Bass Amp

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by erratick, Dec 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Played my first gig in a long time last night. 3 bands in a bar. We were the second band. Bar provided PA. The bands agreed to use the same back line. So the last drummer- his kit, same with bassists, and largely guitarists, although one band had 3 guitarists (acoustic, rhythm, lead) so there was an amp that was not from the last band.

I'm on bass for the second band. I bring the bass the drummer likes (MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz). 2 cables and a tuner. 2nd bass player has a MarkBass cube or micro. I wish I'd payed more attention to the specific model. I didn't dial in my sound, didn't really mess with it. It was loud enough, boomed pretty well, but kinda weak on upper mids. Good sounding amp. Especially considering it might have been 20"x20" and weighed 20lbs if that. Tiny single speaker bass combo. I think it was a 10" speaker.

It was loud enough to keep up with our drummer (the loudest of the lot). Sounded fine, easy to tote.

I was pleasantly surprised- now I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the little bass amps. I have a 70s bassman head, a gk400rb head, 2x10 cabinet and a 1x15 cabinet (heavy and needs recone). And an ampeg BA210 combo 48lbs.

Anyway- anyone been surprised by an amp at a gig? Have you moved to tiny bass combos that thump?

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have a Mark bass amp... it is loud. Has a 15" speaker. I like it. Beats the Peavey I used to use ... by a mile. I used to lug a cab with 1 15" speaker and another one with 4 12"speakers The mark does the same thing and weighs 38lbs. If I ever end up playing bass again I will get a 210 or 410 extension cab for it.

erratick likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I've just bought a Phil Jones Bass Double 4 for home use. About as big as a shoe box. While it doesn't claim to be a suitable gigging amp, it has amazing sound for 2x4" speakers and I'd certainly recommend investigating larger members of the new generation of lightweight bass amps for gigging.

images.jpeg.jpg

cc50fralin and erratick like this.
  4. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I have a Little Mark 250 Black head, the entry level of the brand. Even paired with my far less than perfect 1x12 homemade cab, the amp sounds great...

erratick likes this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 75w Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 I use for practice but it could easily handle a light duty band rehearsal itself or a higher volume gig with it's balanced out to a FOH PA where it would serve as my stage monitor.

I've never been a fan of Line 6 amps before but this little guy kicks ass and I got it for around $100 used. It's an ideal studio amp and would also be perfect for acoustic or unplugged gigs I may do. It's a real bargain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I still hava have relatively large speakers and cabinets, but the tiny d class microamps are fine.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got a new small 12" combo, a 15" combo, and a full double cab bi-amped rig. The 15 doesn't get used anymore. The new class D combos with long throw drivers are amazing, but no replacement for power/transformers and surface area.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Congrats on getting back out there!

9. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have this and their 150 model. Both are very good, although the 150 is too heavy. Bought the 110 when I heard Will Lee plays one. Best purchase ever. They are no longer made but they can be found used. Highly recommend.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, our fellow member Hexabuzz recommended that amp to me after I said I was looking for a smaller practice size amp and given what I paid for it vs it's value it's some of the best money I ever spent on bass gear of any kind.

I don't know what they sold for new but man, Padded input, 4 basic amps voice plus a synth, 4 band EQ, Gain and Master, DI out, Preamp out, Headphone Jack, CD/MP3 input. That's a lot going on in a small studio size bass amp.

11. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Ibanez Promethean 3110...

Full 300W power without or with 8 ohms extension cab...
    Small, light, loud...

12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

erratick,

Was the Micro Cube mic'ed to the PA, or did it carry the load as is?

That's an amazing feat if it wasn't mic'ed or cabled to the PA head.

:)

erratick and nojazzhere like this.
  13. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Markbass Little Mark 250 - hooked up to a 1x12" cab it is loud enough for most gigs I do (no loud rock/metal, though).
    The upright bass player in my rockabilly band has a Markbass combo that combines the Little Mark 250 with a 1x10" speaker in a combo cab - loud enough for smaller clubs, for bigger places or outdoors we simply add my 1x12" on the external speaker output.

erratick likes this.
  14. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

The Little Mark only delivers it's full power when connected to 4 ohms speaker (or association). And yes, it can be sufficient to a loud and noisy metal band if you pair it with a very sensitive speaker and equalize it with more mids, to cut better through the mix. Or, just play black metal, since no one will pay attention to the bass anyway...

erratick likes this.
  15. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

Check out the Fender Rumble series.

I have the Rumble 40: 40 watts into 1x10 speaker, weighs less than 20 lbs, and sounds great.

I would only recommend it for practice or low-volume gigs, but any of the larger ones would fit all your criteria.

The 100 is 100 watts into a 12.

The 200 is 140 watts into a 15, jumps to 200 watts with a second cab.

The 500 is 375 watts into 2x10s and jumps to 500 watts with a second cab.

They're all very light. You can also buy the 200 and 500 as heads.

And they're all less expensive than you'd expect.

Try one of them out; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mike

dobrojoe, erratick and WireLine like this.
  16. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

One amp I'd love to try is the Phil Jones.

I've heard many people rave about them, but I've never seen one in any store to try.

Mike

erratick likes this.
  17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

For bass gigs, either a Rumble 500 head or an Ampeg Classic pre into a Jay Ganz Power amp..

Cabs include an Eden EX112, an Aguilar clone made by Greg’s Audio/441 Live (with much better components) or a Rumble 410 cab, which I never use.

erratick likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Hartke B30 with a 10" speaker for home practice, and a recently acquired TC Electronics BH250 head to drive my ANCIENT Peavey 1X15" cabinet.(I think the Peavey cab came out of King Tut's tomb) While the 1X15" isn't HUGE, I may look at some newer compact cabs, either 1X12" or 2X10".

erratick likes this.
  19. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve got an Eden WTX260 and a GK MB200 that I also use for guitar. My micro rig is one of these with a (discontinued) Eden EX110 10” cabinet.

erratick likes this.
  20. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Load as is. Not sure if which model of micro, but yeah. I actually was asked to turn down a hair after the first tune.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.