Bass Amplification On The Cheap: Which Medium Reigns Supreme?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by IMadeYouReadThis, May 28, 2019.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You can find Traynor Block bass amps for cheap.
    I have an old beat up late 80s model, and it still works and sounds great.
    It’s 80 watts RMS, and plenty loud enough for the old guy gigs I do.
    You can find Roland Bass Cube amps for under $200, too.
    I really like those.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

If it's just for home practice go to Craiglist and get a used combo amp. You don't ned a DI out for home. If you're playing out somewhere with a sound guy they will have a DI anyway. If you are going to start gigging then it's a whole 'nother story.

SolidSteak likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Used Ibanez Sr2ex strait into recording board today for a song in the studio. My main rg was always Ampeg, but in the studio/di..Sansamp is the way to go..so many classic sounds in it .

4. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Fender Rumble 40, $200 new. Lightweight, sounds great, about as much of an amp you'd want for home practice. Gigable, as it has a DI out.

The Rumble 25 for $100 new is also great... but with less features, and it's heavier.

erratick likes this.
  5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I've seen many people with and myself used and gigged with Behringer bass amps. They sound good and are dirt cheap.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe look for a used tech 21 bass fly rig or something similar?

7. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

A Fender Rumble 40 just fits within your budget. I own one and it's a great little amp. It doesn't have enough oomph for a live performance with a full band but in that case you can just mic it and run it through the PA.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  8. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I've heard the DI on the Rumble 40 isn't great. It's output is apparently inconsistent and susceptible to randomly dropping out. No personal experience, just a few reviews online.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I too have a Rumble 40. It's a great grab-and-go bass amp, and the newer model that I've got weighs less than 20 lbs. No idea about the DI - never used it. I'm thinking though that you should seek out a used Rumble 100 or 200. Should give you more umph than the 40 if you ever want to get loud.

The amp it replaced was a Peavey TNT 115. For the large size and heavy weight it was only 75 watts, and it got drowned out easily playing with a medium volume drummer; not much better than my Rumble 40. Bet it weighed 80 lbs too. PITA to move.

10. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

Lots of great suggestions for home use bass amps. We regularly gig with a Rumble 40 and the DI has never failed or been inconsistent. Maybe we got lucky.

With that said, if you want a new amp, I agree that the Fender Rumble series is a solid choice and probably one of the best "bang-for-your-buck" amps on the market today. You can find great deals on used Fender Rumble amps as well but make sure they are the latest Rumble series of amps which I think are version 3 starting in 2014.

The choices are wide open for used amps. I've gone through my fair share of used bass amps over the past several decades and the most solid amps I've played/owned under $200 have been the Hartke Kickback series, Ampeg BA series, and Peavey TNT series.

Whatever you decide, as a general rule, I would make sure the speaker is at least 10". At $200, it'll be tough to find an amp with enough power to use at a gig without a built in DI unless you're playing a small venue like a small coffee house. If it were me, I would find a used Hartke, Ampeg or Peavey amp with the most wattage available with at least a 10" speaker even though it may never leave the house. If I really wanted brand new, I would get the Fender Rumble 40.

Good luck and have fun finding a bass amp.

11. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I use a "90's (?) Yorkville "Bassmaster 100". 100w, 15" speaker, DI, headphone jack. They seem to sell for under $200. Works well for me, I've been paid after every job. Also had a "77 Carvin 125w head and 2X15" cabinet for about 10 years - too much to lug. Had same setup; Trayner tube amp and 2X15 cab from "68 - "77.

QUESTION: I heard bass cabinets should be 4 cubic feet; this Yorkville is less; about 2-1/2, any input?

12. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I got a screamin' deal on my Rumble 100 (I think $240 new after tax) and sold it used for about $200, maybe $180 after some haggling. It was a great amp!

Note: IIRC on the Rumbles the DI is post master volume, so if the MV is turned down you'll need more gain on the board.

13. IMadeYouReadThis

Has anyone had experience with the affordable Ashdown and Orange amps?

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

any suggestions on not destroying bass amp speakers when using them to amplify drum machines and vocals? would a limiter or compressor help?

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the rumble 25 is the one where the speaker is dying. we've also killed a roland keyboard amp.

16. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I bought a used Ashdown 5-15 100w 1x15" combo for our rehearsal space. I tested it with a guitar and it appeared to have plenty of volume (the vendor had used it with cello), but when used with a bass it lacked the volume to compete with a light handed drummer and my restrained use of a VHT Special 6 Ultra.

I have since bought a Behringer 180w head (new from Thomann for £85) and a used Ashdown 1x15 cab (£45 and a 65 mile round trip to collect). This sounds good and has more than enough volume to cope with a heavy handed drummer and a couple of 20-50w guitar amps.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

SWR Workingman 12 or Workingman 15. 160 watt combos and built like a tank. Two on Ebay right now, $180 and $200.

Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Keeley Bassist and a Broughton HPF

19. IMadeYouReadThis

Actually, a SWR Workingman's 12 just showed up at the local shop. $279.99 in "great" condition. I trust their judgement, but that price seems a bit high, don't it?

Dismalhead likes this.
  20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, that's a little high, but not that bad, either. But there's a few advantages there, too.

It's not an auction site deal with all the risks and hassles that come with that. Packing and shipping are a challenge with a heavy amp like that. And you don't truly know the condition until you can put your hands on it. You could bring along your bass and try this one out. If you like it, you can take it home. They might be open to a lower offer, too.

My bottom line is that I wouldn't dismiss this one based on the asking price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.