Basement find- Mystery Banjo

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jsil13, Jul 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

So I work part time at a music store and our basement is a cluttered mess. For fun sometimes I like to rummage through things and occasionally find some cool stuff. Last year I found a weird Japanese Marvel guitar that my boss didn't even know was down there. Well today in a smelly musty gig bag I found a weird open back banjo.
    77D8B482-7B52-4A50-9BDD-68E5A86255E1.jpeg B6115894-D6BD-4131-AEBC-4B8D5D820952.jpeg E8743F95-C81C-4AD4-BD35-CFDA28E9DFCB.jpeg

Now I don't play banjo (yet) and this one desperately needs to be cleaned and have some work done to make it playable, but I brought it home anyway. I mean look at how crazy that headstock is. I have no idea of the make or the year. So far I've just done a rudimentary cleaning and tuned it up to mess around. The tuners jump so quickly. Like an 8th of a turn will jump a whole step. I might ask my tech if he has any better tuners laying around. It also needs a new head. But the most pressing thing is resetting the neck to bring the action to a more comfortable level. It's a nice little project for me. I've only played banjo in the studio and typically with a capo and a chord chart, so it will be cool to have one readily available for stuff that I need one on.

Any ideas as to who made it?

preactor, Artslap, lewis and 2 others like this.
  2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Bonus Picture of the old Marvel guitar after I cleaned it up. Those awesome looking toggle switches are in a bad location and I kept shutting off the pickups while playing, so I ended up just taping the bridge pickup into the on position.
    43290987_10217205736799359_990291386827800576_n.jpg

clayville, preactor, Artslap and 4 others like this.
  3. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

I'm guessing its from the 20's. I have an old tenor banjo from that era which has a superficial resemblance to yours. Those old friction tuners are a pain. There are modern geared replacements. Gotohs are highly rated. There are tutorials on the web about adjusting the dowel stick which sets the neck angle. Post some pictures on Banjo Hangout and you might get some responses. Good luck!

Jsil13 likes this.
  4. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

That's a Green Pastures model made briefly by the Oxnard Instrument Co in Riceville, Maine. Their experiments & investments in steam-powered dulcimers led to a quick demise.

;) Just kidding. I have no idea.

Steve Holt, joealso, MDent77 and 3 others like this.
  5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Thank you. I've already been looking at replacing the tuners. Stewmac has some Grovers that got pretty good reviews for the price. I use Gotoh tuners on all my guitar builds and they're great so I'll look into those too.

The dowel is missing the bracket with the pin that goes through the dowel. SM sells those too. So it looks like to get this thing playing with nice action and some tuning stability it'll need some tuners, that bracket, and a new skin. Even with what I paid for it ($30) I should be able to keep the overall budget around $150. Not bad.

Paul in Colorado and howardlo like this.
  6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I'm not really worried about what it is anyway. I just want to get it up and running so I can annoy my neighbors.

Matt G, preactor and boop like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Oh, they will be annoyed.
    Rest assured, they will be.

8. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Man, how close are your neighbors?
    I play banjo and doubt that the neighbors even know I play it. Maybe if I played it outside they might hear it.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Get a copy of Bob Carlin's "Fiddle Tunes for Clawhammer Banjo".

cyclopean and Jsil13 like this.
  10. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

It may annoy anyone else in the house.

My son came by and gave me a Resonator Banjo he picked up at an Estate Sale. I never did identify a manufacturer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It came with a thumbpick and metal fingerpicks but using those it projected way too loud for my wife. Hah She is very supportive of me taking time for music - but found the tonality of this instrument unpleasant. :) I discarded the fingerpicks and just used my fingers. A warmer tone. I sat and experimented with it for nearly an entire Saturday. I found the small fingerboard a bear to try and navigate on. (Recorded this simple progression that Saturday) I need to develop my fingerpicking technique. Ugh.

Good luck with yours!

howardlo, Matt G and Jsil13 like this.
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not a single banjo joke to this point ???
    C'mon people !!!

12. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Know how to keep a banjo player from choking to death? ........take your foot off his neck!

preactor likes this.
  13. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Not that close, but for whatever reason when I imagine playing the banjo it's on the porch outside for some reason. I play acoustic out there all the time and I'm not sure if they notice or care.
    I'm a guitar finger picker too and that's how I plan to approach the banjo. What's annoying me now is the high droning string being where I'm used to the lowest string, so instead of getting my bass note I'm getting that high string. Right now I'm just looking at chord shapes and working out some of my tunes. I still need to do some serious work to this thing to make it enjoyable to play. Well enjoyable to me anyway.

howardlo and MDent77 like this.
  14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd recommend taking a few lessons to get started, especially for the right hand stuff depending on if you're going to use picks or play clawhammer style. I guess the dividing line is between Pete Seegar and Earl Scruggs.

I play some Irish stuff on a tenor banjo, but never got into five string.

cyclopean likes this.
  15. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

I'm a little confused on it. The head stock looks old, but the underside and dowel look to be relatively modern. Usually the really old ones seem to look really ornate all around.

16. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

how do you figure that?

17. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Headstock was reshaped. Its a Harmony, with the bakelite resonator, and an earlier one with the round dowel stick. I suspect the headstock was damaged, or, when someone attempted to drill out the friction pegs to add those planetarys, they damaged it and had to go narrower to drill new holes in fresh wood.

Matt G and Jsil13 like this.
  19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Awesome. I'll have to check those out. The headstock is real thin in the middle. When I go to replace the tuners I may add a piece of steel to reinforce the center to make sure the top of the headstock doesn't break off.
    I don't plan on taking it too seriously, just for noodling and when the band needs something on a track. I will probably track down some DVD's or youtube videos to help me figure some stuff out.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This could be the opening to a Stephen King horror novel: you unexpectedly find a banjo in the basement :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.