Baseball-themed tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Aug 16, 2013.

1. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Thats Bocote you're using for a fretboard, right? Have you noticed it smells like dill pickles when being cut/sanded?

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

It does have a distinctive smell, and now that you mention it, yeah. It does smell a little like dill pickles :lol:.

I didn't get much done tonight, but I did get the tuner holes drilled and started carving the neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll work on it a little more tomorrow and should have the neck completely carved by Wednesday evening. Then I'll get the frets installed and start applying finish on Thursday.

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Those are some serious neck shaping tools !

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:D Ha! That's funny, exactly what I was thinking--like, that's what you've got laid out in the interrogation room when you bring in the captured spy to get him to talk. Implies, "these potent-looking chunks of sharp steel are for you, if you don't cooperate". I still have to work up the courage to apply the drawknife to a neck--I should practice on some scrap wood or 2by's so I get some confidence and competence with it.

5. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

I thought it smelled kind of like ketchup when i used it

6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Nothing teaches competence quicker than practicing on what will be your finished piece of wood :D. Kidding of course but it tends to make you focus a bit more and think twice before cutting. And it's taught me that mahogany sometimes burns a little blue in the fireplace :rolleyes:.

7. RogerC

:lol: I actually didn't use the draw knife at all. I used to use it, but now that I start by getting my taper and initial bevel done on the router table, I don't need to use it anymore.

here's what I've done over the past couple of days. First, I finished up with the neck carve.

[​IMG]

Then I decided to go ahead and and resand the fretboard. There were some divots up by the nut left from the radius process. I'm glad I did it because it cleaned up the inlay a little more.

[​IMG]

Once that was done, I got the frets installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to get the pine tar on. Here's the idea I was shooting for.

[​IMG]

I started by shooting a couple coats of Deft onto the neck.

[​IMG]

Then I mixed up a really strong batch of tobacco brown and applied it to a rag. Then I just started applying it like a batter would with a pine tar rag.

[​IMG]

The problem is that the dye is much more liquid than pine tar, so it didn't quite have the splotchiness. I then took rag and applied straight denatured alcohol to remove it in areas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that's a pretty good approximation. I'd welcome some thoughts, though.

8. Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson Tele-Meister

I think that's a pretty good approximation. I'd welcome some thoughts, though.[/QUOTE]

looks like it sat in the corner of a dugout, for about ten years, and had Levi Garrett spit all over it.

it's perfect!:cool:

9. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Looks good, great execution of the theme. As usual!

10. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

George Brett would be proud :)

11. RogerC

Thanks, Brian.

Thanks a bunch, axedaddy.

:lol: I measured. It's less than 18" :lol:

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It's perfect Rog! Get a nice dark amber on the top and it will be perfect. Really well done.

Rob

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Late to the party, but yes, Rog, perfecto! Ball players picking it up will be puzzled why it isn't sticky! Any way you can stick some sunflower seeds on it?:D

14. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Nice!

15. crazygtr

crazygtr TDPRI Member

That's a really nice effect, I would do an entire neck like that.

16. RogerC

Thanks, Rob. I'll shoot a few more coats of lacquer and then see about hitting it with some vintage maple that I have.

:lol: Thanks, Rick.

Thanks, Eric.

Thanks, gtr.

17. RogerC

Also, now I'm kind of conflicted. I'm happy because the Cards made it to the World Series, but now there's a chance that Matt won't be able to make it to the charity event. It's schedule for November 2, which would be the Saturday right after game 7. Let's just hope the Cards sweep :lol:.

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I'm loving the build Roger. Maybe I missed it, did you ever figure out a pickup ring?
    A baseball cap visor maybe?
    No worries, you should be able to do the event, the Red Sox will sweep to keep you on schedule...::p:
    Honestly, this is uber impressive, thank you for sharing!

19. RogerC

Thanks, Chris. I ended up just ordering a black pickup ring. I tried making one from more bocote, but it just wasn't turning out well, and I didn't want to spend any more time on it. This has to be done this week so I can get the beauty shots before the event next weekend

So for today's work, I thought Rob had a great idea with working some amber on the rest of the neck. I don't have any spray equipment at all, so I found some of this at Lowe's today.

[​IMG]

And did this with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to decide of I want to spray more Deft clear on top, or just do some final steel wool buffing. I'm leaning toward buffing only.

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Rog,

I believe shellac is severely affected by moisture. Everyone I know who uses it ends up sealing it with top coats of clear lacquer.

Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.