Bassist getting a new start with a tele

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
Hi folks! I'm Tim, and I'm a university professor living in Seattle, WA. I've been playing bass on and off for the last 17 years. I play mostly as a hobby, for the sake of my own mental health.

I've been wanting to play guitar for a long, long time. About 10 years ago, I bought an MIJ strat with a floating trem because it seemed like a good deal, and a lot of fun. It turned out to be long drain on my time and patience. The posts for the trem ripped out the wood, the screw holes in the trem's baseplate stripped out, and so the guitar has been unplayable without extensive repairs for quite some time.

This year, I decided that I need to learn guitar, no more obstacles, no more nonsense. I've always liked the simplicity of Esquires, so I settled on the even simpler Noventa Tele. It should be here next week. So, now I finally have an excuse to be here on TDPRI!
Welcome. Good choice in guitars. That one will take you past the learning stage and beyond.

keyofnight

TDPRI Member
welcome aboard!

No wonder the strat tremolo died, it has the wrong bridge. ;)
God, don't I know it. I should've known better.

Welcome. Good choice in guitars. That one will take you past the learning stage and beyond.
Thanks! I'm hoping so. I don't like buying instruments that are too similar to one another, so I don't really think I will get another electric guitar unless it is substantially different. I am much more likely to invest in a classical guitar.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
welcome aboard!

No wonder the strat tremolo died, it has the wrong bridge. ;)

I built a Strat a few years ago that had an AMS bridge, a corian nut, and a Canary neck. I don't know what specific part or combinations of parts just killed the tone of that thing, but it was terrible. Absolutlely, dead acoustically.

keyofnight

TDPRI Member
And here it is, folks. This tele is beautiful. It has a natural resonance / brightness to it, to the point where it rings out unplugged. The details are good too: the fretwork is good, the nut is well-dressed, and the finish is great. Considering I didn't get the chance to play it before buying it, I definitely got lucky.

Now I need to name it. 👀

Attachments

• 937A03AD-4339-4DB4-B6D5-8BDFE2B21251.jpeg
    937A03AD-4339-4DB4-B6D5-8BDFE2B21251.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 9
  • 7C921237-B31C-4188-A526-42D5638891BB.jpeg
    7C921237-B31C-4188-A526-42D5638891BB.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 8

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
So, now I finally have an excuse to be here on TDPRI!
Are you kidding? No excuse needed. You are so much more than welcome. I think you made a great selection to match the description of what you were wanting. A simple build with no extras that delivers excellent guitar tones to a player that doesn't have the time or inclination to mess around with functionality additions to the learning curve. Something that sounds great and allows the player to focus strictly on building a relationship between themself and their instrument. Some of the very best guitarists made the same choice. Because it removed all the extraneous additions to the learning curve it allowed them to develop a deeper understanding and mesh the mechanics between player and instrument. That one on one between you and your instrument can't be taught. It's learned exactly the way you're doing it.