Baseball, RIP

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Baseball is the one sport I watch religiously. I’ve been a Mets fan since 9 yrs old in 1985, and am enjoying their current resurgence. Great starting pitching and a young core of 5-6 position players. If they can get a more consistent out of the pen, I like their chances for a wildcard.

It’s a different game than when I played it in terms of stats, shifts, pitch counts, lack of hit and runs, bunting, and stealing. But, it’s my favorite sport.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I like seeing pitchers hit. Some are better than others but it's fun to see them when they can actually drive in runs.

3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

What is this? Go who? Who are these little bears? Cubs?

To say the phrase correctly: Cardinals ROCK!

That is why baseball will survive.

FYI: I just checked and the Cubs are a half game ahead of the Cardinals after today’s games. We will know who wins the NLC on the last game of the season. Even the talking heads are shrugging their shoulders and saying it is too close to call.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    scrapyardblue and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Nah, that’s what the AL choose. The NL said “No way!! Pitchers bat.” I’m old school, so I’m with the NL.

I wonder what “The Babe” would have said about it.:eek::D

It actually spices up the game, especially in inter-league play.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Mike Eskimo and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m a Tigers fan and have been for about 60 years. We sure are in a bad place right now but hey, they beat the Astros last night against Verlander and I’ll be damned if I didn’t watch and cheer, and I thought I’d given up. I watched again tonight. Sometimes it’s good to just sit back and say “Well, they’re just a spoiler”.

If you like baseball you’ll realize that once again the obituary is premature . It’ll outlast me and no, I don’t like the shift but it’s just a ‘thang’.

6. Stringbanger

Baseball is not going to go away any time soon, despite what the naysayers say.

I just wish I would see more kids in that vacant lot, throwing the bat and fisting it to the rim, and saying, “We got first bats!”

Change.

getbent likes this.
  7. Stringbanger

Bless your soul!:D

dented, Mike Eskimo and scrapyardblue like this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

The shift? That's nothing new. I'm old enough to remember when it was used against Ted Williams.

Tommy Biggs, Stubee, getbent and 2 others like this.
  9. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

The long ball is the name of the game. The prominence of the shift isn't ruining the game, it's just exposed a whole bunch of power hitters trying to pull an outside pitch. The game will correct itself once the hitters relearn the art.

dented and getbent like this.
  10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I'm right there with you, Stubee. It's going to be rough going for the next few years.

Mike Eskimo, Stubee and getbent like this.
  11. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

and that first basemen is likely making millions doing it. And there are dozens more reasons I haven't watched a game in about 8 years. Don't miss it at all. Frankly, the NBA, NFL and MLB could shut down tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice or care, and I grew up a die hard fan, for both football and baseball, and loved playing both.

Obsessed and lammie200 like this.
  12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

The minor league team in my mom and dad's town is experimenting (at the request of MLB...I think) with several new rules.
    1. Automated strike zone. Not sure of the technology used and whether or not the umpire still gets to holler out strikes with dramatic flair.
    2. The team in the field must have two infielders on either side of 2nd base.
    3. In extra innings, the team batting automatically gets a runner placed on second. Not sure where the runner comes from in the lineup...e.g. next batter up, manager's choice, etc.

dented and schmee like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I don't watch much baseball. Sometime watch LLWS though. I would be more baseball prone if they would take strike calling out of the hands of umpires. Those guys are egocentric, blind, biased and insist on making the game THEIR personal GAME! it just makes it hardly worth watching and they make up their own strike zones because they want to be in control. 10" outside the plate is often a strike. Across the breast is never a strike. It could be done readily with radar.

The other thing is force pitchers to "move along". In LL baseball or college soft ball they pitch right away. Like 3 pitches a minute often. Otherwise it's like watching grass grow.

LLWS has replay or challenge. Pro league ump's do the umping. I would say calls being overturned is somewhere in the 30- 50% range . Big league needs that also.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think mostly, the human mind and attention span has changed.

