1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Battery Powered PA Advice needed

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Whoa Tele, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking of buying a battery powered PA to use for busking, informal jams etc. I'd like to be able to run both acoustic and electric guitars as well as one vocal through it. Thus far I've looked at the Roland Street Cube EX, Fishman loudbox mini, and the Bose S1.Just wanted real world advice from those who've tried any of these or other options. Thanks

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

3. Whoa Tele

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

The Roland Street Cube EX would be my choice. The guitar effects close the deal. Was impressed when I heard one in use at an outdoor festival. Was about to get one but couldn’t think of any place where I couldn’t get power. I have a Fender Passport mini, but can’t recommend, cause it’s weak for vocal mic amplification.

5. Whoa Tele

My concern with the EX is mainly the quality off the vocals. Seems like the Bose would have more clarity and volume but will definitely check out the Street Cube as well. Thanks

6. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Two years ago I started playing farmers markets & such where there was no AC power available. Usually solo but sometimes with two other vocalists. I've been real happy with the following:

Behringer Xenyx 1002B
    https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A04

Behringer MPA40BT
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPA40BT--behringer-mpa40bt

BOSS VE-2
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/ve-2/

I use a USB 5v to 9v adapter to run a guitar preamp and a couple effects.

This might be a more complex set up than you want for just busking, but I've been real happy with the flexibility it gives me for different types of uses. I've used the VE-2 and guitar preamp direct to the speaker for quick & easy. And that little speaker is surprisingly capable of filling up a parking lot or field with music considering it's wattage rating.

But that battery powered mixer is the jam in that it gives better EQ options, has easily handled three vox mics + two guitars at the same time. While it lacks on-board effects it does have send/return FX for the full system as well as inserts on the first two channels. Also has a separate monitor mix which few mixers in this price range include.

I've run the whole system off batteries for 4+ hour gigs. Doing a gig followed by a practice a few days later it's gone over six hours without running out of juice.

Before getting these things I picked up a Roland battery powered acoustic/vocal amp. That worked OK but I felt it lacked the flexibility, sound quality and volume of what I ended up with. And it wasn't much cheaper.

If I were to start over, I'm sure I would give the newish Fishman Loudbox w/battery a spin for its ease of use and more grab&go nature for solo stuff. But I'd still want that Behringer mixer to be able to expand.

PS: time flies and there are always new products on the market. Two years can be a long time with these things.

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

yeh, if it’s labeled Bose it must be the best....

8. Whoa Tele

I don’t necessarily feel that way but I was in a duo where the other guy had one of their towers and it sounded pretty darn good.

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Give me power and I’ll bring big watts.

upload_2021-3-3_10-4-43.jpeg

10. vashuba

vashuba TDPRI Member

So I have the JBL Eon Compact one. pretty nice, have used it with no issues. has an app to control your mixer. has a few effects you can route but not many.

Another option would be to get a portable battery pack and plugin the PA assuming the power spec match up. I have this unit and its great. can plug my amp in there. Pure sine wave. I do remote recordings with this powering my small rack setup.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QK75TM/?tag=tdpri-20

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

My battery pack with 120V outlet.

upload_2021-3-3_11-25-32.jpeg

dougstrum likes this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Our singer has a street cube. We haven't used the battery power mode. Fine for practice and small shop front gigs. It actually saved our bacon once when I spilled a glass on the mixer:confused:
    She keeps it in her car just in case:rolleyes:

13. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I have a Cube Street EX and it's exactly this, my bacon saver. It's light, it's cheap, it can stand in when needed if the power goes down, or as spare PA, guitar amp, monitor, bass amp . . . It's the sound system for block parties and the friend announcing his run for city council. It plays drum loops from my phone while I practice in my basement. I could go on.

dougstrum likes this.
  14. Whoa Tele

How do the vocals sound with the Street Cube? Is there enough volume to play a small club with decent clarity? Thanks

15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can only speak to the Bose S1, it is awesome at what it does and for Bose it is reasonably priced.

16. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Vocals sound surprisingly good, never used it in a club, but have used in tasting rooms at vineyards. Set it on a bar stool and point it out into the crowd. We have only used it with the duo~jazz guitar through amp and vocals through street cube. Bar or club with full band might be pushing it.

17. Whoa Tele

Thanks everyone.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seriously not a fan of battery powered PA's. They are great for short seminars, but regardless of published specs, the battery tends to fade quickly with live musicians. I no longer keep them in my inventory because unlike a traditional powered speaker, the battery will get to a point where it no longer fully charges, and finding a replacement is a disaster. I use & recommend the QSC K-series for just about everything from small-med room size mains, and extensively as monitor wedges. I believe they will still be in service when I retire within the next 10 years.

19. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Vocals sound pretty good with the Cube Street. There are trade offs for the convenience of it, so don't expect it to sound like a full pro PA. My main PA system is getting quite old and never was top-of-the-line (Mackey 16 channel board, Samson powered speaker mains and wedges). The Cube Street holds up ok to it. I put it on a speaker stand and it can certainly fill a small room. I plug it in and not run it on battery when I can. It runs on 8 AA batteries.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.