1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bass Wood Finishing

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Laren, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

Just starting a build using bass wood for the body. Never used it before but it was cheap and I'm only using it for a couple of practice builds. I made a couple body blanks and sanded them flat and it seems quite a soft wood.

There's nothing interesting about it at all so an opaque finish it will be, maybe some metallic sparkly stuff.

I'm guessing just some sanding sealer, primer, colour and multiple coats of clear.

Any input appreciated as always.

Thanks guys.

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like working with basswood. It's economical, machines beautifully and relatively light in weight, too. Yes, it's somewhat soft. I do only use it for painted finishes, however. So seal/fill, prime and continue finishing as you describe.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Works on guitars too!

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I used bass wood for the center block of a semi hollow - it is light weight, cuts and works very easily - if I had to characterize it I would say half way between balsa and maple. I know it is a common wood for carvers. It has a reputation for denting easily - I believe that Ibanez has used it for solid guitar bodies and finished them in some sort of epoxy. I guess if I was going to finish it I would be tempted to use a two part catalyzed finish of some sort. I might also be inclined to harden screw holes by wicking thin CA into them.

As always, save you cutoffs for practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.