It can be hard to concentrate on a novel, or writing a song, watching a ball game or attending a concert when your house is on fire.

When I do finally earn a week off, free from all this nonsense, I crave total peace and quiet. Maybe the sounds of breezes in trees. When you're tired of working away in a quiet one man + secretary office arrangement, a ball game was a perfect switch. But if your life seems overwhelmed with People Behaving Badly, you want to get away from folks altogether. No foibles, no games please.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I like all of those... makes it more fun.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  16. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I used to watch a lot of baseball but as the years go by and my kids are more and more involved in activities of their own I find myself with less time to watch much of anything at all. I have a daughter on a 10u softball travel team and I get much more worked up over those games than I ever do watching MLB teams I've loved since I was a kid.

I would also rather go out and see our local semi-pro sub-minor league team play live than watch MLB on the tube. The teams are just college kids on their summer breaks. The games are free and are a great small town social gathering full of family and friends. The players don't get paid anything; they rely on business sponsorship and the players work the crowds with raffle buckets and they even do all the grounds work themselves. A lot of them come in to town from far away and stay with local families for the summer. Real Americana stuff...just the love of the game and getting reps following a dream.

17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I'm anything but a young fan, but I honestly can't stand the pace of baseball on television. I dislike it so much I don't watch it anymore. I still enjoy a game that isn't televised, watching in person, but put it on TV and I get really good naps...

VWAmTele likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

a kid (now a man) I coached in little league is now in the bigs. we watched him climb through the minors and were so excited when he got his first start... we have several still playing in college and in the minors and root like crazy for them... so, even though it is MLB, for us, it is super exciting and we are so glad for him and proud of him... he is a good kid (well, except for when he threw up in my son's room)

like a lot of stuff.. it is all proximity... whatever we are close to, we tend to care more about... and, i guess, gravity too... whatever we are drawn to. I don't know the rosters like I once did (and probably never will) that is more about me than the game though.

Stubee likes this.
  19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Baseball.

My last outing to see the local farm team
    I arrive with my two boys in white T-shirts for coolness and pass under the huge NO OUTSIDE FOOD sign on my way in. Got it. An older couple with their grandkids and suspiciously larger shoulder bags slid into the seats behind me. Sure enough they started unpacking hot dogs. A while later I'm watching the game when I hear a "sklorch!" and feel and impact and wetness on the back of my left shoulder. I turned as far as I could and couldn't see it, so I asked, "What was that?" The older gent behind me replied with obvious concern in his voice, "Oh, I AM sorry. That was mustard." He produced a paper napkin and with great industry attempted to blot the mustard from my white T-shirt, made VERY white by the efforts of my wife. When he was finished I pull my shirt forward to inspect his results. No joy. A big mustard stain. OK, I'm easy going. I pushed the shirt back and went back to watching the game.

"Sklorch!" Impact on right shoulder. Wetness. "What was that?" From behind, "Oh, I AM sorry. That was ketchup." I turned and caught him in his pose. He had the Heinz bottle up over his shoulder in his upraised hand, palm up, knife edge of the hand facing forward, nozzle two feet above and behind the upraised hot dog. He fussed over my shoulder industriously but I knew that the ketchup stain would stay.

The question that would be in everyone's head who saw me for the rest of the day would be, "How could this man have screwed up so badly that he got mustard and ketchup on the BACK of his shirt?"

Bob

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate the whole designated hitter thing. Always have .

Wow, and I was looking around for something to watch last night. Would have liked to have caught that game.
    Out of that whole crew that really made a run at it a few years back - Miggy is the only one left ! And he’s still good!

Thing is, almost everybody that has left has been absolutely stellar since the Tigers. Not that Verlander wasn’t while he was here, Scherzer too, but come on...

Ouch.

Not a lot of people caught it, but when the GM Avila was getting grilled at the end of last season, one time he literally said “ oh, You think this year was bad? Wait til next year. Next year will be waaaay worse.”

Turns out, he was spot on ! :lol:

Stubee and Bellacaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.