Bass amp recommendation

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by onlybrowning, Mar 21, 2013.

1. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

Hi guys, it's been a while, but I am in need of a bass amp to keep up with my band. I am a rhythm guitar player, but I am filling in on bass for a short time. I have a Peavey TKO 115 but it lacks the headroom to keep up without plugging in to the PA for rehearsals. Can you guys give me some size requirements, etc on what will work better?

I'm struggling here because my little 18 watt Dr.Z is barely on and screams with guitar. I'm very new to this, so your advice is appreciated! Thank you.

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

TKO is a fairly powerfull amp, so you must be letting it rip. It take like 4 times the power to double the volume. I would be shopping craigslist. I can live with most bass amps in good working order. I am actually more picky to get good speakers and.....there is nothing at all wrong with going to the PA, in fact if what you are playing is so loud the TKO is not big enough, that is probably the way I would go.

Your rehersals must be pretty loud, another option is to turn it down.

3. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I second that. Try turning down and save your ears and money.

4. trailboss

trailboss Tele-Meister

Izzit in ancient TKO or one of the new models? Older ones should have powered/external speaker jack on the back, and will pull a total load of 2 ohms. So, you could basically plug in any 8 or 4 ohm cab as a powered extension. Easier and cheaper is to put the amp on a chair. Your main culprit is probably that the speaker is aimed at your knees and not your ears :) Also check the power rating. I played one last month (supplied backline) that was only 65 watts. Had to run it on "8" just to be barely heard.

5. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Acoustic B200 - can dial in a nice full sound with acoustic players in the living room and have volume to spare with a drummer on board for bar gigs if needed. It has a patch to PA if necessary. Short money, great value.

6. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

Thank you for all if the advice. I was being misleading when I said "not loud enough." The amp is loud enough, but it doesn't sound good turned up loud and the on board speaker protection light is on almost constantly at anything over 5 on the volume.

With all of this being said, I think I'm after more headroom. I don't intend to play it extremely loud, but want to feel the "power" of the instrument instead of just loud noise.

7. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've recently got a Behringer Ultrabass BX1800.

I've gigged it a couple times so far and am really pleased with it.

I was looking for something relatively compact but with a 15in speaker. This is rated at 180w, but I doubt that is true. Having said that, I've had no need to have it past 4 on the dial so far.

Good luck in your search.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

First of all how many watts is that TKO and how old is it. Peavey made a lot of TKO's.

Depending on how loud your band is (and it sounds like they may be fairly loud) I'd say as far as size goes a 200w 1x12" combo is about the smallest you'll find acceptable for full scale rehearsal and you may want even more than that for full gig.

Take a look at a tc electronic BG250. It's a very loud but excellent sounding 250w 1x15" combo with great features and it weighs just 35lbs. It's what I'm using now and I've yet to play a gig where I needed PA reinforcement with it yet it can be run that way if needed. Less than $400.

9. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

If the protection is on all the time, turn down the bass pot (a bit).
    "Bass eats power" ...

To recommend a good bass amp we would need to know how much you can / want to spend ...
    The power needed also depends on the music style, the drummer and the guitar equipment (brain of the guitar players). A 7 string heavy metal guitar can kill every bass. In this case you need to find a niche to be heard (which is mostly much higher than you think).

In "normal rock bands" mostly the punch (low mids) make the good sound - not the bass. The bass has to hit the stomach and balls - not the feet ...
    These frequencies also need less power ...

If you are not satisfied with the sound - don't only blame it on the amp!
    Except the player himself, the strings make a lot of the bass sound! Playing Reggae or Motown with roundwounds makes no sense. Playing Funk with flatwounds makes no sense. A set of halfround strings MIGHT solve your problem (and turning down the bass pot 50%). These are expensive but last for 5 or 10 years (a friend has his halfrounds on the bass for 19 years now) ...

Try to explain what you need, what you are missing, which music you play, which budget you have +++

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.