Batman V Superman. Save your money.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Watch it when it hits Netflix or HBO or whatever.

The first half feels like it's nine hours long, and accomplishes a whole lot of going nowhere.

The second half is actually pretty good. If you can enjoy the superb action sequences and visuals, and get past the gaping plot holes and a script that the WB would have laughed at. Seriously, as super hero scripts go, the writing on the Smallville series BURIES this movie. Yeah, it's that bad.

If you had asked me to make a list of the top 100 actresses I would cast as Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot would not have been on it. I just never would have imagined her in that role. Buy that casting agent a beer, because she is beyond perfect for the role. Just absolutely ace.

Unfortunately, she's a consolation prize. Not near enough of her character, and what's there is really not given its due. Her spot in the movie frankly comes across as an afterthought.

She should have had her own movie. I get the distinct feeling that DC and the studio knew they had a weak film, and tossed in some eye candy to get the comic geeks out of their parents basement for the night. The upside is, she shines like a diamond, and even with crap hand she was dealt, makes a huge impression.

I was fully prepared to hate Affleck as Batman, and I actually generally like him. I walked away loving him in the role. He's an even darker knight than Bale, and manages to leave the "oh whoa is me, I'm such a sad, tortured, orphan" thing out of the equation. He's just pissed. And it seriously works.

Doomsday is awful. Just as bad as it gets. Remember the troll in the Moria battle scene in Fellowship of the Ring? Yeah. That's him. With super powers. Snooze.

Can't remember the guy's name who plays Lex Luthor. He was entertaining. Took the character in a new direction that I actually am looking forward to seeing more of.

To summarize- the whole thing script and plot wise is really weak, tediously slow, and completely full of holes. The movie feels really disjointed, and like whoever put it together was in a hurry and really didn't want to mess with making it as good as it could have been.

The action sequences and visuals are great for the most part.

Marvel really kicked things into high gear with Deadpool. If DC wants to be a player, they're gonna have to really step up their game. They are WAY behind the 8 ball with Batman V Superman. I think they did well with casting and characters, except for Superman, who was wholly unremarkable in any way, and Doomsday, who was just stupid. But the writing, both script and plot, was horrific. Even for a comic book film. The whole thing took a great idea, and thoroughly failed to deliver.

Gibson and Ash Telecaster like this.
  2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I thought the whole movie was way, way, way, too dark, both literally and figuratively....and Jake, you're spot on with Gadot as Wonder Woman, can't wait to see her in her own movie.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

Can't say I disagree with anything you've said. Gal Gadot was wonderful, and painfully underutilized. But Ben Affleck! Man! I wanted a dark, mean, brutal Batman, and I got it. It's just a shame that Superman had to be there to suck the energy out of everything.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've already decided to not see any more movies based on comic books.

Boubou and Jakedog like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That's too bad. My father-in-law was an extra in this movie so the whole family is going to see it over the next week and look for his performance. He has been doing some B horror films too, all for fun as a retiree hobby, but no one has been brave enough to see those.

DP did a great job and will be a benchmark in the future (though busting through the 4th wall routine will get old fast since all the other producers will think that was the key to DP's success and it was all the other bits working together).

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll save my loot and go buy some new strings for my Tele instead.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Interesting; your review is a lot more forgiving than your headline. :p

I am still tossing it over; I actually enjoyed the last Superman film, which all the hard-core fans seemed to hate, and I guess I've seen every Batman film in the theater (not including the 60s era film), so I feel like I SHOULD go see it... dunno. Maybe, maybe not.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

SPOILER ALERT:

I wanted Superman to say, just once, "Hey everyone. Yes people died and buildings were destroyed, but I stopped a guy from killing every human on the planet. IT WASN"T MY FAULT!"

The whole thing about blaming Superman for the damage was ridiculous, and Batman especially should have seen past that. The movie hinged on a very faulty premise: that Bruce Wayne was angry at Superman for the destruction caused to Metropolis. It just didn't ring true.

Oh, and after the first kryptonite smoke bomb, why didn't Superman just hold his breath?

