Bass through solid-state guitar amp +/- guitar pedals?

srblue5

Tele-Holic
My band has a gig next week and our bass player is suddenly unavailable. It looks like I'm going to have to fill in for him for most of the gig (the other guitarist may play bass for a song or two if he feels like it). I own both a Squier VI and a new Ibanez TMB30 (not sure which I'll use yet for the gig) but I don't own a bass amp. At home, I usually plug the bass into an interface and listen through headphones, since I mostly use it for home demos. If possible, I'd prefer to stay away from Long & McQuade during the holiday shopping season for a rental (although I'm not averse to getting a rental bass amp if it is absolutely needed).

To that end, would it be safe/advisable to plug either the Squier VI or Ibanez 4-string basses into a Peavey Bandit? Or would that risk damaging the speaker or amp itself?

Similarly, can guitar pedals be used for bass guitar or could that cause any damage to the pedals?

Sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to bass gear...

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
No- do not play a gig on bass using guitar amps.

I’d shy away from using your Squier VI as well. You’re subbing on bass, right???

What sort of pedals do you plan on using?? A TS-9??
Rent a Rumble….can’t go wrong. :cool:
My band has a gig next week and our bass player is suddenly unavailable. It looks like I'm going to have to fill in for him for most of the gig (the other guitarist may play bass for a song or two if he feels like it). I own both a Squier VI and a new Ibanez TMB30 (not sure which I'll use yet for the gig) but I don't own a bass amp. At home, I usually plug the bass into an interface and listen through headphones, since I mostly use it for home demos. If possible, I'd prefer to stay away from Long & McQuade during the holiday shopping season for a rental (although I'm not averse to getting a rental bass amp if it is absolutely needed).

To that end, would it be safe/advisable to plug either the Squier VI or Ibanez 4-string basses into a Peavey Bandit? Or would that risk damaging the speaker or amp itself?

Similarly, can guitar pedals be used for bass guitar or could that cause any damage to the pedals?

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
You won't cause any damage playing a bass through guitar pedals (although some may not sound great).
However I wouldn't play a bass through a guitar amp. (1) you might damage the speaker due to the low-frequency signals and (2) it will most likely sound pretty poor.

Nothing wrong with using a Squier Bass VI though... I saw Thurston Moore playing a couple of three years back and his bass player used a Squier Bass VI. Quite a lot of cool available there...

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The problem is the guitar speaker will not survive bass frequencies at band levels, especially in the Bandit’s open back speaker cabinet, with no damping to tame the cone’s excursion. Also, it will sound bad because the open back design will allow a lot of low frequency cancellation between the sound coming off the back of the speaker being out of phase with the sound coming off the front.

The Bandit circuit itself can produce a credible bass sound on the clean channel, and maybe even at a useful volume level...if it’s plugged into an efficient bass cabinet instead of the Bandit’s internal speaker.

i have a Special 150 combo (a late 80s Bandit with twice the watts) and I have used it in a pinch as a bass amp, once driving a pair of 1 x 15 PA cabs and other times driving the AudioKinesis 4 x 8” cab I own now. It does clean, clear and tight very well on the clean channel. I’d expect pretty much any era of Bandit to be capable of the same, at a slightly lower level due to having fewer watts.

If you can get your hands on an appropriate speaker it will do the job if the band isn’t super loud. 75 watts is marginal for bass, though. It will work better if you go easy on the lows and push the mids...you’ll conserve headroom and get those watts to go farther that way.

srblue5

Tele-Holic
Thanks for the insights re: the guitar amp! I definitely don't want to damage the Bandit's speaker (or any of my guitar amp speakers, for that matter). I will likely rent a bass amp, maybe one with built-in overdrive/distortion.

The reason for considering the VI is partly out of familiarity (I'm mainly a guitarist and 4-string basses sometimes flummox me, especially in high-stress situations) and partly to potentially get more guitar-like sounds. We are a two-guitar band but when our bassist doesn't make it to gigs/rehearsals, we plays as a power trio but the sound seems more empty that way.

EsquireBoy

Friend of Leo's
Using the bass vi with the strangle switch won’t hurt the speaker, unless you really push the amp at its max.

Surely it won’t be your typical bass tone, but then you’re not the typical bass player so I would embrace the originality.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I guess a Peavey Bandit will do .... as long as the guitarist is running into a 10 Watt amp .... and you dial down the bass and turn up the mids on the amp.
Otherwise, no.
Also, no to the Bass VI. You'll be tempted to play it like a guitar. Just use the Ibanez and plonk along with the drummer.

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
No, I did this once and it blew something in the amp, what I don't recall, but I think it caused something to become unsoldered but that then caused a failure in other components and it did the amp no good

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely go with the Squier VI! The audience will never see it coming! They'll think it's a guitar! :D

If you don't have a bass amp you could consider going direct into the PA, obviously using something between the instrument and
the mixer to get line level. Some modelling box of your choice will do nicely.

I've used the Boss Digital Metalizer MZ-2 with a bass and thereby invented a sound I dubbed *SKRONK*.
Had the FOH mixer guy leaping for the faders when i kicked that sucker. ;)

bholder

Tele-Meister
Don't play bass through your guitar rig or your first good hard low note will destroy the speakers (most likely component to be damaged).

I second the bass VI suggestions. I've found suitable 30" baritones other places too sometimes (Eastwood, Rondo / SX ).

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

All good answers here.....but I have a couple questions. Why can't you just borrow your bass player's bass amp? Or, is he playing somewhere, and that's why he can't play? Another suggestion, is to play as a "two guitar" band, with one of you dialing up a very bassy tone, to cover the low end. You could even use an octave pedal of some sort, which also covers the low end.
To repeat what others have said, playing bass into your Bandit at any volume, will SHRED your speaker. I wouldn't recommend pedals simply because there should be laws against playing bass through pedals.....it's NOT a guitar. (you know what I mean) Good luck....and let us know how it turns out. ;)