Bassman 2x12 cab - need help identifying

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Originofspecies, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Originofspecies

Originofspecies TDPRI Member

I have a question regarding a pair of Bassman 2x12 cabinets that I recently agreed to purchase. They were advertised as 'Fender Bassman with 2x12 Utahs from 1974'.

They are currently sitting with the shipper awaiting pick-up, and when I stopped by to get them, I immediately noticed that the dimensions looked off. They were shipped with only a piece of cardboard taped over the front grills so I was able to inspect the cabs.

The tolex is Fender correct, the rear panels look correct with the right screw configuration & screw count, the input jacks are in the correct place, handles have been removed and a non-Fender handle is attached on the side. Only 1 cab has an ID plate, 'Bassman 100', which is correctly positioned. The baffles appear to have been replaced as the speakers are offset. I measured the cabs and they are both 30.5" x 17.3" x 20.5". The center to center spacing on the thumb screw inserts is 25". Based on the measurements alone, there are several things that are off. Did Fender ever make a cab in this size? Or did someone put a lot of time into making a clone?

I'm no bassman expert so I'm hoping that the knowledgeable crew here can assist.

Will post photos in just a bit.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those Measurements do not match any Bassman cab listed here. I will do further research...but a depth of 17” is an odd number, ime.
    http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/contents.html

I do notice that there is one 17” deep cab for the Bassman 100/135 amp. I am thinking that is was the odd cab that had 4x12’s set at angles. It was, however, taller than the cabs you are looking at.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

17" is definitely not a normal bassman guitar cab type. Should be 11.5-12 .
    The Bassman 100 had a weird deep cab though, supposedly 17" deep. If you are truly going to play bass through it, that's a plus!

4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Fender produced a "transition" cabinet that fell between the Brown Bassman size and what would become the Blackface standard size. They were only produced for a matter of months when Fender decided to make them bigger to improve bass response. I found this out as I too came upon a 2-12" cab that did not fit any known size. A search of the Fender forum produced a conversation about these cabs. I cannot recall the dimensions and I no longer have the cab to check but maybe this is what you have?

5. Wally

Tomm, I have such a cab. They were produced for about 3-4 months at the beginning of 1967. This cab measures
    39”h x 26”w x 11 1/2”d. It has its original Jensen C12N’s dated to the last week of Nov, 1966 with a factory inventory number from the first week of Dec, 1966. The cab has a build date of the first week oh Jan, 1967.....and it is a great sounding cab. When the SF cosmetics were introduced in April, 1967; the second ‘upright’ cab was introduced whims was a bit taller and wider than this ‘intermediate’ cab.....40 x 29 1/2 x 11 1/2.

okay...from The Teagle&Sprung book. There was a cab introduced in 1972 that was 17” deep. However, it should measure 40 1/4”h x 30 1/4”w x 17”d; and it housed 4 x 12” speakers.

Tomm Williams likes this.
  6. Originofspecies

7. Originofspecies

I posted a few photos, however, they are still awaiting moderator approval.

In any case, thanks for the help thus far.

Wally likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I do remember one for the 100 or 135, it was roughly square and had 2x15" placed diagonally.

9. Wally

the 2x15 for the Super Bassman, which was the first 100 watt Bassman, measured 45 1/2 x 30 x 11 1/2.

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I am measuring my Bassman cab and getting 31.5", w 20" more or less h and 11.25" d
    The head has a serial# that decodes to january 1967

11. Wally

Origin, is this one of your photos?
    8C82D03E-FB5F-406E-8A9E-F5D4E5925C64.jpeg

if so, imho, that is not a Fender cab from the 1970’s...and I am not sure that it is a Fender cab at all.
    The depth simply does not agree with anything I can find with measurements close to the other two.
    and, the grille attachment method does not agree with any Fender cab with anything close to the other two measurements. The closest measurements to your 30.5 x 20.5 is the Blonde 1 x 12 cabs that sat under the 1 x 12 Blonde Bassman and Bandmasters....but their depth was 11.5. And..they had one piece baffle/grille boards.
    you have a couple of oddities there, and I don’t know what they are. Have you opened them up to see if there are any factory dates inside the cab?

another odd thing is that the mounting for the logo is proper for a small cab from prior to 1967, but there are ‘feet’ placed on what would be the side of such cabs?.....they can be seen on the fight side of these cabs. For a cab that stood with the long measurement the vertical, the logo would be in the upper left. The logo is not oriented correctly for any cab. It is I; the correct corner for a ‘horizontal’ cab from pre-1867, but the angle at which it is placed is incorrect.
    Regardless of the origins of these cabs, they did not leave a Fender factory in the condition they are in.....and I would have to be convinced by some stronger evidence that they are indeed Fender cabs. have you pulled the speakers to see what is there? And...the speaker mounting is incorrect for a Fender, ime. They would not be front-mounted.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    jimash likes this.
  12. Wally

the serial number lists have only one problem ime. That would be that the cusps of the years are the only time when those serial numbers can be suspect. I have found discrepancies when dating such ‘cusp’ amps. Are there any dates inside...handwritten factory build dates? If that small horizontal cab left the factory in Jan, 1967; it was a late bloomer during the transition period for the smaller horizontal cab to the larger upright/vertical cabs.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Actually it seems to be for the Bassman 50 what I was referring to
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    although I'm pretty sure I saw it paired with a 100 or 135 a couple of decades ago, I was going to buy it to play bass through it. I decided against it because it wasn't that light or cheap even back then.

SheldonP and Wally like this.
  14. Wally

For grins...here is my intermediate BF Bassman cab built in the first week oF 1967. The Bandmaster cabs were a bit wider.

459DB5C4-2DCE-4850-8DD3-F2B8EFC0DBEA.jpeg

jimash likes this.
  15. Wally

my apologies. I misread the book. That indeed was used with the Bassman 50...circa 1972. The Super Bassma; had been disc9ntinued. this is when the Bassman 100 was introduced with the one cab I have found that was 17” deep...but as I noted earlier, that Bassman 100 cab was 40 1/4”h x 30 1/4”w...and 17” deep.

radiocaster likes this.
  16. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Another vote for "not a Fender"

jimash likes this.
  17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The OP said one cab had an I.D. plate saying it was a Bassman 100 cab, that era had a lot of non-standard sized cabs (compared to earlier Fenders). I'm pretty sure that is what it is. All the other cabs being mentioned don't apply as it says it's a Bassman 100 model.
    Al

18. Wally

Maybe...but if so, then it is so rare that it is not in any of the literature. And......there are so many oddities about it that much doubt would have to be eliminated, imho. I have noted the ONLY Fender cab I have found that has a depth of 17”, and it is nothing like the ones the OP has there. That is why IF I had the cabs, I would already have the back panel off.
    Color me curious....

19. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - seeing the inside construction would help immensely.

20. Originofspecies

Thanks gents for all of your help! Wally, yes that is the pair of cabs in question. To have a look at the insides, I'd have to pay the fee for admission to retrieve them from the shipper. Roughly $300 each including shipping.

That's partially how this started, other than the visual discrepancies, is that the cabs were much wider than expected to fit side by side in the back of my car.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.