Bass musings and thoughts..... Amps, basses, gigs, frets, fingers... LOL

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
A friend of mine has one of those ultra-small, ultra-light bass amps - I think Bugera or Behringer, which is like 1500 watts. There are lots of choices for tiny, powerful heads. He plays through a combination of Bugera Turbosound 2-10s and a 1-15 - mix and match. Sounds great and weighs hardly anything. The Turbosound neo speakers are great and on the less expensive side.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I do sometimes wonder if a 15 would be better for country. the steel player always wants more bottom end. i dont want it to sound like 1 gigantic low note that u cant decipher. ive been to live shows where that is the case. blaaaa

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I like a compact sealed 15 but most drivers aren't suited for it. I just picked up a pair of hartke 112's and I'm pretty happy. Though I've yet to try them in a band situation, I think they'll hang. Definitely like the tone and size. (Which pretty much guarantees that the volume is the part I compromised on. Pick two.)

I definitely think two is the standard rig though. One is ok for home or very low volume. I'd just take one for an acoustic guitar jam. But IMO one would not cut it with even a dynamic drummer and any sort of midrange instrument - keys / guitar/etc...

Attachments

• 299781864_436569625163199_5564932881609142011_n.jpg
    299781864_436569625163199_5564932881609142011_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I have an ampeg ba 112 that i think is 50 watts. At first i thought it lacked bottom end. But then @mexicanyella reminded me to try the extra bass button. ludicrous bass. whatever its called and it sounds much fuller now. i was thinking it was an indicator of 12s in general, but i was wrong. lol. that one is still very heavy though. and although its lighter than my rumble 100 its more of a pain to move around. plus its not much more if at all louder than my rumble 40. right now it lives in my basement as my recording amp and has been doing good at that.

Attachments

• 5828755E-F75C-4DED-8D8C-95CE5F1153A8.jpeg
    5828755E-F75C-4DED-8D8C-95CE5F1153A8.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 9

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I do sometimes wonder if a 15 would be better for country. the steel player always wants more bottom end. i dont want it to sound like 1 gigantic low note that u cant decipher. ive been to live shows where that is the case. blaaaa

My experience with my Peavey combo’s Scorpion 15” and my AudioKinesis cab’s four FaitalPRO 8” speakers is, speaker diameter is not what makes a strong low note.

The Scorp can go low, at least for four-string standard tuned bass purposes. It can also go bright in bass guitar terms. I think its response is listed as 45 Hz-2 kHz or thereabouts.

The FaitalPROs go at least as low, have a lot more Xmax, and also extend up a lot farther in response. 6 kHz or something. And one of them handles the same power as the Scorp, costs quite a bit more than the Scorp to replace...

Anyway, the box they are mounted in is a huge factor. And the old Peavey 1 x 15 combo amp can deliver the goods, but the main thing I noticed about using a single 15 is, if you like some highs, or some dirt overtones, in your sound, those upper freqs come off a 15 in a pretty narrow beam. Getting narrower as you go up in frequency. I could get a sound I liked I lot from the single 15, but I had to position myself just so to hear it right once the drums and guitar started blazing away.

The smaller speakers are less directional in the high frequencies. But smaller or larger speakers can deliver strong low notes if they are designed to do that and installed in the right enclosure.

I like a compact sealed 15 but most drivers aren't suited for it. I just picked up a pair of hartke 112's and I'm pretty happy. Though I've yet to try them in a band situation, I think they'll hang. Definitely like the tone and size. (Which pretty much guarantees that the volume is the part I compromised on. Pick two.) View attachment 1020259

Those HyDrive 112s seem pretty slick. I like that they are about the right width to put a rack case on for people who still use rack gear. Yet they are fairly compact. Don’t they have dual-impedance switchable voice coils, 4 and 8 ohm?

I have an ampeg ba 112 that i think is 50 watts. At first i thought it lacked bottom end. But then @mexicanyella reminded me to try the extra bass button. ludicrous bass. whatever its called and it sounds much fuller now. i was thinking it was an indicator of 12s in general, but i was wrong. lol. that one is still very heavy though. and although its lighter than my rumble 100 its more of a pain to move around. plus its not much more if at all louder than my rumble 40. right now it lives in my basement as my recording amp and has been doing good at that.

“Ludicrous bass”

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I run a tight flat picked flatwound but bright tone with the tweeter off. At noon on the bass they're still really full, not bloomy. When the volume heads up towards band levels I'll cut the bass back even further.

Yeah they do have a dual voice coil thing. I wish I could disable that. The pf-500 could cook one in 4 ohm mode.