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It's all AC\DC to me...I had absolutely no desire to see it from the outset...thanks for your confirmation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

"Batman V Superman. Save your money."

That's about what I've heard.

11. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I see silly pimp-industry mascots mud-wrestling in the Roman-ho spectacle of family fragmentation.

The vultures gather around the money-carcass while our supposedly real heroes buffet, leverage, and implode behind the kid-curtains.

Looks great!

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What's there to see? They're on the same side. That's all I need to know.

13. KidRob

KidRob TDPRI Member

It could not have been worse than the last Star Wars movie. You know, the one where the script writers couldn't come up with anything original so they cannibalized parts, scenes, and themes from the previous Star Wars movies? UNBELIEVABLE that movie made a like a gazillion dollars. It was bloody, plain and simple, AWFUL!! Jupiter Rising SLAYED it.

Deadpool was rated "R". FINALLY a Super Hero movie for ADULTS!! DEADPOOL ROCKS! And the Hugh Jackman jabs were hilarious!
    I'll probably go see the Doctor Strange movie when it comes out.

Batman v. Superman is probably a good movie - if you're 12 years old. I knew right away it was going to suck by the casting. Jesse Eisenburg as Lex Luthor? Are you freaking serious? Tell me how he is a better choice than Bryan Cranston (Walter White of Breaking Bad) who was actually interested in playing the part. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman? I would have made a new star by getting a virtually unknown actress to play that part. There were seriously better choices for that role. But hey, it's just a silly comic book - and with that cast - it really puts the comedy back in it because that cast is a joke.

14. Understateduncool

Understateduncool Tele-Meister

They tried to mash up The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman. They should have just left the latter out. The first half of the movie is all about setting up why they are going to fight each other and try to make it believable. The Dark Knight Returns did it much better and with a lot less effort. I wasn't thrilled with Jesse Eisenberg. I thought he'd be ok. I was wrong. Affleck and Gadot were fantastic, though. Maybe I'm just not a Zac Snyder fan. I wasn't a big fan of Man of Steel either. Wonderwoman is getting her own movie. This movie was kind of setting up the Justice league movie, where it appears Darkseid may be the villain. It was all just kind of meh, imo.

15. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

this movie was absolute garbage, and i advise anyone not to waste their money on it, not even for laughs, because there's nothing to laugh at.

i genuinely question the taste of anyone who enjoyed batman v superman.

16. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think Affleck read the reviews

17. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While I haven't seen it yet,I am planning to_One thing I have not liked about it from the beginning when the very first trailers started coming out is the armored batsuit,it makes this Batman look like Ironman with a cape.I grew up with comics and while Batman had all his gizmos and gadgets for crime fighting he never had to rip off a rival comic book hero's costume.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was way, way, far, worse. Not even in the same zip code. And actually, Gadot and Affleck were major highlights. Probably the only redeeming parts of this absolute pile of flaming monkey crap. And they weren't just good, they were fantastic. Jesse Eisenburg wasn't off the chain fabulous, but he brought something new to the character that I'm very interested in seeing develop further. Personally, I don't see Cranston pulling off this version of Luthor. He couldn't do it. And I say that as a huge fan of his.

If this were the Lex Luthor of old, then definitely. Yes. Without a doubt. But this isn't the same character.

19. Karl Pilkington

Karl Pilkington Tele-Meister

Today's least surprising fact announcement: Zack Snyder and Michael Bay both went to the same art school. Same program too. You should be ashamed of yourselves Art Center! Look what you've wrought!

Yeah the man is as subtle as a wet willy. He screwed up Watchmen, which should have precluded him from all future comic book movies, but instead he's directing the Justice League movie too.

I grew up with comics too, and it's obviously meant to be the batsuit from The Dark Knight Returns, when he fights Superman. So that exact batsuit for the explicit purpose of fighting Superman has been batcanon since 1986. This is not about the success of Marvel's film franchises relative to DC.
    [​IMG]

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Somehow when you had comic book to that statement, well, it just gives one the giggles. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.