BASSBREAKER 15 vs VOX AC10?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Dec 5, 2019.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Before telling me “they are completely different animals,” assume I am aware of this. Let’s get into it...

B14A5FDA-3583-4207-BB56-B2DB3BA7A22B.jpeg 013445DD-C480-49A0-950D-980C5E8C4C3A.jpeg

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I had a BB when they came out . Grew to absolutely loathe it. If there weren't other cars in my parking lot all the time it would have gotten launched off the third floor.

It was one with the noisy EFX loop and Fender kept feeding me BS about replacement parts. The volume differences between the 3 channels was jarring after awhile and no footswitch either. It really needed more R/D before it hit the market

The Vox may be your better choice here

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm seriously considering an AC10, they are tone machines. My AC15C2 is good, but the 10 I played recently was the shizbit

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I don’t know if the 10 is the same as the 15 does it have a master volume?

My 15 has a master volume and I can’t get my pedals as loud as my amp , only a problem if you use a lot of pedals and may only be a ac15 problem just thought I’d throw it out there

It’s great as a plug and play

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

A better question is - what do you intend to use it for? If home use the AC10 is a no-brainer. For pop and indie it's got that bright poppy vibe. It's inbuilt attenuation makes it handy for home use and it seems reliable by the lack of 'blowup' threads.

If gigging - it really depends. The Vox is bright, the BB is darker/ noisier and has 'more sounds'. Good or bad? Up to you. The BB will undoubtedly live with a band - the Vox - maybe.

6. BeatlesAreMyJam

It seems like the AC15 would be a more appropriate comparison to the BASSBREAKER 15. But AC10 is very portable. So is the BB. And the BB15 has a **** ton of sounds. Is it digital in any way?? It seems like it must be. If BB owner could educate us on this.

Small clubs and studio use. Yes the Vox has a master volume.

Another comparison might be the BB versus the Blues Junior. I’ve owned many Blues Juniors. Without getting into a lengthy discussion of that amp’s strengths and weaknesses, I think it’s a great value. But after checking out the BB today I don’t see how you could choose a BJ as the BB is about 1000 times more versatile...

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Vox. If you were going fender I would look at a blues jr, super champ, or step up to a Princeton.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. BeatlesAreMyJam

What don’t you like about the BASSBREAKER series?

9. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

the bassbreaker 15 is five more than the vox ac10...

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

They feel kinda cheap to me. Common noise issues. There are just so many Fender or fenderesque options out there that are solid and proven I can’t quite get excited about them.

11. BeatlesAreMyJam

And one louder...

12. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

AC10 looks cooler...

Mark the Moose likes this.
  13. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

To my knowledge, the only solid state/digital components to the amp should be the Rectifier and the reverb.

14. BeatlesAreMyJam

If this is true then I gotta say, based on my brief audition today, warts and all, at $650 it’s gotta be one of the bargains of the century.

And I think it looks badass...

15. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

It is a pretty cool amp. It has its quarks though. Build Quality is not always great. Board mounted tube sockets. the Gain structures are not foot switchable, and there is a large volume jump/disparity between them. So its not really a channel switching amp, as much as a "I prefer this sound" Set it, and forget it. Some of them have bad FX loops.

Alternatively though, they kinda do that Marshall thing pretty well...

My favorite of the breaker series was the 7w head. Crank it up, hit the bright switch, and put it into some vintage celestion ... It made the perfect low wattage plexi.

16. BeatlesAreMyJam

Looking into the back of the amp I played today I saw that it comes with a “Celestion” speaker stock. I don’t know if this a legitimate Celestion or just some random speaker with a Celestion label. Anyone know?

17. Dacious

There are Celestions and Celestions. What else does it say, and what colour?

18. BeatlesAreMyJam

Just looked it up. It’s a G12V-70. It has a black and white label. Never heard of it myself. Sounded fine to me but I only had a little time with it...

19. Dacious

Ok - the V-70 is a neutral sounding speaker and quite efficient.

The Vox has a VX10 that seems to match the amp well.

There'll likely be a big volume difference - the V-70 is a 98db vs 95db @1m/spl.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I haven't played the AC10, but I own a Bassbreaker 15.

15W combo amps (or thereabout – I include my Princetons) have been my main amps for most of my guitar playing life. I have an all original (except speaker re-cone in the '90s) '68 Princeton Reverb and a '94 Ampeg J-12T that have been my main amps for decades. That wattage just feels right to me for most things.

Even so, the BB15 spoke to me. I tried every type of BB in the line, and the 15 was the only one I thought was a really good amp.

It has a lot the stuff I like about the Princeton and the Ampeg, but more modern features (effects loop, master volume, midtone e.q. knob), for those times I might need them. And it means I can do without hauling a 50+ year old amp and/or a 25 year old amp to gigs all the time.

One thing, though. It lives up to its name. It has WAAAAAAAAY more bass e.q. than I would ever use. I keep the bass knob no higher than 1/3 of the way up, even on the lowest gain setting with vintage style single coils. And I usually need to engage the bright switch with humbuckers.

I have yet to try a graphic e.q. in the effects loop, but I think it would do a ton of good for the amp. I could just run the amp's controls flat and use the graphic e.q. to shape the tone.

I do terribly miss onboard tremolo vs. the other two amps. And the included reverb definitely sounds digital...though it's not a horrible sound, and I am getting used to it. Also, it's not as loud as the Ampeg, anecdotally.

I want to get the matching extension cab. I think it would improve the amp, making it sound great instead of just really good. But I have one gripe about the extension that is holding me back from getting it: It's not as deep as the combo! How does that make any sense, if the obvious way that people would want to use the extension cab is with the combo stacked on top of it?

Summary: I like the way it sounds. I like finally having something that can get sort of in the same tonal and responsiveness ballpark as my Princeton and Ampeg, but with a couple of helpful modern features, and without being so precious, as the other two amps get older and older. The price was right ($585 delivered for Sweetwater "demo" model). No issues so far. It will not replace the Princeton and the Ampeg by any means, but it has its place for me. Over all grade from me is a solid B. If it had tremolo and a spring reverb, it'd get an A. If the extension cab was the same depth as the combo cab, the whole system would get an A+. Impressive for $650 retail price. If you can find it like-new used for less, even better.

I hear the 30 is basically just the higher powered version of the 15, and it has me REALLY interested.

P.S. FWIW, I don't ever use anything but the lowest gain mode; the others are excessive, to say the least. And no, it's not designed to have gain modes switched mid song. I have no interest in it for that purpose anyhow, so I don't care about that. Don't get it looking for a channel switching amp, and you won't be disappointed in that regard.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    BeatlesAreMyJam and dswo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.