1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Basketball - Eliminate the 3 point shot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Feb 26, 2021.

Eliminate 3 pointer?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. No

106 vote(s)
    83.5%
  1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think I am getting more curmudgeon every day. That said, I think the 3 pointer
    ruined basketball. You would never see old greats (Chamberlin, Bird or Russel) take a
    couple of steps from the middle of the court and shoot. They would work routines
    and steps to get in close, or turn around and jump.

I think it took away from some of the original intent of the game. The next thing is
    everyone will line up on other side of the court and shoot from net to net
    until the game is over. lol..but, that is how it feels.

So let's see.

2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

How about two-point goals if shot from behind the centerline? But only if the goalie has not been pulled.

RoscoeElegante and uriah1 like this.
  3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Disagree. I think it spiced up the game considerably.

4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Wasn't it added to make the game more exciting when folks couldn't do it? Then, of course, everyone specialized in it.

I watch car racing, they tweak the rules all the time. I then realized that other sports do it too for similar reasons.

Dereksys38, drlucky, getbent and 2 others like this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait....I thought this was a basketball thread.:rolleyes:

Dereksys38 likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Three point line? 3 points.
    Behind the center line? 4 point.
    Behind the opposite 3 point line? 5 points.
    From the lock room? 6 points.
    From the parking lot? 7 points.
    From the next county over? 8 points.
    From the next state over? 9 point.
    From Mexico or Canada? 10 points.
    From Europe or Asia? 11 points.
    From the moon? 12 points.
    From... :lol::lol::lol:

I like the 3 point rule; it pulls the defense out a bit, and gives the opportunity for high point shots from lower percentage areas. Wouldn't eliminating this condense the game to closer to the hoop?

Just a casual fan who does not watch much basketball, so take this opinion for what it's worth. Nothing.

7. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Originaly post play was almost impossible due to huge severity in offensive foul.

There's not any reason for NBA to change to go for pre-ABA-NBA fusion style.

ViciousDoctor and beninma like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I played in high school with a guy who had the nicest looking 3-point shot you could ask for.

Too bad there was no 3-point line yet.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I (now) watch a lot of NBA

(Note: long-suffering Washington Wizards fan- I learned everything I know about B-ball from our 35 year old son AND my wife, who played on HS team)

and I really only know the sport with the 3-point shot ( unlike many, I never played attention in my younger days) and I love it!
    - just for the drama of watching those long shots...Especially when your team has good 3-pointers, we do! ( sometimes)

But I can see how it changed the game, and can understand how many may not be happy with it. That it has replaced other skills.

So just me blabbing w/o an opinion-I voted " NO," but I could go with or w/o as a fan and still enjoy the game...

Edit - I will always be a lightweight when it comes to real knowledge/depth of any Sport; but I do really enjoy watching all, and we are loyal DC-Pro teams fans across the board
    And the Wizards have actually just WON 6 out of 7 games, and I am pumped! IF only for the moment!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Disagree.

However, I think it’s ruined when refs are overprotective of three point shooters. Thus you have guys collapsing to the ground every time they shoot with a defender within five feet of them trying to draw a foul and getting rewarded.

I’d be fine if they moved the line back a bit to adjust with the changing game, though it’s already really close to the sideline in the corners on an NBA court, don’t know how you move that back.

P Thought, dented, ataylor and 2 others like this.
  11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good point. 3 point shot, and if a defender touches you taking it, you have the opportunity for a foul shot to make it a 4 point play. From what I remember, I don't think that happens very often, so shooter have to "ham it up" for effect.

12. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

No, I wouldn't eliminate 3 pointers but there are some other rules I wouldn't mind changing.

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I really think the three pointer was a great addition. What I have always thought they should do is eliminate the dunk. A seven foot plus guy with four foot long arms dunking a ball through a 10 foot basket is just boring. Be much more surprising if they couldn’t do so. Takes very little athletic ability. A three pointer takes great hand eye coordination in comparison and is much more like the game was designed to be.

14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Having to defend the three opens up the floor for all the spectacular inside moves you see today. The game has changed a lot in just the past few years. Much harder to tell the positions apart.

And they switch everything on defense, so players have to be much more skilled at guarding everything from centers to small guards. That switching is somewhat the result of having to guard the three.

15. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

The NBA is for highlights, and I guarantee most of today's basketball fans would be bored by a Wilt Chamberlain game. There's a reason why Tim Duncan, perhaps the best power forward of all time, was nowhere near as popular as say, Steph Curry.

16. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

I say eliminate it. Unless they want to allow defense again (handchecks), then keep it. I find the current brand of NBA ball unwatchable

17. El Serio

El Serio TDPRI Member

Also make officiating equal. Foul calls for no-name players should work the same way as for stars

unixfish, televillian and uriah1 like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have no problem with 3 point shots, especially in college basketball. In fact I like them. What slows the game, and is frankly annoying, are the intentional fouls committed by the team behind in score at the end of the game. I’ve seen intentional fouls close the spread, which is important only to bettors, but I’ve never seen it change the outcome. Intentional fouls can be eliminated if the team that is intentionally fouled retains possession after the foul shots. Poof. Incentive gone.

gpilgrim, uriah1 and El Serio like this.
  19. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

If you take away 3 pointers, you take away a lot from smaller guys (point guards and shooting guards) who are usually better long range shooters than bigger guys (there are/were of course some good 3 point shooters who are pretty tall like Dirk Nowitzki). I also think that 2 point and 3 point system gives a lot to the dynamics of game - like when a team that is behind for 12 points and then gets 3 consecutive 3 pointers is only 3 points behind. It is very interesting.

ViciousDoctor, dented and JL_LI like this.
  20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I wish they had it for "Pistol" Pete Maravich & "Downtown" Freddie Brown.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.