1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

battery powered amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scook, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i like that idea. less messy than spray paint too. now i have my winter project. peace. if anyone is wondering why i did not just leave the back solid. i wanted to be able to use the speaker with another amp if i liked for one. b, i wanted to get inside if i had to with out removing a dozen screws.. and most important. i wanted a easy place to store and get to the power supply with a extra set of battery's too. some picks too. works out well.

chris.

2. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Steve, I used an old hard sided suitcase and a pre-wired board so it was pretty easy. I just had to map it out and drill and cut some holes. The parts were probably about $70.

If I make another, I might just build my own cabinet like Chris did. It. looks pretty cool.

Attached Files:

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Way cool home-made suitcase amp! Me likey!

One other thought-- all of these amps run on DC power. I imagine they have an AC/DC converter so you can run them at home. This means that they have a place to plug in the adaptor, probably similar to where you plug an adaptor into a stomp box, or perhaps a different adaptor type, but whatever.

So if you know what the requisite DC operating voltage is- 12V, 18V, 24V, whatever, it should be pretty easy to put together either C-cells or D cells or those big flashlight batteries in whatever configuration you want to provide many, many more hours of battery life. Just put the batteries together to get the right voltage output and hook up the adaptor with positive or negative to the tip as required.

In other words, battery life would not be my first consideration. You want to get really Rube Goldberg, you take a car battery, one of those 12V-DC to 110V AC converters, and then plug your amp's 110V AC to DC converter into that. Not as efficient due to energy losses in the two conversions, but you would probably get way more time out of a car battery than your fingers could stand.

If your car is parked nearby you can just use the cigarette lighter receptacle to do the same thing. If the amp happens to run on 12V DC, then no conversion necessary-- just run it off the lighter receptacle, making sure to get the polarity right. You park your car, unload your stuff onto the sidewalk, tape down the power cord going from your car's lighter outlet to your amp on the other side of the sidewalk, then start busking. You make more money if you drive a beat-up Yugo than if you're plugged into your Lamborghini Countach.

4. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

Pignose....lasts forever, good battery life, ac adapter, nice preamp out.......can't lose.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In college, in about 1982, I had a huge Ampeg solid state half stack that was clean, clean, clean. I had a Pignose that I used as the pre-amp, so my dirt sound was coming from the Pignose. It seemed glorious at the time, although I would love to hear it today. In those days there weren't as many options for dirt as there are today, at least not for a really poor college kid. At some point I got a Distortion+. Around 1983 or 1984 I finally was able to buy my first proper tube amp- a Fender Super Champ. But that Pignose worked great!!

6. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i dig the suit case amp jesse. the only problem with the pignose amp. they hate humbuckers. or at least every humbucker i own. they love single coils tho and sound great. i have two.. the tweed version, and the regular brown one. which i plan on putting in a new box since the pig leather is beat to hell pulling up etc. i think ill have t o go to good will and look for a small suit case. thanks for the idea.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

DRRI and a portable generator. Life is too short to compromise.

8. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I have a Vox DA5 5W 1x6.5 Guitar Combo Amp that works fantastic... not only does it sound fairly descent of SS amp, but it can get fairly loud and the effects aren't half bad either... great for on the boat/camping/etc

9. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I tried a Marshall MG2CFX, I was pretty impressed. Priced at $119.

10. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Vox Mini3 here. For less than $100 it is about as good as it gets.

11. locorogue

locorogue TDPRI Member

Pignose

I missed the size choice you were looking for, so i'll give my .02 cents per a few options i've tried...

Pignose. If you want to go real small, Pignose Hog20, only has a 6.5" speaker, but is 20 watts and loud as hell. it has a 'squeel' knob to adjust from crystal clear to distortion. it does have a speaker and headphone out.

Pignose Hog30, 8" speaker that can handle bass frequencies too, really loud. obviously heavier than the Hog20, but there's the decision, it's almost twice the size of the Hog20, but the trade of is huge, in every way. the biggest bonus that i like is the ability to play acoustic guitar through the HOg30, i play a baritone as well, and it handles the lower frequencies like a champ. amp out, headphone out as well.

The only drawbacks, they are obviously going to be heavier than say the Microcube(which i love as well), and the Hogs batteries are only rechargeable. Hog20's should be around $120 new. I scored a used one for $60, but had to replace the batteries, so in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a new Hog20.

The Hog30 can be had new for $130ish.

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Consider though, an amp needs to be 1 to 3 watts even just running headphones. That eats batteries. Back before we had decent battery amps I used a Grundig Party Boy radio (has pickup input), about 3 watts on 6 rechargeable D-cells.
    Strangely, a digital modeller is going to consume more power than an analogue amp, it has to power the modelling chips as well as drive the speaker, and those digital chips can be greedy.

Alternative suggestion iPhone with Sonic Port and MobilePOD app, headphones with headphone amp about the size of a book of batches. Or similar.

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I said it before: the cute (but pricey) Yamaha THR10C. Despite being a digital modeler, it sounds nice & the fender rendition is very engaging. Size is so small.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.