Based On Tone Only. Your 5 LESS Favorite Elec. Guitarists.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by El Marin, May 26, 2021.

1. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

God bless Steve Lukather, he was and still is a great guitarist and a major influence on me. However, his tone for the last ten-twelve years has been:

[​IMG]

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I guess all this proves is how subjective our tone tastes are. I agree with many here, but there are also some exceptions. For instance, by and large, I like the sound of Neil Young's guitar work. And, I like the guitar in that Grand Funk clip.

Oh well...

Pax/
    Dean

miguelalmeida likes this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, any metal band, or similar genre. I just.... Meh!

4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

no I don't .
    I'm a simple guy .
    A.) I'm feelin' it
    B.) I'm not feeling it.

5. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Ernie Iseley
    Robbie Robertson
    Y Malmstein
    Joe Satriani
    Kurt Cobain

6. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Can someone explain why people don't like Robbie Robertson's tone? Third time I've read that this week!
    Izzit during or after the Band? Cuz I loved his guitar during his time with The Band. Don't know much about what he did after, except maybe Lazy River. That wasn't objectionable...

telemnemonics and black_doug like this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Wow...the first three would definitely be on my list, too. And, I won't put up a strong defense of the other two, either.

telemnemonics and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Really only one comes to mind for me...AND, I'm a bit "butt hurt" with some you listed...geez Mark Knopfler!? That's harsh!
    Jerry Garcia

Mr powers and Frontier9 like this.
  9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I could not disagree more.

Mark Farner's guitar tones on the Red Album are killer-good.
    But that's just me.

I love those tones.

;)

10. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Holic

Right, just the tone. I was still surprised because I like his tone. What I've figured out from reading this thread and the other about favorite guitarists based on tone is that some people don't like how processed Gilmour's tone is, or how processed Eric Johnson's tone is. That is what I didn't understand previously. I get it now. I have a different opinion, but like I mentioned, I definitely enjoy the alternate perspective.

11. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

That's the joy of this thread... not bashing how he/she plays, just tone

I don't like procesed tones and Strat tones... as I see

I voted John Mclauglin... I like his music, love The Mahavishnu, but don't like his tone at all...

Ypu may like it, I don't... that's fine

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Holic

There's two that immediately come to mind for me: Randy Rhoads and Alex Lifeson. Now I'm talking strictly tone. I think they are(were) both incredible players and were a huge influence to me. I cut my chops learning the tabs to the two Randy/Ozzy albums and have been a Rush fan my entire life.

Randy's tone always sounded like a cheap distortion pedal. It has this constant midrange schreek that is so intense that is doesn't even change with the pitch.

I never cared for Alex's studio tone. It always seemed like he didn't have enough gain. The parts he was playing were really intense and would have sounded better with a heavier tone. However, I consider his tone on All the World's a Stage to be one of the best guitar tones ever recorded.

13. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Neil Young
    Jerry Garcia
    Roy Buchanon
    Steve Vai
    John Frusciante

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm having a hard time making sense of this thread, keep reading the OP then various posts and back to the OP.
    Don't like tone is one thing but "awful tone" is a high standard for low grade tones!
    Joking?
    Lost in translation?
    Kids today?
    Get off my lawn?

Your list is at least somewhat sensible to me, there are identifiable "issues" with their tones that I cannot attribute to taste.
    Frusciante maybe has tones I haven't heard though, I like his tones on Californication and think he sounded better in those tunes than his later replacements.
    But I guess he did some strange stuff later in his own projects.

How about later Johnny Winter?
    I'd swap Frusciante off and put Winter on and use that list.
    And McLaughlin?
    Surely you don't like HIS tone young man???

I'm going back in now to look for more signs of sense in this thread...

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So Vai I see as tone I don't care for and maybe should be more interesting and personal for his playing level.
    The others aside from John F I agree as well.

But I don't know what Frusciante tones keep winning here as bad tone?
    I hear much of his playing with RHCP as a bit primitive, and more than half their songs I skip right past because of the whole damn band, but on the songs I like I think his tone complements the music and is well crafted and controlled.
    Must be he did other stuff I'm not familiar with.

Are posters who don't like his tone referring to these tones?

The second tune I can see quibbling over the tone, but it's a basic honest guitar tone and fits the song.

16. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Afflicted

As many have pointed out, context is vital, there's really no right or wrong involved, and there are different ways of looking at things. As an example, I'll go back to my "like" tone list (in the interest of keeping things positive). The first two that came to mind for me were Mary Halvorson and Martin Taylor, for very different reasons. I like what I'll call, for lack of the sense that God gave geese, Halvorson's basic tone a lot, mostly for its clarity, but she made the list because of all the marvelous ways she's used tone, in all its possible variations and a few impossible, in ensemble contexts. Taylor, on the other hand- well, the first time I heard his "Solo" album I tried to jump through the speaker to steal his guitar, just flat out gorgeous. It doesn't hurt that he's a fantastic player- the best in the world, by many peoples' lights- but I just want that sound. Other criteria might be all over the globe- you might like a tone because it cut through noise effectively, because it combined well with a particular voice or instrument, because it reminded you of something you liked- the possible criteria are endless. The speaker thing didn't work, by the way, and I can't really recommend it.

El Marin likes this.
  17. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Mark Knopfler?
    I finally had a strat I liked when I was able to get close to his tone.
    Geez. Tough room.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    El Marin and telemnemonics like this.
  18. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Nigel Tufnel. Hack.

The real answer is Roy Buchanan.

Edit: is this the record for "worst ____" post going without getting the Axe?

19. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean Steve Howe? Between his work as a member of Yes and his work as a member of Asia, I think he covers quite a bit of ground. To my ears, he is a gifted player whose tone suits songs well and does not bore me with obnoxious, unnecessary lead overkill or thousand note hammerings.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I get what you are saying about Frusciante picking a tone to fit the song, but I just wished he had selected a better tone. Not sure what his set-up is, but the guitar in both of those songs could have sounded much better IMO. Irritating to me.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.