Bassman Micro filter cap alternative values?

joulupukki

Tele-Meister
I’m trying to source components for a RobRobinette Bassman Micro amp and running into trouble getting quality caps from the same distributor (wanna not have to pay a bunch of shipping from multiple places).

The schematic and build sheet on his web page calls for two 47uF 450V and one 8uF 450V filter capacitors. I’m wondering if I could use 4x 22uF 500V F&T (2 sets of 2 in parallel for a total of 44uF on each) and an 10uF 500V F&T. Would this work or would I need to also change other components to adjust for that change?

Also, I’m still undecided whether to move forward with this. I’ve got parts in a cart from mouser.com and tubedepot.com and with shipping all the components are already adding up over $500. Eek!

Last edited:

joulupukki

Tele-Meister
Those values would be fine, but it would take more space. I guess for the four you could kind of bundle them.
Ah, right. I’ll have to check on the space measurements. I’ll be drilling for and placing my own turrets so I could adjust the layout a little bit if needed. Thank you for answering.

sds1

Friend of Leo's
True. I guess it depends on the brand. They TD has IC.
Actually I thought they had F&T as well but I didn't click thru to see it wasn't in stock.

Tube Depot has a 40uF/500V Sprague Atom -- 40uF is within the -20% tolerance of 47uF.

I wouldn't personally shy away from the IC's under the circumstances (current availability and your budget). I realize they aren't "cool" and don't usually select IC, but I also think the chatter of them being an inferior capacitor is overhyped.

Mouser has the IC's for about the same price.

joulupukki

Tele-Meister
Well, I've got the entire project (everything but the lumber and tolex for the head, which I already have) down to $499.10. Two of the sites are free shipping because I tipped over $100. It's about double the price of what I had pictured it being.