Bassbreaker FSR 15 question

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member
So I recently took a bassreaker 15 off of a friends hands It is the FEnder Special Reserve in Blonde which has the G12H speaker. I opened up the back to have a look and it’s in great shape except for the fact that one of the power tubes is actually in contact with the magnet of the speaker. This doesn’t seem like a good thing to me although the amp sounds pretty damn good.
2DC56011-C8DA-4958-A04C-B65EB0CF374C.jpeg
7C011B99-08A2-4C0F-B814-CE9496C8137F.jpeg
8C739712-96CE-4091-9287-3AC211217A6D.jpeg

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I have a BB15 and it’s pretty damned tight in there. I wanted to try an Eminence Reignmaker or vintage alnico in mine, but there was NO way.

Oh well, that’s what separate speaker cabs are for right?

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
HNAD! I've wondered about the Bassbreaker 15. It looked like a good design to me.

I tend to use neodymium speakers in my tube amps, for the reduced weight. They have the added benefit of a smaller magnet.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I feel like cloth in there would be a bad idea with the heat?
I am not sure. I would guess that the magnet acts as a big heat sink. Mind you, I was thinking cotton, not a synthetic. 100% Cotton is approved for wearing when doing electrical work where there is a hazard of an arc flash which can light your cloths on fire. While it is not hot enough to light synthetics on g\fire I think over time it may cause them to crumble. The best thing would be to test any material before leaving it permanently.

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been looking at other speakers with different dimensions on the magnets but the G12 is a solid speaker. I have an extra vintage 30 hanging around but I measured that one and it’s almost exactly the same as the G 12. If I remove the spring support for that tube it gives me about an eighth of an inch of clearance since the spring support is what was in contact with the magnet. This is my first fender tube amp so are the spring supports part of the fender design in general? I’ve had a couple of other makes and none of them had the spring supports or the shrouds on the preamp tubes.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been looking at other speakers with different dimensions on the magnets but the G12 is a solid speaker. I have an extra vintage 30 hanging around but I measured that one and it’s almost exactly the same as the G 12. If I remove the spring support for that tube it gives me about an eighth of an inch of clearance since the spring support is what was in contact with the magnet. This is my first fender tube amp so are the spring supports part of the fender design in general? I’ve had a couple of other makes and none of them had the spring supports or the shrouds on the preamp tubes.

I was actually pretty happy with the V Type speaker even though I’m more of a Eminence fan. I wanted to be able to adjust the volume with the Reignmaker’s FDM technology.

I have the EMI in a Bassbreaker 112 extension cabinet. It allows me to make the amp louder or quieter than stock, and I like the sound of it as well.

The Reignmaker can be adjusted from 92.5 - 98.7 dB sensitivity.

The V Type is 98 dB sensitivity.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
There's no problem magnetically or electrically, but the vibration can't be doing that tube any good. Did Fender produce those or was it a Sweetwater conversion?

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member
Maybe a chunk of one of these?
Lol You’ve got to be kidding me I was just looking through my pipe soldering equipment to see if I still had one of those!

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
If it is just the spring support I would not worry about it.

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member
There's no problem magnetically or electrically, but the vibration can't be doing that tube any good. Did Fender produce those or was it a Sweetwater conversion?
So those tubes are straight from the Fender factory via guitar center. The receipt says 2/19/18 so that tube has been up against that magnet for basically 4 years! I can’t hear anything that sounds off to me in either a clean or gained up setting. I’m tempted to just remove the spring support and see if there’s any difference. That would give about 1/8 in clearance from the mag to the tube. The spring and bracket are what is contacting the magnet and the tube. I honestly doubt that the tube would ever fall out of the socket without the spring/support.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The contact is a little worrying, as is in the photograph, the valve appears to being canted out of the socket. There's bare pin and an uneven gap twixt valve base and socket. Neither of which are too much of an issue, but I'd wonder about loads being applied to the socket by spring retainer and any effect that'd have on the longevity of the socket and solder joints.
The valve isn't likely to fall out without the retainer, but both messrs Sod & Murphy will enforce the law at the least opportune moment.

Have a look at the retaining bar used on the Pro Jr and maybe make something up along those lines?

Having the valve contact the speaker -may- reduce the life of the valve. Some valves cope with vibration better than others.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
So those tubes are straight from the Fender factory via guitar center. The receipt says 2/19/18 so that tube has been up against that magnet for basically 4 years! I can’t hear anything that sounds off to me in either a clean or gained up setting. I’m tempted to just remove the spring support and see if there’s any difference. That would give about 1/8 in clearance from the mag to the tube. The spring and bracket are what is contacting the magnet and the tube. I honestly doubt that the tube would ever fall out of the socket without the spring/support.
The stray magnetic flux from the speaker will not do anything to the tube, the vibration right next to the tube was a little of a concern. If the tube is not pinned directly against the speaker the vibration off of it will not shorten the life of the tube. I would not worry about it.

Jackplate75

TDPRI Member
The contact is a little worrying, as is in the photograph, the valve appears to being canted out of the socket., but I'd wonder about loads being applied to the socket by spring retainer and any effect that'd have on the longevity of the socket and solder joints.
The valve isn't likely to fall out without the retainer, but both messrs Sod & Murphy will enforce the law at the least opportune moment.

Have a look at the retaining bar used on the Pro Jr and maybe make something up along those lines?

Having the valve contact the speaker -may- reduce the life of the valve. Some valves cope with vibration better than others.
Thanks for the reference on pro Junior. I do a fair amount of metal fab on the side so that’ll be a nice little project.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Don't have a suggestions - an observation - your tube is not sitting tight in the socket.