I generally run tweeters off with a bit of treble boost and it's bright enough for me that way.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I have a weird bass rig. This is the “It’s aliiiiiiiiiive!!!” pic from right after I got a more powerful power amp (Crown MicroTech 600; 750 watts bridged into 4 ohms) and built my own rack case out of scrap wood and a couple of rack rails:

2476A483-F2CA-4FDF-9F39-78843B178453.jpeg

The blue anodized thing is a Behringer V-amp Pro guitar amp modeler/multi-FX unit someone gave me, thinking it was broken. I use it as my preamp, parked on the Roland JC120 emulation, with some compression, gain and extra mids dialed in, and the presence set low. Works well with a P-bass.

The speakers in the cab are FaitalPRO 8PR-200s, which are also used in the 2 x 8 Trace Elliot Elf cabs. The idea behind the side-firing speakers was to get even high frequency dispersion without a high-dollar horn or crossover. Instead, the builder chose high dollar drivers with a wide frequency response and a ton of Xmax and aimed them in three directions. It works: even looking straight down at the top of the cab I can hear everything I am doing. It is not possible to have off-axis hearing problems within anywhere my instrument cord will reach.

At the moment I am experimenting with just using a Joyo British Sound pedal to drive the power amp. I can get away with that because the Crown has a higher sensitivity setting for the input, allowing the Joyo to drive it pretty well. It’s a grungier, dirtier sound than I get with the V-amp/fake JC120 arrangement, and the lows aren’t as slamtastic, but it sounds good for the lo-fi punk-ish knucklehead things my band does.

C007FB7E-C0E6-48E1-A3CC-8244690174B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’ll address these one at a time-

IEMs: No thanks. When wedges are gone for good, I’ll retire. I’ve tried it, I hate it. And the person who doesn’t sing flat with them stuffed in their ears is a VERY rare bird. Even at the very top levels of the business. Almost everyone sings flat with those things, and they don’t even know it. If they heard live recordings of themselves, most people who swear by them would be shocked.

Ampless? Double no thanks. Again, if it gets to a point where that’s all there is, I’ll go sell refrigerators or something. It would be about the same amount of fun at that point.

Picking apart your colors? I don’t k ow about you, but I didn’t get into this business to blend into the background. I like to stick out. I like to be noticed. I’ll take pretty much any color for a cable that isn’t black. And the wilder the better. I feel the same way about my instruments. I won’t let a paint job stop me from owning a great guitar, but if I have a choice, I like stuff that pops. Reds, blues, any of the fender custom colors, even pink and purple are high on my list.

One of my basses is CAR, the other is a sparkly metallic royal purple, and I have cables that match them. Cause it’s cool.

As with everything else, YMMV. But second only to making good music, I’m on stage to get attention.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I agree with the flat singing. I tried to tell my singer the same thing. I can hear him sounding weird when he wears them. But then he was like, all the pros do it (the country ones he's looking at) and you need to have a good reverb in your mix to not sing flat. That was his solution. Either way it's all just talk until like you say, you hear yourself back. I don't wanna sing with crap in my ears. And I'm the one singing back ups in that band which is high stuff. Some stuff is right at the edge of my range and a few even beyond so I'll go falsetto. LOL. Or sound crappy...

But yeah. I was telling them last practice that I don't see how you can have a drummer wailing away and everyone else just have in ears in. And they did agree with that. And said if they do it, it'll just be the vocals at first.... OK. We will see how that works....

He eventually doesn't want to carry monitors. If we're all using amps then those are our monitors for the instruments and then the vox will be in ears. I'm still not loving that. Because the dudes on the other side of the stage, I might not be able to hear. I either always hear the drummer, or if the lead guitarist is on my side, I hear those two. I can never hear the fiddle very well, unless we're on a stage where a sound guy is doing it. Our steel guy used to play louder than everyone else, but he's getting better at that. He's got this big quilter amp with a 15" speaker. And then he tells me I'm not bassy enough. LOL. Cuz all you can hear are his low mids enveloping the whole bar. That is better lately though. Not sure what happened.

I'm not a flash and bang type guy. I don't mind blending in on stage. I'm getting old, my time for pretending to be a rock star has passed. I'm just there to have fun and get paid. And do my best to make the young guy look good if I can. So I don't really care about being flashy. But that's the color of my bass.

I am getting to the point that it's hard to deny how much more I like the P bass while playing. I like the jazz sounds but the P feels so much more at home and it takes less effort to be accurate and strangely enough, I think I can play faster on the P. LOL. How, I don't know.

I DO want a red refrigerator though. So if you do get in that business.... let me know if you see any. I always see them in the foreign shows. Like French shows or Italian..... LOL.