihl gas and a POS. I'm now actually getting some trimming done! I bought a cheap one and for grass and weeds it's fine. Corded 120 volt. $35

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

This is like the one I have: LINK

A full charge will get all the way around the house and yard, about an acre and a half. It's only ever petered out once, and I'm not sure it was fully charged that time.

19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Battery powered tools are handy if you use them often and cycle the battery regularly or if like a contractor you do work where there are no outlets available. I have had too many battery operated tools have the battery go bad or still have a good tool but the battery replacement costs almost as much as a new tool. I still have a few corded tools that my father owned. Aside from dealing with a cord, the corded tools always work and they work as long as I want to use them. If I want to put a wire brush in a drill or grinder I can use it as many hours as I want to without the battery running down and I can grab a tool and never care if it is charged.

DrPepper likes this.
  20. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have an 18V Ryobi that gets the job done for me, but I don't have much to weedeat.

If I needed more umph, I would get a Dewalt Flexvolt. Used a friend's and was impressed with it.

Am about done with 2-cycle gas tools. I still have a chainsaw, string trimmer, and blower, but I have battery equivalents of all of them that I prefer.

Still using a gas mower though.

LeftFinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.