1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Basketball - Eliminate the 3 point shot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Feb 26, 2021.

Eliminate 3 pointer?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

106 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

It’s becoming relatively common in the NBA. To be honest I don’t watch much college or prep sports anymore.

2. naveed211

Agreed. Steph Curry revolutionized the game because it made anyone with below average height (for the game, not in every day life) have a chance to impact the game in a big way.

Not sure why guys like Mark Price or Steve Kerr didn’t shoot it like 6 or 7 times a game from three (well, I know why Kerr didn’t), but it just wasn’t as accepted back then, otherwise these conversations would’ve been had much earlier. It was really an underutilized weapon up until this era, but evolution of the game is not inherently a negative.

But I’m also positive it can’t be the only thing. There will still be tall, big guys who can dominate and get buckets in the paint at will. They just might also be able to keep you honest from over 25 feet out, too.

3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The reason for the three-pointer was to give the “smaller” players a chance to score numbers like Chamberlin, et. al. Also it is designed to reduce the “crowd jammed under the hoop” game, and reward a more open game. Far from ruining the game, I think it saved the game. I Love the three point. Oddly, I’m not so fond of the three shot shooting foul in the 3-point zone. I thought the giving up a foul in exchange for killing a three point shot was worthwhile. And flagrant fouls would give the ball back to the offense.

Jhengsman and nickmsmith like this.
  4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

The 3 point shot "evens the field".

With players today being so freekin' big.... (7'+ is not uncommon now....and being that big was uncommon "back in the day"...)

This way the "normal" players can at least hone a skill to keep playing the game.

It gives the "little guy" (those under 6'9") a chance.

Love it in college ball.

RoscoeElegante and naveed211 like this.
  5. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I’m far more disappointed by what young players are learning and emulating in terms of steps after the dribble — whether that’s too many steps towards the basket or a shuffling step back — than I am in their embrace of deep threes.

If guys can hit the long ball with consistency I have no issue with them forcing the defense to play tight that far out. What drives me bananas is seeing guys taking three and four clear steps after picking up the dribble. It was laughable at first when it was just the occasional Wade or LeBron exaggerated Eurostep, but guys like Harden are taking it from laughable to unwatchable.

6. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

In European basketball 3 point shooters have been a deadly weapon for decades. It is also true that traditionally EU basketball and NBA basketball are quite different. In NBA it is more about strength, physical domination, dunking, speed (shoot and run), while EU basketball has traditionally always been more about tactics and shooting where also smaller guys can be big threat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    uriah1 likes this.
  7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

GOD! How old are you, people? o_O

I'm 44 and I cannot remember not having 3-pointers in basketball. Thank you for making me feel young! :lol:

8. naveed211

Yup, Hardenisms are really what’s awful for the game.

The “gather” step is becoming quite contentious. That you can pick up your dribble, and then also take a leap backwards or to the side to avoid a defender is pretty ridiculous.

But yet god forbid they get too close to you, then just make sure you crumple like you’ve been shot and you’ll get three free throws.

El Serio and ataylor like this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I can't see one way in which basketball would be MORE fun to watch without 3 pointers. bunch of driving to the basket. It would become purely layup ball, with the defense mostly squatting near the basket.

The NBA's problem is not with the sport itself. It's more to do with the personalities involved, the amount of games, etc.

It's just not as big of a deal as it used to be. As a kid in the 90s.. everyone cared. And I live in a college BBall area, not NBA.

Lawdawg and El Serio like this.
  10. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I’ll add that it would be interesting to take some of the stars I grew up watching and see who would thrive in today’s analytics-driven, three-ball-heavy, less-physical-but-more-zone-friendly-defensive league. I think guys like Bird, Jordan, Stockton, Reggie Miller, Mark Price, would have absolutely thrived, whereas I’m not so sure about big guys with less range on both sides of the floor.

nickmsmith and uriah1 like this.
  11. naveed211

I’d be interested to see Bird, Stockton and Price. The level of athleticism now is unparalleled from what it’s ever been. True, it’s not as physical comparatively, but the game is a lot faster and guys are clearly more athletic.

I think they’d have a really hard time keeping up. Unless they incorporated some Harden step backs into their game, that is!

ataylor likes this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

overall, the last 8 or so years have reshaped basketball in a great way. I love passing and team defense, I love that they allow the zone now and I love the help helper stuff teams do on defense. What is cool is the best defensive teams still win the championships.

I also love that stuff that we would have been benched for (cross court passes, 40 footers) are now a key part of the game. I much prefer how the game is now (even with the few annoying parts) to the era of just huge guys banging (the 90's) like when the Pistons were great. I think if the rules were like they are now, the era of Magic and Bird would have been even more exciting.

My favorite era--> when Wilt, Russell, Nate Thurmond, Bob Lanier, Willis Reed, Walt Bellamy etc were the center of things and great guards like West and Robertson etc ran the show... great stuff.. but, man, I love the game today.. it is really really full of dazzle but full of incredible shooting and slashing and defenses that are complex and athletic and the more you learn how they work and can 'see' it... the cooler modern basketball is.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Most people would agree that making 50% of your field goals is a pretty good average. If you make 33.3% of your three-point shots, you score the equivalent number of points hitting 50% of your two point shots. If a team or league averages better than 33.3% of made three-point shots, they are beating the odds, and the line needs to be moved out, which is what the NCAA has done. However, there is some point at which the line will be as far out to the side as it can go. Perhaps widening the court to accommodate may be what's needed.

The other thing that the three-point shot has done is spread the floor, which keeps defenses from collapsing onto the inside players and allows for more diving to the basket, but also, more one-on-one offense, which the NBA has become. As it is now in college (I don't watch pro-basketball, anymore), it has become an inside out game and very predictable. If you can't hit the three-point shot, as a team, you're screwed.

IMO, the revenue sports are all screwed up, esp. college basketball. I think the one-and-done option has diluted the talent in both college and pro basketball, but at the same time, I don't agree that college players should not be sharing in the revenues they generate. Money ruins everything.

nickmsmith likes this.
  14. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I think 3-pointers are Grrrrreat! They are almost as good as getting 1 point for a missed field goal in football.:eek:

Silent Otto and uriah1 like this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay...so eliminate the 3-pointer but institute a 1-point score for anything within ten feet??????
    I like the three pointer.

DekeDog, ale.istotle and unixfish like this.
  16. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Actually some would have been a torture.

I'm pretty sure Olajuwon or Ewing would be able to stretch, even Malone with his high post, or think Bill Laimbeer.

Don't forget that Giannis is a double MVP.

I think that everyone who dominate in an Era would dominate in an another, in a different way, but still dominant.

You often see Harden or LeBron being locked for flopping and saying they wouldn't survive in late 80's 90's. Of course they would, but with less flop and a more physical approach.

ataylor likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Disagree. I think "the original intent of the game" was to shoot the ball through the hoop, and the further away you could learn to do that the better. The layup while crashing through players, and on the edge of traveling is highly suspect if you ask me.

18. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Oh, I don’t doubt most stars from any era could adapt to a later or earlier style. What I’m pointing out is that some players’ games would have been more easily adaptable given their style of play and skill set. Some perhaps even better-suited.

19. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Eliminate the dunk. That would bring real skill back to basketball.

Controller likes this.
  20. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Yes undoubtful in both past player and present player !

ataylor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.