1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bassman silverface

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BigCanuck, Jan 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BigCanuck

BigCanuck TDPRI Member

Seller has this as a 1968 bassman
    I have no reason to not believe him.
    It’s a 50 watt but the Bassman on the silver face looks like no other one I can find on reverb or google search. Most have a 50 underneath or the word amp. Any info ppl have on it would be great upload_2021-1-16_18-55-13.png

wildbill59 likes this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Yea that’s unusual. Any other pictures?

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Mine had different font, and a drip edge.

Grill cloth looks a bit off, might be the picture.

More shots?

4. Pcs264

Pcs264 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I'm suspicious. It's correct for a '68 not to have "50" on the faceplate; I think the later (1970s ?) Bassman 100 was the first to have a wattage number there. But a '68 faceplate definitely should say "BASSMAN AMP".

5. BigCanuck

BigCanuck TDPRI Member

upload_2021-1-16_19-36-6.png

6. BigCanuck

BigCanuck TDPRI Member

upload_2021-1-16_19-37-0.png
    That’s about it

7. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I found a picture of one like that on google , said it was a 1971 .

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I have a 1968 Bassman amp. It has an aluminum trim around the grill cloth (drip-edge) and it is labelled BASSMAN AMP in turquoise lettering.

I know the drip edge can be removed when changing/replacing the grill cloth. I can't explain the front plate lettering.

wildbill59 likes this.
  9. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's one on Reverb ...

10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Is it a '71?

11. AmpHandle

AmpHandle TDPRI Member

I vote 71-73'

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

The "R" was at the end of "Bassman " on 70s bassman 50s, 100s, etc. The word was higher on those.

I have no idea if that's original amp, but '67 to '69 AB165 bassman didn't have a faceplate with that exact lettering.

My '68 (that I should never have sold) had the -amp under bassman, no "r".

Grill seems changed. The cab.... does it say "bassman 50/100"? Can't tell. My cab was a pyramid cabinet from the 70s, 4×12. Said bassman 100 on the serial plate.

If it sounds good and it's a good price, cool. If you can't play before buying, no idea.

wildbill59 likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I think that amp’s front panel is legit for a vary early ‘70s amp. If considering purchase, there are other details to ascertain...transformer codes, serial number, and a look at the guts. Unless the price is really good one wants also to see the speakers. Yes, I am cautious when buying vintage Fenders....always.

wildbill59 likes this.
  14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

It does match the look of what are listed as 71 Bassmans on reverb. The back looks identical to my 68.

How much is it listed for? If you have a cabinet, you may consider passing on the stock one. They are HUGE and not really worth much.

wildbill59 likes this.
  15. Wally

That cab may have Oxford 12T6 speakers which have some value, imho and ime. In fact, I know of member here who is looking for some. They are low efficiency and function very well in a Twin Rever or .dual .showman IF someone wants to use the amp without blowing out windows. I would never separate the head from a cabinet if they belong together and have made it this far together.

wildbill59 likes this.
  16. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I understand that sentiment. I just found the cabinet to not sound that great and to be impractical because of the size. If there are valuable speakers it might be worth it, but I’ve seen local ads where people struggle to get rid of them for the price of a guitar pedal. I felt very lucky to sell mine to Guitar Center for $200.

I suppose if you have the space and like the sound my perspective doesn’t mean much. I just think an open back with something in the Greenback family sounds excellent with these heads.

wildbill59 and Wally like this.
  17. Wally

Hawk, I understand that aspect of these larger cabs...they are hard to sell. I have a rare intermediate sized Bassman cab from January, 1967. These were built for only 3-4 months before the larger second generation of ‘vertical’ Fender cabs came out with the new Sf cosmetics in April, 1967. This cab is loaded with OEM Jensen C12Ns. All codes on the speakers match with the written date for the build of the cab..that date is from the first week of ‘67. The C12Ns are from the last week of Nov, 1966 and have a Fender inventory date from the first week of Dec, 1966. This cab carries a serial number plate on the bottom. I would sell the cab for the value of the speakers...but no takers locally. I had a fellow in Idaho interested. The $150 shipping fee was a deterrent. This cab sounds fantastic. I hate to do it, but I will likely pull the speakers and junk the cab when I leave my business location. imho, Bass players need to trip to the fact that with guitarists using small amps a bass player cab run a smaller amp and a cab like this. I am in a minority on that one, though. Hey...I was in the minority too 25 years ago when I was advocating the use of smaller amps by guitarists.

wildbill59 likes this.
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

On their SF Bassman page Ampwares.com says, for what it's worth:

"Bassman ~ 1968-1971, Bassman 50 ~ 1972-1976, Bassman 70 ~ 1977-1983. Fender switched back to the blackface era cosmetics some time in 1980. Bassmans produced between late 1980 and 1983 have a black control panel and silver sparkle grill cloth."

Sidney Vicious and BigCanuck like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

68 should have the aluminum drip edge around the grill. Also should have the vertical black lines around the word "bassman". A 71 should have the "50" by the word Bassman. So not sure. Doesn't make a big difference either way though unless you are paying for a 68 drip edge for some reason.
    $500 amp head
    Wally's right, the big cab isn't worth much but the speakers in it may have value.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Why are the drip edge/blackline amps so coveted? Because the cosmetics were only in 68?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.