Bassman RI

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Crazy neddie, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Picked up an early 90's Bassman Reissue. What a great amp. Any fans round these parts? How do you guys like to run yours? So far I am really loving this amp with the volume about 1/3 up, great full edge of breakup tone that really takes a Tube Screamer nicely. So far so good.

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

When I had my old Bassman - it was one of the early models from about 1991 or so, I swapped the S/S rectifier for a 5U4 and tried different tubes. The biggest difference came from using a 12AY7 instead of 12AX7 in V1 position.

After a lot of swapping around of tubes I found a combination that worked for me as it reduced the overall volume so I could turn the amp up to 5-6 and get the same overall volume that I used to get when it was set on 3.

Hope you enjoy your amp.

3. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Care to share this combination of tubes? Inquiring minds want to know...:D

4. Del Pickup

I would love to but I sold the Bassman about 5 years ago and the tubes went with it. My old mind can't recall exactly what tubes they were but I do know that it sounded fantastic and way better than a newer Bassman LTD which was also in the shop at the time.

But, as with everything, what sounds good to my ears might not suit someone else so it really is a case of trying all sorts of options as far as tubes are concerned. I was lucky as the shop I took the amp to had a wide selection of NOS preamp tubes available and the guy in there was happy to spend the time playing around with them until we found the right combination that worked for me.

5. brockw

brockw TDPRI Member

I have a Bassman LTD, I replaced the 6L6's with Tung-Sol 5881's and replaced all the preamp tubes with Tung-Sol's. V1 12AT7 V2&3 12AX7. Since the swap the amp lost the ice pick brightness it once had. The head room has beeen lower but so has the overall volume. We're still honeymooning 1 year later, I can't get enough of the warm wooly tone. It's more of a Bassman now than it ever has been.

6. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

I highly recommend putting a 12ay7 in V1 and 12ax7 in V2 and V3 (vintage preamp). You may wanna consider a tube rectifier, but that's personal taste. I have a Bassman LTD with a 5R4 in the rec spot, but some folks like 5AR4/GZ34 there. The 5R4 allows me to run 5881 power tubes, which I think are sweeter than typical 6L6, but I wouldn't try that if you don't get the plate voltage down. If the speakers are blue, then I'd leave them alone. Those are great speakers.

The Bassman amps are my favorite Fender RI's.

7. Crazy neddie

This amp has a tube rectifier in it. I have lots of tubes laying around but I haven't had the urge to try anything new. I haven't even looked to see what tubes are in there except to note the tube rectifier. It does have the blue speakers and they sound awesome. I really dig this amp. It isn't harsh at all, very warm. I ended up picking up a Hardwire reverb pedal which sounds really great. Tried some other OD's with it and it takes a Catalinbread DLS 3 in SB mode well. And a Catalinbread SFT is super versatile and really brings the chime without getting too bright or harsh at all.

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned a '73 Bassman for a short time in the early 80's.
    Just a sweetheart of an amp.
    Times were tough and I HAD to sell it.
    6 months later I see it sitting in the local pawn shop. They wanted too much for it, someone else ended-up with it.
    Ah, the one that got away.

9. Crazy neddie

Still really loving this amp! Even without any reverb, it sounds 3D in a nice big room with hardwood floors. The clean sounds are top notch. Every OD I throw at it sounds great. My favorite thing about it, it sounds great at pretty much any setting. I find myself not tweaking knobs, just playing and soaking up the fat warmth of this amp.

10. Del Pickup

You've pretty well described every tweed amp I've ever played through! Bassman RI, Deluxe RI and 57 Twin RI. All beautiful and as for the settings it's almost a case of set and forget apart from the volume knob!

11. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

I grow to love my RI more every time I play it. It is the best purchase I think I've ever made. Just an amazing piece of kit that works great while being perfectly simple and an outstanding pedal platform. Just the right amount of power and air push.

12. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My limited experiences has always been that good tweed-styled amps sound just fine without reverb. So, in fact, does my 18-watt Marshall clone, so maybe it has to do with really simple circuits...anyway.

If you root around in the archives, you can find a thread regarding the use of 5Y3GT rectifiers in those RIs to lower voltages sufficiently to use 6V6GTs and the thoughts regarding the results.

13. Crazy neddie

Wow that sounds interesting. I'd be willing to try the 6v6's. I'm so satisfied with this amp, I haven't even seen what tubes are in it. I have plenty of tubes laying around but so far so good. My 68 super has CTS Alnicos and two recently became separated so I need to decide on some replacement speakers. The CTS have already been reconed once and they just aren't holding up. They sound great but I need something that sounds as close to the CtS but more reliable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.