1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Battery Life

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tommym1, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tommym1

tommym1 TDPRI Member

I just bought a new amp and am in need of some distortion. I don't really use effects & rely on tube distortion. I broke out my 1980's MXR (unused for about 20+ years), and purchased a used Ibanez tube screamer(MIJ), & Boss Super Overdrive SD-1. All got new batteries. I left them for a week unused, but plugged in together. Tried them last night and the MXR batteries are fine but the other 2 were dead.
    Is this common or are the new/used pedals bad???

2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Since I've got an active bass, or three, everything generally gets unplugged at the end of every practice session. Amps, guitars, basses, and pedals with batteries inside...

3. tommym1

tommym1 TDPRI Member

No amp or guitar connected. Just pedals connected together like in an unused pedalboard...

4. CoachJM

CoachJM TDPRI Member

Tommy,

Most battery-powered pedals engage the battery when a cord is inserted into the input jack. This will drain the battery as long as the cord is in, even if no guitar is connected and the effect is not engaged.

I'm guessing the MXR is first in the chain?

JM

5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

But he said that the guitar was not plugged in... that's a weird one. Could be faulty batteries?
    I had forgotten about a pedal for two years with the 9V battery still in. I tried it last week and it's still working after a week's use! :)

6. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Well,the guitar might not be plugged in.....but if the cable that comes FROM the guitar is plugged in to the first pedal,it will drain.

7. Seasicksailor

Good point... I assumed that no guitar meant no cable.

This happened to me with my first pedal actually. I stepped on it assuming it will switch off, but it hadn't. I was quite puzzled the next day!

8. CoachJM

CoachJM TDPRI Member

Seasick & Refin,

He said the GUITAR was not plugged in, but the pedal chain was still CONNECTED.

The guitar only connects to the FIRST pedal in the chain. If the guitar is not connected to pedal 1's "in, but pedal 1's "out" is connected to pedal 2's "in", and pedal 2's "out" is connected to pedal 3's "in", then pedal 2 and pedal 3 are going to drain their batteries, while pedal 1's battery will not be drained.

He said 2 pedals had dead batteries and one didn't. Hmmmmm....

JM

9. Seasicksailor

That makes perfect sense... but it's just too simple. I want more mystery! :p

10. tommym1

tommym1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the help! Only the pedals were connected to each other.
    I didn't realize pedals draw voltage when plugged in and switched off.
    Thinking about getting a Dunlop Brick power supply and just unplugging the MXR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.