Bassman power transformer question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fast960, Dec 15, 2019.

1. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

Hello, I've sourced a Mercury transformer that says its for a boutique bassman 50 watt amp. They say it would get a 430v B+ voltage. It has 168-0-168 secondaries ..... how do I wire this for proper voltage?

Attached Files:

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

In accordance with your diagram, the only way to obtain 430VDC is to use the Blue and Grey taps to obtain 168+168=336VAC, to be rectified by a rectifier bridge. You don't use the center tap (Yellow).

-tbln

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Which Bassman are you trying to build?
    Off the top of my head those voltages seem too low for any of the normally cloned ones like the last tweed, or any of the brown or blackfaces.
    Plus no 5v winding for the tube rectifier ones and what's with that 12 volt winding?

4. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

Thank-you! I'm building a bassman/jtm45 type amp .... it doesn't have to be exact and I'm not using a tube rectifier ....

5. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

if I use this wired for 338v does my 300ma current change to 150ma?

6. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

also, could the 14v winding be configured for a tube rectifier if I changed plans and decide to use one? GZ34?

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would talk to the folks at MM...they are very helpful, imho, when discussing their products.
    It seems that the voltage will be high for the circuits that you are saying you are wanting to build.....if I understand what to expect. But perhaps not.
    That 14vac winding Resembles a circuit for power to some solid state circuit functions, imho.

BobbyZ, Teleguy61 and Snfoilhat like this.
  8. fast960

fast960 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys ... I did speak to MM and they said what you confirmed. No rectifier tube and not to use centertap for 338v. This was one of their "Y" stock ebay transformers so its a bit unorthodox. Thanks again for your quick and right on responses! Cheers

BobbyZ and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.