bass bridges

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by anomalous, Sep 16, 2020.

1. anomalous

anomalous NEW MEMBER!

Hey!
    Soon I'll I start looking at bass bridges.

Are there strong opinions and reasoning for / against the: Gotoh 201, Schaller that Warmoth sells, or the LQ Badass series? The Gotoh is nice and cheap but the Schaller looks cool and industrial, while the Quan products have a long (good?) rep, I think.

2. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I’m not familiar with the Schaller, but I have a 201. The 201 has two additional holes, but you obviously don’t have to use them. The 201 is close to a standard bridge but with a few improvements.

After 18 years, I’ve never been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on a high-mass bridge. Mostly because of the price, but also because I’ve been pretty happy with the standard Fender bridges.

KATT likes this.
  3. BILL GRONER

BILL GRONER TDPRI Member

Has anyone made their own brass saddles. I was wondering if the diameter was increased from 5/16" to 7/16" the saddles would not have to be jacked up with the set screws as much. Thoughts?

Sorry I read the original post wrong. I made some brass saddles for a regular tele at 7/16" diameter, but have not tried them yet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

If you are asking about a replacement bridge for a Fender bass save your money. Stock bridges work perfectly well.

Dan_Pomykalski and KATT like this.
  5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have used the KSM Foundation bass bridge and it made a big improvement in my Yamaha bass. Slauson Slim is correct that the standard Fender bridges work well but sometimes a bass needs a little help and changing the bridge is one thing that can improve the sound and or sustain.

6. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I have a brass Hipshot on my Precision, and the regular old folded sheet metal one on my Jazz. They both work well, and sound awesome. The Hi mass bridge has better sustain, although the Jazz has enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.