1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Basement rock station questions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ozcal, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

I m stoked to finally have a place where i can turn my amps up and have fun playing... currently have a nice little set up in the unfinished basement of our house... in winter the temp is 45 / 50 deg F with humidity of 40 / 50 %.... summer sees the humidity stay about the same but the temps come up to about 70 or 75 deg F...

My understanding is that i m in the correct humidity range but is the temp ok ?? I m concerned about the guitars and amps... no real concern with flooding but i guess there is always a chance...

I know i don t want to bring the guitars up from temps in the mid 40 s up to a room that is 70 +...

Whaddya reckon ???

2. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

add a small electric heater, the kind with a fan?

Rocky058 and ozcal like this.
  4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

You can get free pallets from businesses that get a lot of incoming palletized shipping if you ask around. You could set your gear up on those so that if you get any flooding it doesn’t cause immediate disaster.

As for temperature, I suspect that you’ll mind those lows before your gear does. Portable heaters are inexpensive. And a wall-mounted hygrometer wouldn’t cost much.

ozcal likes this.
  5. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Our basement is maybe a tad warmer, but not much. I think a consistent temperature is more important than being warm. Sudden changes are what cause damage or issues. I just turn on a decent space heater when I play!

stevemc, Alamo, driver8 and 2 others like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

You are fine at 45 degrees for amps. Humidity is a worse issue... mostly just to the extent that you may have scratchy pots until things warm up well. Mine are out in unheated space in winter.
    Guitars keep in the living area.

ozcal likes this.
  7. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

yeah, most of the amps are off the ground on some old german beer crates with a slab of nice ponderosa pine supporting them... the floor has a drain so i m not overly concerned with flooding...

i have a small thermo / hygrometer down there that i keep a check on things with... the temp doesn t bother me, infact 45 F here is getting pretty close to t shirt weather... more so concerned about the guitars and the cold...

Steerforth likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Guitars and amps are most comfortable in the same conditions that most humans find comfortable.

Excessive humidity not only corrodes transformers and causes tracking in circuits, it softens the covering glue on older amps, and the covering peels off. Excessive humidity also softens paper in speaker cones and can loosen the adhesives in vintage speakers. This is why many amps stored in damp basements commonly blow their speakers.

StevesBoogie, ozcal and djh22 like this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I usually dont worry about humidity except with my acoustics.
    but that is me.

ozcal likes this.
  10. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I don’t store anything I care about in a basement.

Capgun

P Thought, unfamous and ozcal like this.
  11. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Dehumidifier, stable temperature, hygrometer, get stuff off the floor as been said.

ozcal likes this.
  12. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

so 40 - 50 % RH is too high ?? how about all the folks that live in the south etc where humidity is in the 80 - 90 % mark a lot of the time...

13. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

You need a rug on the floor - carpeting doesn't do too much for the room environment, but it makes everything feel better.

stevemc, radiocaster and ozcal like this.
  14. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

good call... since the photo was taken i ve thrown down an old rug... definitely better

radiocaster likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You will want sound traps on the walls or you'll blast your ears out.

Could be hanging up those thick moving blankets, or constructing 1x4 frames to fit 'shredded jeans' insulation bats with 'burlap' over them. Some spend big money on the egg-crate foam but the DIY boxes do better on tests.

ozcal likes this.
  16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First of all, very cool set up!

When wood and electronics experience temperature change, you can get condensation, the wood can expand and conrtract faster than the wood thus, leading to cracks in the finish.

I'd seriously get some heat down there.
    Try to bring it up to at least 60f.

Convection Eletric heat does a great job using far less electricity than the fan forced models.

ozcal likes this.
  17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Maybe if you leave the amps on 24/7 it will warm up a couple of degrees by late spring? :D

Yeah, I have one of those low profile electric heaters in a cold basement room, just to "take the edge off"
    Bonus- dead silent operation.

ozcal likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 Tele-Meister

Agree on a little heat. Once you start firing things up and they get warm you could run into some internal condensation issues. Just to be safe. Not sure I'd leave any guitars down there. I would look into something that uses radiant heat as opposed to a fan. Radiant heat will actually heat the objects, much like the sun, as opposed to the air. It is more efficient and less drafty. Only my two cents, so I won't tell anyone here they're wrong. I've seen gear in some horrific environments that appear to perform fine. I just wouldn't feel totally right doing it if it was my stuff.

ozcal likes this.
  19. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

wouldn t it be more of a concern taking the guitars from upstairs to downstairs where there is a pretty good temp and humidity difference ?? upstairs is typically 68 deg F and 30 % RH... taking the guitars downstairs would see a 20 degree temp drop in seconds... i know one thing... my guitars stay in tune down there..

just checked this morning... 47 F / 50 % RH down there..

thanks to everyone for the responses !!

Geo likes this.
  20. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

ozcal likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.