1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bass Mute ?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by jefrs, Aug 29, 2011.

1. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

:?:
    Do you use a mute on your bass? What do you use?

This is a "thing" you shove under the strings somewhere, usually close to the bridge.
    Foam, felt, cork, cloth, stuff, etc. Effect like palm-muting but allows you to play at the bridge meanwhile.

I have been experimenting with various materials but have not yet found the right solution. I want to halt the strings ringing on, with sound something like an upright perhaps.

TIA, jefrs

2. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

I just use a piece of black foam near the bridge of my P bass. I just cut out a piece of foam that my cabinet casters were boxed in. I love the sound. Great for blues with a bit of an upright-ish approximation.

3. beatles1909

beatles1909 TDPRI Member

+1 that's what I use works out just fine

4. roscoestring

roscoestring Tele-Holic

I'll have to give that a try. I've just recently started palm muting on bass.

5. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Folks, just like always... we need pictures.
    Thanks.

6. vanvhreen

vanvhreen TDPRI Member

Sponge mute

This works for me.

[​IMG]

7. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

I sometimes use a patch lead woven through the strings. Seemed to work somehow!

I use my palm most often to palm mute certain things. With a pick you get that clickly Beach Boys tone when you need it.

8. jefrs

I have a PV T-40 which has the massive through-body tail-stop, it has a couple of slots (silver areas above bridge) suitable for a mute of some kind. I can palm-mute it but then only pick/pluck over the bridge pickup. Right-hand muting each string with the fingers/thumb is fine but tiresome. If you want to pluck at the neck, and palm-mute every note, then ... what?
    [​IMG]
    The pickups are massive and the bridge unit split can be selected either coil, it is big enough that it can be considered as two laterally displaced single-coils. The huge pickups do lend a booming sustain, Strings are Thomastik JR344 round-wound.

Tried - rubber tubing (useless), foam (probably too narrow, see slot), the little guitar duster cloth (ineffective), rolled baize felt (ok but tends to unravel).

Any more?

9. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Try cutting up mouse mat material and doubling it back if needs be!

10. jefrs

Good idea. Keep them coming.

I'm trying to find out what you use, that you have used, that gives a good sound.

The slots on the T-40 are a little over 1/4-in wide but deep as a finger width.
    That may restrict my choice, and it needs to be something that can be slipped in and out without a lot of fiddling about.

11. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

I use a piece of spongy foam packing material similar to this.

But be careful, it changes your intonation. That may or may not matter depending on how much it mutes the sound or how much you care.

The biggest problem I have is finding someting that mutes all strings equally. The angle of the mute in the pic should help that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.