Basic tube pinout/construction

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by W.L.Weller, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I'm thinking about building a single-ended tube amp that'll use a 7591A power tube (because I already have a half-dozen, and an amp using a pair of them configured push-pull) (and I have a different single-ended 6V6 amp already).

My question is about the difference between the pinout of the 7591A and the 6CA7(EL34).

On a 7591A (and for that matter a 6L6), the G3 and K internal connections share a pin.

On a 6CA7, the G3 connection and K connection are separate pins.

Looking at the ur-text of SE amp circuits, (not actually, since the ur-text would use octal preamp tubes etc), the 5F1, I only see (non-heater) connections to the anode, two (2) grids, and the cathode. The 6V6 and 6L6 have an identical pinout, and while the 7591A does not match 1:1, it shares the internal connection between G3 and the cathode in common with those tubes.

The 6CA7, alternatively, uses pin 1 as the connection to the third grid, and pin 8 as the connection to the cathode.

Obviously, you can not plug a 6L6, 7591, or 6CA7 into a socket wired for one of those tubes specifically.

My question is whether changing a single-ended circuit designed for a 6CA7 to use a 7591A involves accounting for the G3, K difference specifically, outside of the pinout differences.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One can plug a 6L6/6V6/7591 tube into a socket that is prepared for an EL34. One cannot plug a 6CA7/EL34 type of tube into a socket prepared for a 6L6 type of pinout IF that socket is wired to use pin 1 as a contact point for another purpose as with a Fender that places the 1500ohm control grid stopper resistor on pin 1 to feed the control grid at pin 5. When one wants to run an EL34 in a Fender amp, one has to reroute that bias voltage feed in order to clear that pin 1 for the connection from pin 1 to pin 8.
    The connection to G3 is thereby made good for the 6CA7/EL34, and pin 1 is empty in the 6L6 so that jumper from pin 1 to pin 8 is of no effect with a Beam tetrode type of tube.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    W.L.Weller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.