1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarist232345, Jun 3, 2020.

1. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

My friend is selling his BB007 and offered it to me. As somebody who relies on digital amps due to their volume going low, would this be acceptable for a bedroom player in shared accom? My main amp is a boss katana 100w and I use it because it is flexible and I am able to gig with it.

I haven't owned a tube amp before.

The main concern here is the volume.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

7 tube watts is still pretty loud. I ran a Tiny Terror on the 7 watt setting in an apartment before and I’m surprised I didn’t get kicked out.

For ultra low volume playing, solid state is probably the way to go. Personally I wouldn’t get a tube amp unless you can turn it up a little. At conversation volume, you won’t be getting the advantages a tube amp can give in warmth and harmonics.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The others in your shared accommodation will love you. If you like the sound of a lot of pre-amp gain, it may work for you, winding the gain up and keeping the master low, but they get very loud, very quickly. Low volume cleans?, could be anything really. The character comes through when the volume comes up. That may not sit well in your circumstances.

Much though it pains me, and sitting here in front of a shelf of assorted valve amps, for low volume stuff where the needs of others have to be taken into account lest a swift knee to the gentlemen's matrimonial necessities is delivered, it's tough to beat a good solid state ( or modeller )

Now we're allowed to roam a little, go try it out. I have to use an attenuator, or more often, a load box + D.I + headphones to get any of my valve amps singing. My little Hotone solid state needs none of that. I'd counsel, through gritted teeth, not.

Deathray, stormsedge and naveed211 like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

By the time it gets loud, it is more Marshally.

pugnax and stnmtthw like this.
  5. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have one. Mine is fine to dial in at low volume.

If you don't like the preamp gain, you can always put your favorite overdrive in front of it.

I like the way mine breaks up naturally but I do insist on running my Boss RV-6 into it. A single 10" speaker just doesn't fill enough space by itself for me.

6. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Just a thought & maybe way off topic but have you thought about running the Katana through say a Focusrite 2i2 bundle for this situation & being able to put some tunes together as a bonus.?
    Tube amps are fairly useless in units even @ 2 watts if noise is a issiue.

7. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

I used to use a 007 as a living room amp - great tones at tv levels-I would score it.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

will your friend let you take it home for a couple days to play thru it?

sleazy pot pie likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Go for it. Realize you aren’t going to be cranking the master and gain at the same time and going for power tube breakup. You will still have the tube feel and response in the preamp. And it will sound good clean or with preamp dirt because power tube breakup is not a requirement for good sound or enjoyment.

You’re running a 100w modeler and not getting in trouble, you’ll be able to use a 7w tube amp and not get in trouble. If you were regularly getting in trouble with the 100w Katana then you would probably get in trouble with the bass breaker as well.

Let’s get real here, a Katana 100 is not a Yamaha THR or a black star fly 3, if the Katana 100 works so will the bass breaker. Tube amps punch above their wattage rating compared to solid state but not 10-15x louder.

pugnax likes this.
  10. Octomann

Octomann TDPRI Member

I have one precisely for that use case, and I think it's great. I find it it is possible to get good "saturated" sounding preamp distortion from it at low master volumes. As far as the "tube watts sound louder", generally I agree with that sentiment, but by the same token, my 007 is the quietest among the tube amps I've had at similar wattage range (~5ish).

11. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I had an OR15 and found it to be perfectly usable at bedroom levels, but it really benefited from having a decent attenuator (Weber MiniMASS) to get the amp working the way it wants too. It’s also possible to grab a cheap loadbox off reverb and a cab sim (eg ADA GCS-5) and then be able to crank it and play with headphones and record a decent sound. It’s not sonically perfect but a great setup (for ~$200).

Is it just the head or the combo? Cabinets can make a huge difference in getting a good lower volume tone in a small space.

12. fbb007

fbb007 TDPRI Member

i play in my bedroom dialed low, a house full of students. no one complains,
    again, they don't complain when its dimed (gets really loud)either

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.