1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bassman Micro LTP master volume not working properly

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dantahoua, Sep 27, 2020.

1. dantahoua

dantahoua TDPRI Member

Hello!
    I just finished the Bassman Micro LTP from Robrob. Great amp.

First problem I had was squeal when master-volume pot was past noon and the Presence pot was working reverse. So after searching this forum I found it seems to been a non negative feedback problem so I reverse the two wire going to the OT and now the amp sounds perfect!!! No squeal, no hiss. :)

Note that I did not found any 47pF capacitor in my stock so I did not put the "stability cap".

The only "problem" I have now, the master volume pot seems to be not effective. It goes from no sound to full sound directly with a pinch of a turn. I double check the value and the taper, everything seems ok. Not a big issue but maybe someone could enlight me on this and maybe it's because of another problem in the amp...

sds1 likes this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Seems pretty straight forward. Just to reaffirm... using your meter, the sweep (the side of the pot you are using) of the MV pot does not *jump* in value as it is turned?

Send some gut shots of the MV part of the circuit please.

sds1 likes this.
  3. dantahoua

dantahoua TDPRI Member

The pot does not jump, I tested it...
    The master volume is the pot near the hole on the pic. It's very simple, so that's why I do not understand why it do not work as it should!

Attached Files:

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I don't see anything out of place. Is it possible the two 82k grid leak resistors are not grounded? Clip in a jumper from their junction to ground just to be sure.

5. dantahoua

dantahoua TDPRI Member

Yes they are from under the board... Not such a big deal, but you know how it is... We always want it to be the most perfect as possible... ;)

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  6. andrewRneumann

andrewRneumann Tele-Holic

What resistance does that MV pot show when you have the knob at 50% rotation?

7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I have used the same "crossline" MV in my build and it also worked exactly the same. I have tried this MV in several amplifiers and it always seems to act this way.

andrewRneumann likes this.
  8. andrewRneumann

I think @Tom Kamphuys also had this problem on his last build. Ended up pulling out the post-PI MV.

dan40 likes this.
  9. andrewRneumann

Assuming everything else is right, try temporarily lifting one end of the NFB resistor (to remove NFB) and see if the Post-PIMV plays nice. I’ve begun to think there shouldn’t be any volume controls in a feedback loop, but that’s me and my limited experience.

dan40 likes this.
  10. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

It seems like this particular type of MV will work perfectly well in some circuits but in every amp I have tried them in they seem to act more like an on/off switch.

11. dantahoua

dantahoua TDPRI Member

So if I understand this problem is recurrent with this design! Anyway, I forgot to make a hole for a master volume on my build, so i'll just remove it, simple as that. (there was two additional hole for another gain and another volume, I wanted to make kind of two channel, but finally I prefer the simpler one channel!).

12. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

I had a problem with the post PIMV in a jcm800. That is a different beast as the original design has a pre PIMV which limits the signal going into the ltp. My ltp was clipping all the time. (If I recall correctly). Multiple (if not all) builders had the same problem and the post PIMV has been replaced by a pre PIMV by Rob.

A bassman normally has no pre PIMV and the signal going into the ltp is lower by design. I think my jcm800 problem should not exist here.

I'll reread my own thread and see whether I can remember some more.

robrob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.