1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bassman Pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by b2187101, Feb 10, 2021.

1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

A follow up question to: does the super champ do bassman well? Concensus, pretty much, not so well.

Does the Bassman Pedal, through a Vox or Marshall, do Bassman well?

I occasionally want the Bassman sound, but not enough to spend for the actual amp.

Thanks

2. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

A Bassman pedal is probably a dirt pedal that is EQ’d to bring any amp it’s plugged into to sound more Bassman-like. Maybe I’m wrong.

if you plug a Bassman pedal into your Champ and do a side-by-side comparison with a real, hand-wired tweed Bassman, will you get the same beautiful, fierce, majestic sound from both? Not even close. However, the pedal might still be fun, if you like the sound that’s coming out of it.

3. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Love my Catalinbread 5F6 pedal (with Secret Lead on). It turns my PRRI into a completely different animal. Phat!

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As with @darkwaters , I too run my CB 5F6 to breath in some Bassman into a few of my amps.

darkwaters likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Ok, yep, another satisfied Catalinbread 5F6 user; I run it into a BF Tremolux head with a 2X10 cab, and I like the sound very much. Bought the pedal used off of Reverb. It stays on the pedalboard.

You can adjust the gain to suit your taste and as mentioned it's got an "inside the box" switch (Secret Lead") for more options.

But there's also plenty of other tweed-style pedals.

AFAIK, the Super Champ versions are a 1X10 combo and maybe it's a stretch to think a single 10 can do the work of four? Might depend if you are looking for just a similar sound versus the total feel experience, the wind in your jeans thing...

I haven't read through your previous thread on your Super Champ - I guess there's a line out, which you could run to another amp, I guess, and go for bigger sound that way. I understand the SC also comes as a head with an actual speaker out @8ohms so that's a little different.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    northernguitar and darkwaters like this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

The Joyo (Harley Benton) American Sound does a reasonable Bassman impersonation. Set controls to:

Low/Middle/High to (approx 12:00-- tweak as necessary)
    For Level: 3:00, Voice: 7:00, Drive: 9:00

7. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I already had a Joyo AS ( Great pedal! ) , so I really debated the 5F6, but I'm glad I got it (used). Part of my justification was wanting a back up for the AS. ( I've already had to do some minor surgery on the switch. ) The other justification was my prior ownership of a Boss FBM-1 that I sold some years ago. Now they go for silly money. :eek:

PhredE and northernguitar like this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I've owned a '59 Bassman RI and the Fender FBM-1 pedal.

The joy of a bassman is the amount of air those 4x10"s push at you when its cooking - even at lower volumes its special - thats the part of the recipe thats very hard for a pedal to replicate, even if it does get the signal sauce right.

I think the FBM-1 did a really good job at the bassman sound. I would expect the Catalinbread pedal to do a better job, but I never had their version to try.

9. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I've got the FBM1 and like it with my Silverface Princeton non-verb, especially when I'm using my PRRI at the same time as a two-amp rig; good contrast of eq and tone between the two. I use it clean into the bright input--more of a "sonic monosodium glutamate" pedal than for dirt.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Just checking are these clock settings or 1 to 10 dial settings thanks

PhredE likes this.
  11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Consider buying or building an open-back 4x10" cab.

A single-ended 6V6 amp can really sound like a lot thru a bigger cabinet. (To say nothing about push-pull 6L6 amps)

12. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, busy dealing with other stuff..

Answer: clock positions. I should have specified that before.
    Also, just so other folks know..

The travel for each of the pots in the pedal runs approx: 7:00-5:00 (Min-Max)
    So, the main thing is the Voice setting I mentioned above needs to be set to Min. and that the Level be up fairly high near Max, or so and that Drive be kept down fairly low also.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Will have to try those settings as I did not think of the Level knob as playing into actual tone-shaping, but just as a ' Volume control' to use, set pretty much to unity of my amp.

In other words, I will turn my 'host amp's or say PA channel pretty low first ( if AS Level is way UP) then bring it up as needed...
    Not a fan of Drive past 9 either, but I had Voice knob higher than you, as I thought it sounded good- But my Level was say 10 or 11 clock, not way up

So will revisit!

PhredE likes this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

And another. Instant Tweed goodness. Does everything from blues to crunchy Stones, Cinnamon Girl, ZZ Top.

darkwaters and teletimetx like this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

That's one of the AS terrific qualities. The controls are fantastically interactive and powerful.
    Turning the Voice up (12:00 or so) will tend to bump your sound into Tweed(s) territory. I tend to keep Drive down as I like a big, clean tone no matter whether it falls toward Bassman (super-scooped) or a bit closer to Twin tones. I leave Gain and Level more or less fixed, and then tweak Voice setting within a small range down low near minimum. The Joyo ACTone is kinda similar, but is much trickier to dial in good tones by my experience (still pretty useful for many I imagine).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.