Bass combo as clean guitar amp, or - ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Thoughtfree, May 22, 2020.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree TDPRI Member

When I was gigging on electric guitar, my favorite amp was a Roland JC-77. I'd play with guitar volume at 7 for rhythm, 10 for soloing, using a Rat pedal to distort when needed. Still got it, but it weighs a ton.

Last 8 or 10 years, all my gigging has been electric-acoustic guitar to mixer to powered speaker. Dead clean.

Now that I'm only playing around the house, my favorite electric guitar amp remains the excellent Peavey Microbass; clean, quiet, full-range, but underpowered for a gig.

So what's an affordable, powerful one-channel clean-only guitar amp these days? How about a bass combo, though I know the EQ might not be ideal. My now-gone Fender Acoustasonic Jr. sounded pretty good for electric guitar, though it was way too heavy.

Thanks!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What's your definition of affordable? Used prices okay? The JC-77 weighs 40-something pounds, right? Might as well give us an approximate weight limit, too :)

3. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My tele sounds nice through my Rumble 100. It has 3 voicings you can use or combine, plus an OD channel.

scook and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like as long as you can adjust EQ, such as with an EQ pedal or some kind of pre-amp, that you could get good electric guitar sounds through just about any amp or PA, including bass amps. If you favor lots of heavy low frequencies-- such as using fuzz with a low octaver, a bass amp might provide the tightness in lows you're looking for. Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) apparently liked to use bass rigs when he played electric guitar in Kyuss-- very heavy fuzz tones.....

5. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

I see you’ve mentioned solid state amps exclusively. Do you have a strong preference to go with one of those versus a tube amp?

6. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

Through all the years of gigging (70's - 10's) I knew a lot of guitarists and harp players who used Fender Bassman amps. Either combos or heads and cabs. Their clean sound was fantastic.

PhredE and haggardfan1 like this.
  7. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

Through all the years of gigging (70's - 10's) I knew a lot of guitarists and harp players who used Fender Bassman amps. Either combos or heads and cabs. Their clean sound was fantastic.

8. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

I'm sorry for the double post. I pressed post reply once but it posted twice and I don't see a way to delete one.

9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I hear guitar sounds great through a bass amp. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I'm looking.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hands up who thinks that by today's standards the Bassman is more of a guitar amp than a bass amp?

11. chris m.

Yeah, the Bassman as well as the MusicMaster Bass amp don't count. For years they have been considered guitar amps and just a bit too anemic for bass sound production except at low volumes.

12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I've been doing the same for about a year. I actually traded in a couple of old amps that I wasn't using for a new Rumble 100, after receiving a bass as a Christmas gift, and trying the Rumble in a store with my Tele.

It sounds really good, and I haven't yet really done a ton of experimentation with its settings; may I ask what kind of music you play and what voicings you use?

13. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I had a teal-stripe Peavey Manx for years, and only occasionally used it for bass. Mostly, I used it for acoustic and electric guitars and for keyboards as well.

14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Quilter technically uses a bass speaker in their flagship 12.

15. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

They count because they are made and marketed as bass amps. Guitarists just discovered years ago they sound better clean so started using them.
    I know plenty of bassists who use them as bass amps.
    I've never played through one cause the only Fender amp I like is a Twin Reverb. I used a lot of amps during the gigging days. Crate, Kustom, Vox and twin reverbs to name a few.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nothing wrong with a Bass amp for that, but dont use a modern bass cab... too deep, bassy and woofy.

PhredE likes this.
  17. chris m.

Carole Kay of the infamous Wrecking Crew played bass on a tremendous number of hits. From watching a biopic about her she used a Fender Super Reverb in the studio. So it is true that at lower volumes bass can work pretty well through just about any guitar amp. At higher volumes the speakers are likely to blow out since they typically aren't designed to handle that much low end, especially in an open cabinet.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, however. I am very interested in the converse-- what bass amps sound great for bass but also great for guitar. I've been playing bass more-- right now just DI into my DAW, but I could see playing out. If I need to buy a bass amp it would be good to know which ones work well doing double duty for other instruments like keys and electric guitar. I also play some synth so hence interest in keys, too.

PhredE likes this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bass amps rock with a regular guitar ... Rhythm guitar especially.... palm muted power chords ... oh my ...
    ... the Fender Bassman was a bass amp ...

19. chris m.

Interesting test of using a Fender Bassman and then a SS MarkBass amp for guitar here---perhaps some excessive talking but two points merit attention-- use of gain pedals and possibly an EQ pedal would go a long way to allowing a guitar player to coax decent sounds for guitar out of just about any bass amp.

PhredE likes this.
  20. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. If I can find a loud, extra clean, sub-20 pound amp, I'll be happy. Somebody asked what my music style is. Clean "rhythm" guitar has been the only thing people have been willing to pay me for - though I enjoy blasting some fuzz or heavy overdrive sounds on occasion. Tubes, been there, done that... kinda don't care so much in my old age.

I am rehearsing a pop and jazz solo guitar song list; a strange amalgam of Joe Pass and Duane Eddy is starting to emerge, though I am a long way from being gig-ready with this concept.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.