Battery maintainers…any words of wisdom?

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Easy, unhook the battery cables when not in use

I’ve had classic cars for 30+ years and used to do that. It certainly helps.

But even then, if your temps dip down into the single digits F and you aren’t starting them for months, it takes a toll on batteries. Since I’ve started using a battery tender I’ve had the same battery for 10 years in my car and almost that long in my tractor.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I start the CJ7 so rarely, the battery is usually dead.

I suspect a trickle charger/maintainer might do the trick.

What’s the Hive Wisdom?
What I did with my Harley was run a wire from the battery to a female input mounted under and flush with the edge of the seat. During the winter months when I don't ride a lot I plug in a male output from a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. When I'm ready to ride, it's just a matter of unplugging the lead from the charger to the Harley.

Last edited:

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I've been using this little one on my old 1994 Saturn that I keep in the garage, it's worked beautifully. I think it was only around 15 bucks.

20220103_154043.jpg

For my motorhome parked in the backyard I have a couple of solar panels on the hood, which faces south so it gets pretty good sun exposure. The small panel keeps the engine battery charged, and the larger panel keeps the house batteries charged. I have a solar controller under the hood, and one in the house battery compartment, and exterior SAE connectors at both locations so I can quickly plug and unplug the panels.

20220103_154629.jpg

Last edited:

draggindakota

Tele-Meister
I use a Battery Tender on my '93 Miata while it hibernates in the detached garage all winter.

BT includes a quick-disconnect harness that you can leave on the battery and plug in when needed.

I use two Battery Tenders on my stored boat batteries in the basement all winter.

Get the REAL Battery Tenders... not the cheap Harbor Fright versions!

This. I keep the quick connect installed on my motorcycle so I can just plug it in to the tender and leave it.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yep. Battery Tender or Optimate. There are probably other good brands out there, but there are a bunch of cheapo chargers, too. At our dealership, every motorcycle comes with a battery lead with SAE connector installed, so that there’s no excuse not to get one. (There’s an Optimate charger with an actual Honda part number.)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I start the CJ7 so rarely, the battery is usually dead.

I suspect a trickle charger/maintainer might do the trick.

What’s the Hive Wisdom?

It could be your battery is shot. I would charge it and have it tested under load at a car center - usually free. My guess it has little charge capacity left.

A Battery Tender is of little use once the battery is toast. It is best to use them from Day 1. I recently bought a battery tester because of numerous batteries I use. I have a Battery Tender on all of my batteries that don't get charged at least once a week. A couple times per year, I go around with my tester and load test every one. They show me how many CCA are available with a full charge. As the battery ages and becomes sulfated, the CCA value decreases.

I recently went to check the starter battery in my automatic house generator. This battery is on a maintenance charger provided by the generator unit. The generator said the battery was "OK", but the load tester found it was only capable of putting out 30% of the CCA. This would drop even more in sub-zero weather when we often lose power. The terminals had also become deposited rather suddenly. So I replaced the battery just to be safe as it was also 5 years old.

If you have numerous batteries, I recommend maintenance chargers and also periodic testing with a load tester.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I use a Battery Tender on my '93 Miata while it hibernates in the detached garage all winter.

BT includes a quick-disconnect harness that you can leave on the battery and plug in when needed.

I use two Battery Tenders on my stored boat batteries in the basement all winter.

Get the REAL Battery Tenders... not the cheap Harbor Fright versions!

I second the Battery Tender..accept no substitutes. This is the one I use (there is also a 0.75A mini version)......
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU/?tag=tdpri-20