Bassman 5F6A Build Issues

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Guitarnut, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Hello all, I'm building my 2nd 5F6A Bassman from the kit that Dave at Boothill sells. I sourced my transformers from Classic Tone. I have everything wired and was testing voltages when I ran into a few issues.

1. The bias tap shows 50.2 volts on the diode's cathode but only .4 volts on the anode. I've tried several diodes, flipping it around...no change in any of these scenarios. The tap when removed from the circuit meters fine just like at the cathode.

2. The heater taps off the transformer are lighting the jewel but meter at 95V!!! Also, they meter the same at the sockets. I removed the heater wires, and it lights the jewel but still shows the same voltage. Took the wires off the lamp and still way too high. I know during pre-install metering, they showed 6.3V.

I've been over my wiring and the circuit layout at least 10 times. I'm using a dim bulb tester thru the entire build so I don't think I shorted anything out. This is making me crazy, I can't figure out the bias and why the lamp doesn't blow at 95V is odd. I thought they were 6V lamps. I don't have any pics at the moment but will post some later.

Any advice for trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
    Mark

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The bias voltage at the output end of the diode must be a negative voltage. Check the entire bias circuit including the 220k power tube grid leaks, something might be shorting to ground and giving you a very low output voltage.

Are you measuring your 6.3v heater wires wire-to-wire? You should be. Do you have a 6.3v center tap or artificial center tap?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Are you setting your meter to DC when measuring the anode side of the diode?

King Fan likes this.
  4. robrob

Great question Dan.

dan40 likes this.
  5. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

Also be sure to check the batteries in the meter. It's not unusual to see weird readings with a low battery,

clintj likes this.
  6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Quick check that's saved a few people before as well: measure something known, like a battery, with your meter. I keep a 9V taped to my chassis cradle for a reference voltage.

7. Guitarnut

Thanks. I have a 6.3v center tap and was measuring wire to chassis. I removed the heater circuit going to the sockets and checked wire to wire...6.4v. Gotta check my wiring at the sockets.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. Guitarnut

Bingo!!! Something so simple and I completely spaced that the diode is a rectifier. I'm getting a small voltage drop and healthy neg VDC now...guess I was all along. Thanks!

dan40 likes this.
  9. robrob

Make sure your 6.3v center tap is secure. If it isn't connected to ground you can see crazy voltages like you got measuring from the pilot light terminals to ground.

If your 6.3v transformer wires are still disconnected you can pull all the tubes and just check for continuity between the beginning of the heater wires to each socket heater pin. Also make sure you don't have continuity between the 6.3v wires and ground.

10. Guitarnut

Thanks! I removed the crimp on connector from the CT and soldered it to the ground bus. All seems fine now. I'll also check for continuity as you suggested. I can check adjoining pins as well.

Peace,
    Mark

11. Guitarnut

A side note...I received a notice of the first reply to this thread but nothing since and I have been back between postings. Is this a common glitch. I used to get flooded with replies back in the day.

Peace,
    Mark

12. Guitarnut

Duplicate...deleted.

13. Guitarnut

Thanks. New batteries. I don't build that many amps so I always start with fresh batteries on each build. Cheap insurance.

Peace,
    Mark

dan40 likes this.
  14. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Did you turn on notifications when you first posted? I sometimes forget to.

15. Guitarnut

Yep. I received the first reply like I mentioned above. Nothing since. I didn't get notified that you posted this question.

Peace,
    Mark

16. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is the amp up and running right now? The Boothill 5F6A I put together a few weeks ago is pretty incredible. Took me a bit to get the bias right on power tubes, but it is just about a perfect amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.